Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: record and new directions and all that
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 11:48 AM
record and new directions and all that

I'm actually psyched up this morning on some new music and I have no friends that give a shit so I'm gonna tell all of you about it.

A few months back I moved out of the practice space that I've long shared with The Scars and Far From Finished. It just got to that point where I wanted my own area. So I lucked out; the practice space where I've been renting happened to open a new floor and I got my name first on the list for the new rooms and got a small and affordable room that suited just one band. I moved in there in March and I've been slowly adding to it as I can by buying a set of drums, sound effects, mics etc. Friday night I finally did some recording in there by hiring Neal Dike to play drums on six songs and then I went back yesterday to work on overdubs. So I'm psyched because it actually WORKED.

It feels so cool to be able to get something done, mix it down and bring it home and have something presentable to send to friends. I sent two MP3's to Rob last night and he emailed me back about them like 10 minutes later. All these years of spending big money on recording and have to wait months for it to be done sucked in retrospect.

So anyway, the stuff I'm doing sounds totally different than anything I've done before and that's been thrilling because it feels like I'm 18 again and feeling my way around uncharted territories. The fact that I was able to suprise my brother with the results was pretty gratifying. But I also think people that like my older stuff will absolutely hate it. That's fine though. I'd rather be excited about the stuff and have people hate it than be bored and well accepted.

So now I just made plans for a friend's band to come down there and record this week. This is some exciting shit for me. I'm really happy today. So there you have it. Feel free to shit on me if you want since that's what the internet is for.

gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 11:55 AM

if this was facebook i'd click that i like this

you come at the king....you best not miss
Johnny_Whistle

Mood: the voices

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 12:31 PM

How radical is the departure from your older stuff? Bluesy, coutry-ish, bluegrass, Motown, zydeco?

http://www.facebook.com/johncurtinmusic

"Making people laugh is the lowest form of comedy"
-Michael O'Donnohue
Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 12:32 PM

Well shit on you......

seriously, that's kickass man. I'm actually glad to hear you're trying a "new" direction or however you would describe it. Always cool to hear people try new shit, especially when it clicks and it sounds like it's clicking for you and all, so that's cool.....

Just be glad you got fucking people you can play with, noone around here (at least anyone with any talent) wants to do jackshit anymore and I'm constantly writing songs, but I have to do it all and, while sometimes, that's great and I would prefer it to be this way, other times it gets kinda old and boring when you have noone to jam with and write with, etc.

Fuck, I miss being young....
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 12:43 PM

HA! That was a hilarious post on several levels.

I'm not sure there is anyone to jam with around here either. Once I make a real record then I'll be looking for people to play in a live band (assuming that it's worth pursuing; the final results could be crap). For now I'm paying people to jam with me which may be either the best road to travel for ease of administration or the most pathetic thing ever. haha

As for the sound, it's different enough that I won't even attempt to promote it to people that were into Ducky Boys, The Unloved, Dirty Water or Sinners & Saints. If I were to play live with it then I'd have to go out and build a whole new audience. None of that "ex members" shit. Change is good but I don't want to make the people that like those bands feel like they have to check this out. Plus there comes a time in life where you need to close the book on the past and do something new.... at least for a while. I don't want to be that guy that keeps trying to live off of past accomplishments (or lack thereof). It's been a great 15 years with that story and it's had many chapters but if I choose to write a sequel book to it then I want it to be uncompromised by whatever I may tool around with in the immediate future.

So to answer your question, Rob thought it sounded like Metallica and Alice in Chains. Which I know is weird but that's the shit I grew up on before I discovered The Bruisers or the Anti-Heros or Rancid so it's sort of natually in there. I'm just tapping into what really appeals to the 14 - 16 year old version of me.

XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 02:14 PM

I can't wait to hear it. I haven't hated anything you have put out yet and am interested in hearing the new direction.

Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
HA! That was a hilarious post on several levels.

I'm not sure there is anyone to jam with around here either. Once I make a real record then I'll be looking for people to play in a live band (assuming that it's worth pursuing; the final results could be crap). For now I'm paying people to jam with me which may be either the best road to travel for ease of administration or the most pathetic thing ever. haha

As for the sound, it's different enough that I won't even attempt to promote it to people that were into Ducky Boys, The Unloved, Dirty Water or Sinners & Saints. If I were to play live with it then I'd have to go out and build a whole new audience. None of that "ex members" shit. Change is good but I don't want to make the people that like those bands feel like they have to check this out. Plus there comes a time in life where you need to close the book on the past and do something new.... at least for a while. I don't want to be that guy that keeps trying to live off of past accomplishments (or lack thereof). It's been a great 15 years with that story and it's had many chapters but if I choose to write a sequel book to it then I want it to be uncompromised by whatever I may tool around with in the immediate future.

