Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: got fired
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

thumbdown.gif posted on 6-22-2010 at 09:05 AM
got fired

Well after 11 years working for a company I got shitcanned yesterday.
It was quite obvious that the tactics involved were retaliation for speaking to the HR manager about the harrassment of people in my department.
After 11 years of stellar reviews, never having being written up or ever receiving a verbal warning, I was canned over something laughable.
with any luck I will get approved for unemployment compensation.
until then, I'm kinda screwed.
I have to say if it wasnt for the fact that I have a great kid and an awesome girlfriend, I may very well have eaten a bottle of pills yesterday. I've been pretty shaky at best for the last couple years.

anyways time to try and revamp this resume and make myself sound like the employee of the month.

FTW
panzerkreuzer
Posting Freak

Mood: gang green

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 09:20 AM

sorry to read this. keep your head up.

Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
It was quite obvious that the tactics involved were retaliation for speaking to the HR manager about the harrassment of people in my department.
After 11 years of stellar reviews, never having being written up or ever receiving a verbal warning, I was canned over something laughable.
I have to say if it wasnt for the fact that I have a great kid and an awesome girlfriend, I may very well have eaten a bottle of pills yesterday. I've been pretty shaky at best for the last couple years.

anyways time to try and revamp this resume and make myself sound like the employee of the month.

FTW

It's absolutely illegal for a company to retaliate against you for something like that. It's covered under the federal whistle blower laws. Of course, they may try to fire you for something unrelated but I think you have the right to fight back. Call the attorney general's office in your state and tell them what happened and see what they tell you. You might have grounds to sue the shit out of them and crush them.

As a side note, there is legal precedent that you can even sue the supervisor or manager that wronged you if you're looking for personal revenge. :yes:

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo

FTW

It's absolutely illegal for a company to retaliate against you for something like that. It's covered under the federal whistle blower laws. Of course, they may try to fire you for something unrelated but I think you have the right to fight back. Call the attorney general's office in your state and tell them what happened and see what they tell you. You might have grounds to sue the shit out of them and crush them.

As a side note, there is legal precedent that you can even sue the supervisor or manager that wronged you if you're looking for personal revenge. :yes:

My girlfriend's Vice President of her company gave me similar advice about lawyering up.
I might have a decent case, but will have to see. I've never been fired before. shit at nearly 36 I have only worked in 3 places.
There as sexual harrassment involved here too. I was more or less going in and backing up a 60 year old female coworker, who is one of the nicest people I ever met.
Hopefully things turn out ok and turns out to be a step in a new direction.
I hated that place.
I hated 80% of the people in there.
It was giving me a friggin ulcer.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 09:55 AM

I'm the hatchet man at my company. I've fired dozens of people (which is ironic in my family because my father is the President of a union and it's his job to fight against people like me). I've NEVER fired anyone because of retaliation and I've never fired anyone without a long paper trail to back me up*. A company that doesn't have a paper trail can't even win an unemployment hearing, nevermind a court case with a real judge. By paper trail I mean documentation that they spoke with you about the fact that you were violating a policy, then they provided you with a documented verbal warning, a written warning, termination. They even want to see written proof that the policy was communicated and sometimes they want proof that the person received it and signed off. This is an arbitrator looking things over, not a judge.

*I've had to terminate people without documentation when there was gross negligence involved. We work in a Customer Contact Center so maybe they were hanging up on people. And I had a person that was falsifying their payroll. Those sorts of things are grounds for immediate dismissal but being a witness in a sexual harrassment case that may cast the company in a negative light is NOT a reason to terminate. Ever. It sounds like you work for an organization that just has no regard for the law and I recommend you do them dry just to teach them a lesson.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 10:23 AM

sorry to hear the news, juan.
i like the sounds of talking to a lawyer.
stay strong though this and concentrate on the positive.
holler at me if you want, and when i'm back in town we'll grab a beer.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 10:28 AM

quinn....get at me if ya need to talk homles

you come at the king....you best not miss
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 10:29 AM

Sorry to hear this brother. It sounds like you got some good advice on THORP so far. You might want to do this. It wouldn't hurt to talk to a lawyer. Thats not always the answer, but it might be in your case.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 10:31 AM

yeah man, lawyer up. I am not into the whole sue happy thing of the US but you gave them 11 years of your life to get f-ed for helping someone. BS

Good punk/HC/oi shows coming up. Check out http://myspace.com/refuseresistband
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 10:43 AM

Shitty news Juan. Keep your head up. As a side note on the lawyer thing, companies can fire somebody without cause, as long as they state that as being the reason when they terminate somebody.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnRefuse
yeah man, lawyer up. I am not into the whole sue happy thing of the US but you gave them 11 years of your life to get f-ed for helping someone. BS

I'm with you there. But I think most fake lawsuits in this country come from bullshit injuries. Like assholes that intentionally trip and fall outside of a Walmart and then sue Walmart, the landlord, the City and the Vatican just for good measure (kidding on that last one). Violation of your rights, property or dignity are true wrong doings are worth fighting against.

