Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lou from SOIA on Sheer Terror (and others)...
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 01:32 PM
Lou from SOIA on Sheer Terror (and others)...

Lou is doing his "Top 10 +1" hardcore records of all time on www.MetalSucks.net

So far he has mentioned...

Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing
Negative Approach - Tied Down
Agnostic Front - Victim in Pain
Snapcase - Progression Through Unlearning
Black Flag - Damaged

and here are his thoughts on...

Sheer Terror, Just Can’t Hate Enough

To me, hardcore is the bastard child of punk and metal. And many bands have perfected that style to great success – most notably Hatebreed. But I’m gonna tell you all about one of the bands that influenced the bands like Hatebreed: Sheer Terror. They were negative, loud, and heavy as hell. There was something so primitive about the music that it touched your most base feelings and made you want to smash everything around you. Whenever I have a bad day, I still put on this CD, and it just makes me feel better that I’m not alone in my misery. Combining hardcore urgency with doom metal riffs, these guys stood alone at any show they played. This album has some of their all time classics: ”Here To Stay,” “Owe You Nothing,” “Twisting and Turning” and the title track are violently heavy! Don’t overlook these guys.

Later,

Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 01:48 PM

Snapcase????????? What the fuck? That doesn't belong anywhere near a list of the best hardcore albums of all time. I wouldn't put that in the top 100.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Johnny_Whistle

Mood: the voices

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 01:55 PM

Perspective is wierd, because I always took Sheer Terror as more tongue-in-cheek. I thought Paul Bearer was hilarious. Maybe that's just me. He's right, though. That's a great album.

http://www.facebook.com/johncurtinmusic

"Making people laugh is the lowest form of comedy"
-Michael O'Donnohue
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
Snapcase????????? What the fuck? That doesn't belong anywhere near a list of the best hardcore albums of all time. I wouldn't put that in the top 100.

^^^^^^^^ No way. That record is mint. I know many, many people that disagree, but I will never understand. That record is freaking amazing. Lyrics, music it just packs every emotion in one cd. I wholeheartedly agree with Lou on this.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 03:05 PM

By the way if anyone has this SNAPCASE on the original colored vinyl lets work something out. I want to add this to my collection.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
sippers

Mood: face value-the price of maturity

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 03:05 PM

i have a soft spot for snapcase saw them in 95 in syracuse still one of the best live shows i've ever seen so much energy the crowd went off.one of my faves from 90's next to face value..

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 03:28 PM

I like some Snapcases songs, but I wouldn't put them on any "best of" lists.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 03:39 PM

I saw soia a long time ago at the outhouse in Lawrence Ks. and Lou says to the crowd, ladies and gentlemen meet Mr. Paul Bearer (or something to that respect) "he taught me everything I know about hardcore singing" i was way the fuck in the back and don't remember much but I know the place went insane as Paul sang something with the band... that was a long long time ago...

anyhow ST rules and I am proud to have Paulie as a member here on this board...
to me it just shows what I have always believed about punk and hardcore...
no stages, no rock stars, no bullshit
those who lucky enough to play in bands for a living are just everyday schmucks like the rest of us,
and could end up working next to use at any given moment on the assembly line!

anyone in band who believes in some rock star fantasy can get the fuck out and will get no support

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 04:51 PM

He says: it just makes me feel better that I’m not alone in my misery.

I says: that sums it up nicely.

One of the best hardcore records I was ever blessed enough to hear
sippers

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lifeisabitch
I saw soia a long time ago at the outhouse in Lawrence Ks. and Lou says to the crowd, ladies and gentlemen meet Mr. Paul Bearer (or something to that respect) "he taught me everything I know about hardcore singing" i was way the fuck in the back and don't remember much but I know the place went insane as Paul sang something with the band... that was a long long time ago...

anyhow ST rules and I am proud to have Paulie as a member here on this board...
to me it just shows what I have always believed about punk and hardcore...
no stages, no rock stars, no bullshit
those who lucky enough to play in bands for a living are just everyday schmucks like the rest of us,
and could end up working next to use at any given moment on the assembly line!

anyone in band who believes in some rock star fantasy can get the fuck out and will get no support
werd!!!im the biggest schmuck any body would want to meet.

spyderdog

Mood: my own dumb ass band....yeah im like that

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 05:17 PM

i totally agree. progression through unlearning totally belongs that high up

sippers

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spyderdog
i totally agree. progression through unlearning totally belongs that high up
i like me some snapcase but to to put them in a league with negative approach,agnostic front,and sheer terror is insane.snapcase maybe a top 100 not a top ten in hardcore.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 08:50 PM

snapcase...fancy talk for boring.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 09:48 PM

I agree with clevo & sippers :D That Snapcase album is sheer genius and the first ever hardcore band I saw & album I owned. I had some comps & Victory samplers before that but they nailed it for me.

I can still sit through that album any day of the week without skipping a song, easily in my top 10.

Lou's comments on the Snapcase album:

Quote:
The early and mid-nineties is when hardcore once again went through a change. Younger bands were not only taking from their roots in the punk/hardcore scene, but branching out into other musical influences. And no one did it better than Snapcase. They were ahead of the pack – you could tell from their early recordings, like Looking Glass Self and the Steps EP, that they were onto something different. It was when Progression Through Unlearning came out, though, that these new influences really showed – and Snapcase set the bar high! The mid-tempo crushing sound they’d had in the past was perfected here, and the Helmet-like rhythms and time changes they mixed-in fit perfectly. Many people point at The Refused’s seminal album The Shape of Punk to Come as the new innovation in hardcore, but they seem to forget: The Refused always followed what Snapcase did first. And yes, Progression came out a year before Shape of Punk did. Snapcase’s influence is far and wide, from the new generation of hardcore bands to some of the big boys like the Deftones. A must-have album.

Later,

Lou

:thumbup: :thumbup:

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-9-2010 at 03:29 PM

Snapcase was one of the few newer (at the time) bands that came out on Victory Records in the 90's that I liked (before they started putting out horrible screamo crap), I always thought they were progressive hardcore that actually progressed in the direction I liked, the only other band I consider progressive hardcore I like is Fucked Up

record collectors are pretentious assholes

Go To Top