So to answer your question, Rob thought it sounded like Metallica and Alice in Chains. Which I know is weird but that's the shit I grew up on before I discovered The Bruisers or the Anti-Heros or Rancid so it's sort of natually in there. I'm just tapping into what really appeals to the 14 - 16 year old version of me.
As per your past accomplishments, I'll be honest, I was never a big Ducky Boys fan for whatever reason. Not saying I think that it's bad, it just didn't click for me. I thought your 1st solo record (I think it was your first one) "Death or Jail" was pretty cool. The second one I would have to spend a little more time with to give an honest assessment. I really do like what you were tapping into with the last 2 Unloved albums. I think there's some really good stuff on those. And the S&S record is just great, period.

If your new stuff has that "metal" sound, that's cool with me. One of the proudest records I've ever been associated with in my life would be (and it's odd, with the thread about the new Danzig album and all if you're familiar with this album) the Kinghorse record in 1990. I thought that was a really really strong album. I've always been a much bigger metal fan than a hardcore fan. But anymore, I love so much various stuff, it really runs the gamut.
ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 02:25 PM

you've always been kinda obsessed with Alice in Chains (seeing them mentioned in many posts that you have done) so I think it's cool you pursue that direction.

Looking forward to hearing new stuff.

Good punk/HC/oi shows coming up. Check out http://myspace.com/refuseresistband
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 02:30 PM

Do you have a link to check out the Kinghorse stuff online?

yeah.... music is totally personal so not everything appeals to everyone. I appreciate you taking the time to hear any of the songs I've ever released even if you weren't into it. I think the last 2 Unloved records sorta realized everything I was trying to accomplish so, for at least today, there's no need to further explore that stuff.

I agree with you on metal over hardcore. sometimes I feel like a lot of hardcore wants to be metal but just can't get the job done. there are obvious exceptions of course. that's really why I prefer Rob's Ramallah record to anything else he ever did cuz I feel like "kill a celebriry" competes with the greats of metal and not just hardcore. but I admit to being biased. ha

Johnny_Whistle

Mood: the voices

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 02:49 PM

So that would be a no on the zydeco? Fair enough. A guy can dream.

Looking forward to the new stuff anyway :yes:

Let me know if you get really desperate for someone to jam with. I gots me a drum kit, two arms and two legs.

http://www.facebook.com/johncurtinmusic

"Making people laugh is the lowest form of comedy"
-Michael O'Donnohue
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Whistle
Let me know if you get really desperate for someone to jam with. I gots me a drum kit, two arms and two legs.

Can you play like Neal Dike?

Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnRefuse
you've always been kinda obsessed with Alice in Chains (seeing them mentioned in many posts that you have done) so I think it's cool you pursue that direction.

Looking forward to hearing new stuff.

Hey Shawn. I missed your comment while I was posting from my cell phone while jogging. Thanks for the encouragement. It means a lot coming from you.

Yeah.... I'm a huge sucker for AIC. Not sure what it is about them that really appeals to everything I enjoy these days but they really nail it. :yes:

Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Do you have a link to check out the Kinghorse stuff online?

yeah.... music is totally personal so not everything appeals to everyone. I appreciate you taking the time to hear any of the songs I've ever released even if you weren't into it. I think the last 2 Unloved records sorta realized everything I was trying to accomplish so, for at least today, there's no need to further explore that stuff.

I agree with you on metal over hardcore. sometimes I feel like a lot of hardcore wants to be metal but just can't get the job done. there are obvious exceptions of course. that's really why I prefer Rob's Ramallah record to anything else he ever did cuz I feel like "kill a celebriry" competes with the greats of metal and not just hardcore. but I admit to being biased. ha

Here's the Kinghorse album if you want to check it out:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vmyvimtlz3z

And yeah, those Unloved albums really seemed to hit the nail on the head as far as that particular style is concerned. I think at a songwriting standpoint, you pretty much nailed it on those albums. Things were really coming together with, say, "Death or Jail", but I think you took it a step forward and really hammered it in with "Homeward Bound".

As for Ramallah, I love that record. I play that album at least once a week and I bought that album as SOON as it hit the shelves, so it's really held up. It's got everything. "Oscar Cotton" sounds like "Seasons In the Abyss" when it begins, but it turns into this perfect blend of pop/metal. Genius. The Lennon cover is perfect. The total metal stuff a la the title track is just great stuff. I would be totally proud if that was my brother that did that record! But you guys together hit the same magnitude grand slam with the S&S record, that is definitely one to be proud of. There's a little Madonna in there and hell, "It's All Coming Down" even reminds me of "Jesse's Girl" for some reason, haha.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 10:40 PM

just now seeing this.
congratulations, mark, glad to hear it's going well.

poop.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 11:59 PM

I love that Dead Skin Mask vibe in Oscar Cotton. It's funny because Rob has released several songs on the Ramallah cd's and on Serenity and Outlaw Anthems that were originally S&S songs that we never recorded and all of them blew my mind with what he was going for with the finished product.

Downloading that CD now. Thanks. I'll get it added to my iPod within a few days and feast my ears to it. :)

morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 03:31 AM

Looking forward to hearing some new songs.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
SS76
Posting Freak

Mood: RAMALLAH

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 06:46 AM

can't wait to hear some of these new songs!....I've always been an AIC fan; still remember getting the Facelift cassette for christmas and a sega genesis the same year. It was the sonic the hedgehog/altered beast soundtrack for a solid year. Couldn't agree more about Kill A Celebrity. Doesn't get any better.