Furly
Posting Freak

Mood: Not your band.

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 10:44 AM

That sucks dude.... sorry to hear.

Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
Shitty news Juan. Keep your head up. As a side note on the lawyer thing, companies can fire somebody without cause, as long as they state that as being the reason when they terminate somebody.

Well, all employment is considered "employment at will" unless you're under a contract and either side can separate at any time if one person is in breach of the employment agreement. Be warned, they could fire you for spending too much time on the Thorp Board if they have a policy against internet use. But really that should follow the usual protocol of Corrective Action first. Unless you downloaded a virus that crippled the company's infrastructure.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 11:00 AM

thanks for you input peeps. i appreciate it.
i have to wait and see how tis shit pans out.
in the meantime i really need to keep my head up and keep it on straight.
there was a lot of history here that may or may not have been involved.
I guess we'll see.
It's not like i wanna make a buck off of any of this.
i just wanna keep a roof over our heads and keep the power on and my son fed.
neither of us have any family to speak of to go to if soemthing were to crap out.
i really hated those people though and if anything i sholuld feel rleived i dont have to seal with them ever again.
necrobutcher

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 11:06 AM

chin up Juan. Fight like hell to get the unemployment and see what else there is out there.
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 12:21 PM

Really sorry to hear that man. I hate people.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
DeLorenzo

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 01:28 PM

Sorry to hear the news, man. Hope it all works out in your favor!
Vanilla Gorilla
Posting Freak

Mood: Yellow Stitches

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 01:37 PM

Sucks, sorry man

Well I've got a feeling I'm gonna get mine in. Retribution let the games begin.
morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 03:11 PM

Sorry to hear man.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 03:40 PM

This might seem like a low point in life, but no matter how low it seems, once you are under ground there is no getting back up to fight.

As long as you have feet to stand on things will get better but you have to try to look at the positive things in life.

I have seen some of the most horrible people come thru my life and fuck things up to a point where I almost gave up. You just can't let their fucked up mentality bring you to their level.

It's like this, there is 1 known planet with any kind of life on it, and you can't let one species of shit heads fuck up your 1 chance at living on it.

the best advice I ever heard if you don't like your life, change it.
move to a new city, meet new people, get a new job, but don't fucking give in.

Go find a new job and fight these fucks head on, you can't let people like that shit on good people

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lifeisabitch
This might seem like a low point in life, but no matter how low it seems, once you are under ground there is no getting back up to fight.

As long as you have feet to stand on things will get better but you have to try to look at the positive things in life.

I have seen some of the most horrible people come thru my life and fuck things up to a point where I almost gave up. You just can't let their fucked up mentality bring you to their level.

It's like this, there is 1 known planet with any kind of life on it, and you can't let one species of shit heads fuck up your 1 chance at living on it.

Go find a new job and fight these fucks head on, you can't let people like that shit on good people

you're the man dude.
thanks, I needed that.
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lifeisabitch

^^^what this guy said, especially since i try to constantly remind myself of it, too!!!

best advice i can give is to pick up a case of yuengling, get wrecked tonight and forget about everything, then wake up tomorrow and try to find a way to make something positive out of a shitty situation.

after 11 years, you probably either love or hate this kind of work. if you love it, you got a ton of experience to go somewhere else. if you hate it, you're 35 and have a chance to start fresh on something new. my mom sewed blue jeans at a Levi's factory until she was 38. factory closed, and she used the severance package to study graphic design and has been much happier ever since. i have some vague notion that you work in a restaurant based on old posts, but i might just be making that shit up in my head. if so, maybe now is a time for culinary school. maybe a new line of work. maybe you need a break from philly. fuck if i know. but you'll probably end up on unemployment for a bit. you can do nothing - like a lot of people - and then be angry and broke when it's done. or you can use the time to come up with a new plan (which, if your life is like mine, will fail... and then you start again) and make the best of a shitty situation.

i feel like i'm giving the cliche "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade" speech. but that makes me think of Paulie's vocals on an NRSV song saying exactly that. but i think he then starts rambling about how he's gotten dragged out into the city to record his vocals for some shitty album. :) then again, this is the only place where that anecdote might be helpful.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
MattyA

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 07:03 PM

Sorry to hear that man, keep your head up.
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 08:13 PM

take Mark's advice.

seriously.
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 08:19 PM

Time for projects! I just got a surprise lay off about a week and a half ago. Refinishing my kitchen right now, shit takes forever. Never would have been able to do it if I hadn't been canned though.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top