Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Sheer Terror...
dgp

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by random

I don't know Joe

no you dont. also add "the logistics in booking a fest" to the list of things you dont know.

print out a list of bands playing and beside each one, write down how much you think joe had to offer each one to get them to play. hint: you are probably not guessing anywhere near the right numbers.

look at YOUR OWN POST:

Quote:
but there's a hell of a lot of money floating around here.

Quote:
Fuck, Paulie even came on here and said.....he's getting paid good money for these shows

where do you think that good money is coming from? because ill tell you, its NOT "floating around here". its paperweighted down with band names written on it.

then add on the cost for the venue, employees and insurance, little shit like all the laminates and the tent rental for the "backyard" and all the band beer and whatever the fuck else expenses there are and you can pretty much kiss your $84k goodbye.

joes beef with the tickets costs - since its obviously not clear - is this:

1. fest goes on sale
2. kids see price of $70
3. kids freak out and bitch and moan

obviously this year, zero kids are complaining about the $70. but he didnt know that going in. he didnt know this was going to sell out so fast and he didnt know it was going to sell out at all (which sounds insane, i know, but this was legitimately a concern of his).

in joes eyes - kids paying $200 a ticket instead of $70 = more money he could have put into the fest. not into his pocket, but into the fest. he could have gotten more supersized bands.

so to see some dipshit online who bought tickets with the intent to sell them and make a profit, well i understand why he is pissed.

as far as the whole likening it to limited colored vinyl, its not the same at all. because you see, when those limited colors run out, the label can print 45456467651 more on black. so if someone cares about the music, they can still own it.

but with a fest, there are no black colored tickets so kids dont get to go at ALL.

REV.PAULIE

[*] posted on 6-17-2010 at 05:01 AM

Doc's Draft Pear Hard Apple Cider...Not too sweet,actually kinda dry...good with narcotics...Dave Moral was asking...

Syke,Nigga!!!!!

Ps: Everything except the Dave part is true...Honest.

Will learn to Tap Dance,eventually...Will have you broads Hula,definitely...Trust me,you'll see.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 6-17-2010 at 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dgp

in joes eyes - kids paying $200 a ticket instead of $70 = more money he could have put into the fest. not into his pocket, but into the fest. he could have gotten more supersized bands.

I'll start by saying that I understand what you're saying, I understand why Joe feels the way he does and I agree with most of it, but if kids are willing to pay $200 a ticket then the tickets could have had a facevalue of $200 if thats what Joe wanted.

I'm sure that the whole thing costs a TON of money to put on and is even more work and stress than money, but if he knows how many tickets he can legally sell and decided to sell them at $75 each then I would assume that $75 x total tickets available = enough to pay for the fest right?

Joe is more than entitiled to make any profit he wants on the thing and charge anything that he wants and thinks people will pay for the tickets but if he decided $75 was enough then the extra money that could have gone to bands based on the 'scalper' prices seems kind of irrelivent.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
dgp

[*] posted on 6-17-2010 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
but if kids are willing to pay $200 a ticket then the tickets could have had a facevalue of $200 if thats what Joe wanted.

joe felt horrible raising the price to $70 (the tickets only came to $75 with the ticketfly fees). he would never make the door price $200. yes, he could have and it still would have sold out, but he would never.

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX

I'm sure that the whole thing costs a TON of money to put on and is even more work and stress than money, but if he knows how many tickets he can legally sell and decided to sell them at $75 each then I would assume that $75 x total tickets available = enough to pay for the fest right?

exactly. the way joe actually does the fest is to figure out how much he will make on tickets (lets use the $84k number as an example). then he minuses out all the non-band costs and then looks at the number he has left, and begins mapping out "okay with this number, i can get these bands......."

my beef with the post i responded to was the implication that "there is money floating out there" and i took it to mean that joe was fattening his pockets off the fest money. even if he was (he isnt), he booked sheer terror. that alone earns him a huge payday in my book.

he busts his ass to do this every year. the first few years, he was scramling like crazy and walking around with an ulcer over the money part and was petrified he bit off more than he could chew. and despite that, he never raised the price significantly until he set out to book superfest.
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 6-17-2010 at 08:51 AM

I understand all that and it makes sense. I cant even imagine the amount of work that goes into booking a show like that. When I had a band I booked a few shows here & there, but even the biggest show was all bands that were willing to play for free and if they were getting paid it was from the club so I was really only getting the bands and not doing any of the other work and even that was stressful sometimes.

It sucks that things didnt all work out the way that Joe wanted, but people will dow what people wanna do wether its reselling colored vinyl or merch or tickets. Its hard to put a stop to that stuff.

Quote:
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-17-2010 at 08:51 AM

aside from all this....I can't wait!
Who on here will be at the Sheer Terror Friday show besides me?....... and Paul of course
REV.PAULIE

[*] posted on 6-17-2010 at 08:58 AM

What's more disturbing to me is that "kids" are complaining about 75 bucks for a 3 day deal,and yet they'd probably pay almost tha much to go see Slayer & 2 opening acts that they don't give a fuck about.

