Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: Hammer and the Nails maxi ep out now....
ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-4-2010 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean
I definitely don't feel like $10 is fleecing anyone, but maybe I'm out of touch.
Regardless what anyone thinks, no money being made label-wise, you can be sure of that.

P.S: HATN are better than 90% of "oi!" bands on this planet, by the way.

I know that vinyl is crazy expensive to produce (which is why no one will put ours out) and especially a 12". I know that there is no money being made by label, or even the band. I think it's because we live in a Dollar-a-song world today. Sucks, but it's true. I will probably buy one when I get a record player again.

Good punk/HC/oi shows coming up. Check out http://myspace.com/refuseresistband
Johnny_Whistle

Mood: the voices

[*] posted on 10-5-2010 at 08:27 AM

I'm not accusing anyone of fleecing anyone else. But as a musician, the novelty of having a vinyl release takes a back seat to getting my music out there, period. And when you can get a full length cd produced on a budget that lets you sell it for $10 (and you can put out a very nice looking cd for relatively little dough), I don't see why you'd want to go to the expense of putting out a 12", other than novelty, and who can afford novelty these days? Don't get me wrong, I love vinyl, and I'm glad that companies are starting to release it again. But most people have cd players in their cars and mp3 players everywhere else. Wouldn't you want folks to just have your music first and foremost?

Sorry if I'm raining on your parade. Good luck with it and all, really.

http://www.facebook.com/johncurtinmusic

"Making people laugh is the lowest form of comedy"
-Michael O'Donnohue
hammerxnails

[*] posted on 10-5-2010 at 11:03 AM

I don't care at all really. The label is the one flushing the money down the toilet putting out records. Pretty sure they won't have any problem recouping the cost of doing vinyl though. You are fooling yourself if you think you can move CDs quicker than vinyl these days. CDs are a complete waste of money since people will just download it off the internet. With vinyl people can buy a hard copy and then steal it off the internet and they have something interesting instead of some shitty piece of plastic.
Sean

[*] posted on 10-5-2010 at 12:53 PM

I suppose I would take issue with the statement that vinyl is a "novelty." I just assumed it was the favored format for most people into what Rock'n'Roll Disgrace is putting out. I know it's the prefered format of the people the label works with. Hammer and the Nails' demo was put out on CD, and feedback was overwhelming for vinyl for the actual release. Recouping money isn't really a concern of the band or the label, really. If that were the case, the label wouldn't be doing 'subculture friendly' releases. Believe me, the people who want the Hammer and the Nails record will get it, one way or another.
Vanilla Gorilla
Posting Freak

Mood: Yellow Stitches

[*] posted on 10-5-2010 at 01:42 PM

I am one of the few that still likes CD's, it's easy to store, and get into mp3 so i can get it on my ipod. but i still do buy some stuff on vinyl.

My only issue with vinyl is i don't have a set up to get vinyl into Mp3 so i can get it on my ipod, i still by some vinyl though. It's great when you can get the vinyl and the company gives you a code for download.

Well I've got a feeling I'm gonna get mine in. Retribution let the games begin.
Johnny_Whistle

[*] posted on 10-5-2010 at 01:51 PM

Well I can only speak for my band, but our three CDs sell very well at our shows. And as far as my use of the term "novelty," can you tell me about any record store, with the exception of one that specifically deals in used records, that has a larger vinyl section than a cd section? I live in the Boston area too, with a pretty good mix of large chains and independents, and I can't think of a single one. Vinyl is a novelty these days, whether you and your friends prefer it or not.

Sell the record however you want, it's no skin off my nose. All I did was say that $10 is a lot for five songs, which in this market it is. Is it a wallet-buster? No, probably not. Value for your dollar is all I'm taking about.

And by the way, I still have a ton of old vinyl. I have nothing against it whatsoever.

-Michael O'Donnohue
Sean

[*] posted on 10-5-2010 at 02:28 PM

When I think of shops that sell CDs, I think of Best Buy/Borders. The record shops that I frequent are just that, record shops. But yeah, they are definitely smaller and more specialized. I can't speak for Boston (though I was at In Your Ear a few weeks back and they had zero CDs) but Chicago stores like Reckless (all three locations) Dave's, Reggie's, Dusty Groove, et al are all more heavily populated by vinyl. While I can see a case being made for there being more CDs at larger stores like Newbury, it is just not the case with the majority of the records shops in Chicago. Look at places like VIRGIN and TOWER. Gone the way of the dinosaur. What has prevailed are indie shops and mom & pop places.

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue or sound too combative, or get anyone to shell out for what they feel is too pricey a piece of vinyl, I'm just saying, I wouldn't call it a novelty, especially now that you can get releases from major labels on vinyl these days. When Coldplay put out vinyl, you know it aint dead. But there's no need to argue semantics.

Kind of like you said about vinyl, I have nothing against CDs and own a shit ton of them, but it's just not my prefered format when putting out music or when buying it, really.

I agree with Vanilla Gorilla who said the best thing is when vinyl provides you with a download. That does rule for iPods sake. PAINKILLER Records are great about that, and the new TROUBLE ep comes with a download.

Johnny_Whistle

[*] posted on 10-5-2010 at 02:49 PM

Well again, In Your Ear is a used record shop.

