Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Was Blood for Blood referencing Guns N' Roses?
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-7-2010 at 09:49 AM
Was Blood for Blood referencing Guns N' Roses?

I have my music on a random shuffle right now and just listened to Blood for Blood "Chaos"and then Guns N' Roses "Garden of Eden" came out and in the song one of the lines is "I've been dragging my heels With a bitch called hope".

So, I was just wondering if this was probably a Guns refference or if the term is more common than I know.

random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-7-2010 at 10:01 AM

Given Rob's well-known love for Guns N Roses along with his tendency to borrow a line here and there (as an homage, not an attempt to steal anything, in case that wasn't clear), I doubt it's a coincidence.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
Spoiler
Posting Freak

Mood: All that scene philosophy never meant a goddamned thing to me

[*] posted on 8-7-2010 at 10:34 AM

I remember some people on another board making a big deal out of B4B stealing guns n roses lyrics when this song came out.

XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-7-2010 at 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spoiler
I remember some people on another board making a big deal out of B4B stealing guns n roses lyrics when this song came out.

Wow, that is funny. I think of it just as Random posted above, as an "homage" to bands / musicians they like.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 8-8-2010 at 09:03 PM

I never even heard that GNR song. I'll have to check it out.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
mike_

[*] posted on 8-9-2010 at 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore

Make sure to check out the video for the song as well. It's hillarious.

If it bleeds, we can kill it.
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-9-2010 at 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mike_
Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore

Make sure to check out the video for the song as well. It's hillarious.

Yes! I think it was filmed in one take and just thrown together after the filming of one of their other videos. Good stuff.

Brit

[*] posted on 8-9-2010 at 11:29 AM

This video brings so much joy to my life: "Garden of Eden"

And I believe the answer to your question is yes.

"I was born to hustle roses down the avenues of the dead." - c.bukowski

music - buy my EP! + iTunes + facebook + myspace
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 8-9-2010 at 08:32 PM

I remember that vid I was a big deal around 93 or so right because it didn't cost shit to make. From that spaghetti sauce cd or whatever right?

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 8-9-2010 at 11:03 PM

I know this is sacrilegious but I always have and always will think Guns N' Rose eat/ate dog dicks. Never could dig them.
morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 8-10-2010 at 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CR83
I know this is sacrilegious but I always have and always will think Guns N' Rose eat/ate dog dicks. Never could dig them.

Agreed.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-10-2010 at 03:44 AM

Quote:

you come at the king....you best not miss
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 8-10-2010 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gavin
Quote:

Veritas odium parit
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 8-10-2010 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
Quote:
Quote:

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-10-2010 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by XnMeX
So, I was just wondering if this was probably a Guns refference or if the term is more common than I know.

Definitely a GNR reference. Rob made references to a lot of other songs in his songs. There's this one. "The sign in the road says I'm going nowhere" is a nod to "Two Fists Full of Nuthin" by the Bruisers. "Maybe someday we'll find ourselves a way" is a nod to "We'll Find a Way" by Ducky Boys. "This is the end" on the Ramallah EP is a nod to The Doors. "Hello. Hello again" from Sinners & Saints is a nod to Oasis. And then there's a reference to John Lennon's "Gimme Some Truth" in a song on "Kill a Celebrity". I think he does it tastefully because there's a fine line between a tribute and a rip off.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 8-10-2010 at 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by newbreedbrian
Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
Quote:
Quote:

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-10-2010 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
Quote:

Definitely a GNR reference. Rob made references to a lot of other songs in his songs. There's this one. "The sign in the road says I'm going nowhere" is a nod to "Two Fists Full of Nuthin" by the Bruisers. "Maybe someday we'll find ourselves a way" is a nod to "We'll Find a Way" by Ducky Boys. "This is the end" on the Ramallah EP is a nod to The Doors. "Hello. Hello again" from Sinners & Saints is a nod to Oasis. And then there's a reference to John Lennon's "Gimme Some Truth" in a song on "Kill a Celebrity". I think he does it tastefully because there's a fine line between a tribute and a rip off.

Yeah, I knew a few of those, my favorite being the Bruisers nod. I knew you were into GnR bigtime but wasn't 100% sure if Rob was.

random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-10-2010 at 06:05 PM

While many here obviously hate GNR, I loved them as a kid in '87-'88 until whenever (early or mid 90s). Didn't give them a listen since then until very recently. Gotta say, I love Appetite era GNR again. It's an amazing mix of (Aerosmith-style) classic rock, blues (guessing because of Izzy), and good punk (guessing Duff). Aside from their appearance, the glam metal thing is irrelevant. But it's not just the music... those guys were clearly on the edge of self-destruction at the time (watch some old videos, especially the live show in '88 from the Ritz). It's such an amazing blend of different music styles (some of which required real talent) by guys who could barely hold it together, all the while doing something totally innovative.

I'll admit that I like some Velvet Revolver covers of GNR songs, but it's not even close to what GNR was doing '86-'90.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-10-2010 at 09:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
Quote:

Yeah, I knew a few of those, my favorite being the Bruisers nod. I knew you were into GnR bigtime but wasn't 100% sure if Rob was.

Yes. He was the one that introduced me to GNR when I was 11 or 12. Also, Sinners & Saints is like a giant GNR rip.

Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 8-11-2010 at 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by random
Gotta say, I love Appetite era GNR

Appetite still kills, I've never been sick of that album since I had it on cassette, wore out the first one & got another, then had the CD. It's on my iPod and I still listen to it regularly.

The other albums, meh not so much. Illusions 2 and that was about it.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
mattybar

[*] posted on 8-11-2010 at 09:49 AM

Appetite for Destruction is a truly great album.

Go To Top