I can understand why anyone who actually is in this "scene" to want HC to be reasonable,but in this day,age,and climate - Why does HC have to sell itself cheap? And,by "cheap",I mean at a loss to the people trying to give you something to do/remember.

Will learn to Tap Dance,eventually...Will have you broads Hula,definitely...Trust me,you'll see.
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 6-17-2010 at 09:14 AM

Quote:

I can understand why anyone who actually is in this "scene" to want HC to be reasonable,but in this day,age,and climate - Why does HC have to sell itself cheap? And,by "cheap",I mean at a loss to the people trying to give you something to do/remember.

VERY TRUE!! When I saw Negative Approach a couple of years ago in Providene I was SO PSYCHED and didnt even think twice about paying $20 to see them. I was telling some people about how good the show was and they immediatly said it was way overpriced. Now these are people in great bands that have been playing warehouses and mills and squats around the world for years so its a different 'scene' in a sense, but I just figured...

1. I had never seen NA before
2. People pay hundreds of dollars for orginal NA records
3. NA dont make money off the resale of 'collectible' records
4. I dont think its to much of anyone to ask for me to contribute $20 to NA for all the influence and amazing music they have contributed to 'the scene'.

It was the same thing when I paid $40 to see Bad Brains at CBGBs. Some people thought it was crazy, but I had never been to CBGBs and had never seen the Bad Brains. When it was all over I had such an amazing time that I would have paid double!!

These are bands that people on message boards preach about and spend tons of money on 'rare' records and 'old' merch, but none of that money goes to the band. I see NO reason what so ever for any band new or old to make some cash. I think all the old bands should get back together and do a reunion tour to 'cash in'... why not!? I would!!

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-17-2010 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Doc's Draft Pear Hard Apple Cider...Not too sweet,actually kinda dry...good with narcotics...Dave Moral was asking...

Syke,Nigga!!!!!

LOL! WTF?

I have no problems with the ticket price for TIH... I knew it would be expensive if I were to get it, and I was going to. To my surprise the fucker sold out like a day after I heard who was playing the fest. So my only complaint... I'm shit outta luck. Oh well.

You want to pay 5-10 bucks to see a bunch of hardcore bands, then you go see your local small time weekender guys. You don't tend to get that kind of a deal on touring bands, reunions, or bands that don't tour full time because they have families to feet with day jobs and still manage to be a pretty big name in hardcore.

Sure, I remember once upon a time getting into shows for 2 bucks for 4 or 5 bands, but that was 10 years ago in the BFE small town I grew up in and most of the bands were local preachy Christian bands, my shitty band was the only one NOT Christian. If I drove to Chicago or Indianapolis for a show the show might have been 10-15 bucks at the door, but you factor in the gas cost and that shit goes up. I used to have to drive and hour and a half to 2 hours for a decent hardcore show.

Besides, how many kids that complain about ticket prices actually put that much effort into being apart of the scene? Most of them aren't in bands. Most of them aren't doing 'zines anymore(not even online 'zines). Most of them don't actually buy the records(not even digital downloads, which I admit I'm guilty of in some respects but I always make sure to put my limited finanacial support into the bands I really really dig and the labels I really dig). Most of them aren't involved in any way in putting on shows. How many fucking house/basement shows are there in Philly anymore? You don't see a ton of flyers in the places you should normally see them. As much as hardcore is supposed to be DIY there's not fucking DIY in the hearts of most of these kids.

You get many of the same kids complaining about ticket prices complaining about the prominence of FSU in the scene. In my experience this is especially true in Philly. Well, if you don't like it how about you stop leaving it to Joe HxC and all the FSU heads here to do the hard work of putting on shows and keeping the life in the scene? Those guys have been facilitating alot of the better shows in this town for a while now.

Makes me think of that one skit thing on Madball's "Hold It Down" album... with the guy saying "fuck all the bands that make money" and it basically making fun of that whole thing. Most of these kids will move on, at some point the hardcore scene will be a fading memory to them. I don't even go out to shows that much anymore, but I can't honestly think of myself outside hardcore or without hardcore and punk music in my life. I don't know if the same can be said for most of the kids out there.

REV.PAULIE

[*] posted on 6-17-2010 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
Quote:

Syke,Nigga!!!!!

LOL! WTF?

I was bored...I knew you'd get a chuckle out of it.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-17-2010 at 09:41 AM

^Thanks!

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-17-2010 at 10:59 AM

$25 to me is chump change and a bargain if you're getting to see so many good bands.
times it by 3 and it still isn't anything large.
If people wanna pay $5 they can wait for Fugazi to reunite.....
I woulda paid $50+ to see JUST Sheer Terror without hesitation, and would have drove to NYC for it.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top