Anyway, again, I wasn't trying to put anyone down or anything, just giving my two cents. For what it's worth, I think it'd be cool if the Gobshites did a vinyl release some day. Although we'd probably make the sleeve in the form of a lamp shade or something...

-Michael O'Donnohue
REV.PAULIE

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 04:53 AM

Are the Concrete Gods Lp's available on vinyl?

Will learn to Tap Dance,eventually...Will have you broads Hula,definitely...Trust me,you'll see.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 09:19 AM

James William Bottomtooth. HAHA

hammerxnails

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
Are the Concrete Gods Lp's available on vinyl?

Not sure if they are pressing that on vinyl yet. Definitely a really good record though. They have a new 7 inch coming out on RRD and there is a link here to some "charity single" they did on here too:

http://www.rnrdisgrace.com/

Hammer and the Nails "Overpriced Novelty" EP is sold out for now. Probably have more in a week or two for all the new fans we have made on here.
ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 10:46 AM

oh well, too late again. LOL. someday I will have one of your releases.

Jim Bottomtooth

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
James William Bottomtooth. HAHA

What?
REV.PAULIE

[*] posted on 10-8-2010 at 06:00 AM

The 2 Concrete Gods Lp's are friggin' great...I downloaded both (Ilegally,yes...Sue me)...They're the kind of albums I'd really like to have on vinyl..And,I'd pay good money for them,as well.

Will learn to Tap Dance,eventually...Will have you broads Hula,definitely...Trust me,you'll see.
wez138

Mood: TMMB's.

[*] posted on 10-9-2010 at 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
The 2 Concrete Gods Lp's are friggin' great...I downloaded both (Ilegally,yes...Sue me)...They're the kind of albums I'd really like to have on vinyl..And,I'd pay good money for them,as well.

I don't think Dave the guitarist would really care if you downloaded them, He care's more about people enjoying his/there music. Check out Superyob and Evil conduct too.

Living a life kept shut by a dream,
I'm reaching out to grasp my reality.
Hands of time wrap tight around my neck, and hit me so hard,
leaving me eyes black.
staring at a ceiling,
wondering why i never left,
penning words in a notebook,
wondering why haven't slept.
sanity is tapping in a cell
inside my fucking head.
begging for redemption
after hearing what was said.
the nights, they will not sleep
cause the days, have played for keeps.
Vanilla Gorilla
Posting Freak

Mood: Yellow Stitches

[*] posted on 10-19-2010 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hammerxnails
Quote:
Originally posted by DAK
:money:

Yes, these cost money. Now get back to tweeting Ben Weasel about his shitty band.

Quote:
I'd order but i've been waiting on some stuff that i ordered for about 7+ months

Send me a PM and I will look into this for you.

PM sent

Well I've got a feeling I'm gonna get mine in. Retribution let the games begin.
SAL

[*] posted on 10-20-2010 at 04:37 PM

My favorite part of this award winning thread is the fact that the protagonist does not own a record player. That's some detached-ass posting. Nice.
ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-20-2010 at 05:25 PM

I still think 10 bucks is a lot. That was the original argument.

Am I the protagonist? Or, is it Johnny. Usually I am antagonistic.

Either way, I now have a record player again. Which is great because it's been a few years since I could listen to some stuff that I only had on vinyl (that didn't get trashed in my parents basement flood 8 years ago). Seeing how I don't actually do illegal downloads.

Do you still have that T&tT 7" I asked you to put aside "SAL"? Happy b-day by the way.

hammerxnails

[*] posted on 10-20-2010 at 11:09 PM

I am pushing for them to raise it to 12 bucks just to keep all the riff raff from buying it.
ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 11:40 PM

make it 20 then it's a collectors item.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 06:19 AM

That Concrete Gods stuff is amazing...and the Pulp cover was a nice surprise.
hammerxnails

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 04:00 PM

Regular release now available:

http://rocknrolldisgracerecords.bigcartel.com/product/hammer...

First 100 on clear wax with a poster of me posing up against a brick wall.

Complain about the price below...
ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 05:11 PM

nice. I can't wait to hang your pic up in my cubicle. It's a brick wall so, it will feel like you are here with me.

BTW, I am a wiseass, take whatever I say with a few grains of salt. I am ordering it today.

Barnesey

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 08:48 PM

I have a record store that stocks new releases. I don't stock cd's any longer and the only ones I have are old stock that I'm trying to sell off online. 99% of what I sell is vinyl. When I did have cd's in the actual storefront they hardly ever sold. I work for another label/record store and it's the same deal. They do stock cd's but not that much because they just don't sell anymore.

Novelty? I've been collecting records for over 25 years now. It's what I dig and I don't see the "novelty" wearing off anytime soon.

I see nothing wrong with $10 for a 12" ep. People will buy em and I'm sure they'll sell out of the pressing. Even after that, the label will MAYBE break even. At this point, anyone putting out records like this is because they love it. There's no money to be made in this scene. Cd's are super cheap to make, it's the only reason people are still releasing them.

Live Fast Die Young
Push It To The Limit \'Til The Coffin Calls
hammerxnails

[*] posted on 10-29-2010 at 10:21 AM

36 copies left. Act fast: http://rocknrolldisgracerecords.bigcartel.com/product/hammer...
 Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top