Silence is golden but violence is platinum.
Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
I love that Dead Skin Mask vibe in Oscar Cotton. It's funny because Rob has released several songs on the Ramallah cd's and on Serenity and Outlaw Anthems that were originally S&S songs that we never recorded and all of them blew my mind with what he was going for with the finished product.

Downloading that CD now. Thanks. I'll get it added to my iPod within a few days and feast my ears to it. :)
Yeah, I can tell that some of that stuff sounds a lot like S&S style stuff. Blood For Blood, for me personally got great with the "Livin' In Exile" EP. That's really where it starts for me. I thought "Revenge On Society" had some good stuff on it and I like a few tracks from before that, but I fell in total love with 'em when they turned into more of a rock n' roll band with some hardcore thrown in vs. the total Sheer Terror vibe of the early stuff. Another reason I don't think I would enjoy seeing this "reunion" - Rob just had too much of an unimitable presence on the stuff I like the most. Now, OTOH, Rob could get 3 guys and tour as B4B and I would love the hell out of it, so go figure.

Not sure if you'll dig the Kinghorse album or not. It's in bad need of a remastering job (hard to believe it's now 20 yrs. old, geez, where did all those years go?), but I'm really really proud of that record. I don't think there's a bad song on it. And, other than the production sounding a little dated, I think it still holds up quite well here 20 yrs. on. I'll give Danzig credit where credit is due, he did a good job on the album.
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 08:28 AM

AIC & Metallica?

I'm in!
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

It's in bad need of a remastering job (hard to believe it's now 20 yrs. old, geez, where did all those years go?)

You know what though? There are SO MANY albums out there that could use remastering. Appetite for Destruction, Vulgar Display of Power, all the old Metallica albums. They all sound as quiet as a mouse fart compared to the new stuff. But I think it's safe to say that mastering doesn't make an album great, it only enhances what is already there.

My schedule has been ridiculous this week. And I had a major iTunes fiasco last night. Hopefully I'll get to add this album by tomorrow night and give it a spin.

Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

It's in bad need of a remastering job (hard to believe it's now 20 yrs. old, geez, where did all those years go?)

You know what though? There are SO MANY albums out there that could use remastering. Appetite for Destruction, Vulgar Display of Power, all the old Metallica albums. They all sound as quiet as a mouse fart compared to the new stuff. But I think it's safe to say that mastering doesn't make an album great, it only enhances what is already there.

My schedule has been ridiculous this week. And I had a major iTunes fiasco last night. Hopefully I'll get to add this album by tomorrow night and give it a spin.
Yeah, especially the CD versions of said albums. I have all the old Metallica albums on vinyl and they sound WAY better than the CD copies I have of the same albums. And since you mentioned VDoP, those 2LP Pantera albums they just put out here recently all sound pretty darn good. The CD of the Kinghorse album sounds like complete crap. The vinyl/cassette sounds much much better. Funny how I can remember when CDs were first starting to come out in mass quantity (the long-box days) and they were supposed to be this amazing, crystal clear, pristine listening experience. And they actually sucked in comparison to their vinyl and even cassette counterparts.

I'll probably play around with the album myself and try out some various software a friend of mine uses to enhance albums that he feels need some tweaking here and there and see what I can come up with. He has actually gotten some pretty amazing results with several albums. He made the debut Faster Pussycat (total sleaze rock classic though unfortunately the only one they did that I cared anything about) sound pretty amazing. Did the same with the first several KISS albums.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 6-24-2010 at 02:26 AM

Ya dude your always talking up ALICE IN CHIANS and GNR and stuff. I'd definitely check your stuff out and its cool your charting newer waters.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-24-2010 at 10:08 AM

What did you play in Kinghorse?

Unrelated, I did some recording with Rob last night. It was awesome to see the master at work. It was a humbling experience because I just did that recording last week and what I'm doing is in the heavier end of music for the first time for me. He showed up last night and just trumped the shit out of all of my efforts with his first song. Shit is tiiiiiight! Brutal. Still on. Dude still has it. I can't wait to hear more. And then I can't wait for people to get to hear it. Dude knows heavy music like the back of his hand.

Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

[*] posted on 6-24-2010 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
What did you play in Kinghorse?

Unrelated, I did some recording with Rob last night. It was awesome to see the master at work. It was a humbling experience because I just did that recording last week and what I'm doing is in the heavier end of music for the first time for me. He showed up last night and just trumped the shit out of all of my efforts with his first song. Shit is tiiiiiight! Brutal. Still on. Dude still has it. I can't wait to hear more. And then I can't wait for people to get to hear it. Dude knows heavy music like the back of his hand.
Guitar.

That's good to hear about Rob. Glad to hear he still "has it". Is he working on a new record himself or did you mean you two were working on a new song together for a project you're doing together?
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-24-2010 at 05:51 PM

I'm just playing bass on his stuff.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top