Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anarchy Evolution
JerseyBoy

[*] posted on 10-12-2010 at 05:32 PM
Anarchy Evolution

I was just wondering if anyone on this board has had a chance to read this book? I just finished it last night and i thought it was great. i highly recommend it.

it was written by greg graffin from bad religion in case anyone is wondering, the book combines the story of bad religion along with his "naturalist" philosophy.
gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-12-2010 at 05:43 PM

what's a "naturalist" philosophy?

you come at the king....you best not miss
JerseyBoy

[*] posted on 10-12-2010 at 06:03 PM

since i suck at explaining things in my own words, here's the shortest explanation i could find:

naturalism, in philosophy, a position that attempts to explain all phenomena and account for all values by means of strictly natural (as opposed to supernatural) categories. The particular meaning of naturalism varies with what is opposed to it. It is usually considered the opposite of idealism, is sometimes equated with empiricism or materialism, and is not easily distinguished from positivism. Naturalism limits itself to a search for causes and takes little account of reasons. Naturalism in the broad sense has been maintained in diverse forms by Aristotle, the Cynics, the Stoics, Giordano Bruno, Spinoza, Thomas Hobbes, Auguste Comte, Friedrich Nietzsche, Karl Marx, William James, John Dewey, and Alfred North Whitehead, philosophers who differ widely on specific questions. Some, like Comte and Nietzsche, were professed atheists, while others accepted a god in pantheistic terms. Aristotle, James, and Dewey all attempted to explain phenomena in terms of biological processes of perception; Spinoza and the idealists tended to emphasize metaphysics; later thinkers of all schools have placed emphasis on unifying the scientific viewpoint with an all-encompassing reality. This amalgamation of science and an overall explanation of the universe in naturalistic terms is the source of much of contemporary philosophic thought.

gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-12-2010 at 06:12 PM

naturalism, in philosophy, a position that attempts to explain all phenomena and account for all values by means of strictly natural (as opposed to supernatural) ....

if that's the case, i agree.....but i kinda hate bad religion.....like alot

you come at the king....you best not miss
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 10-12-2010 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gavin
naturalism, in philosophy, a position that attempts to explain all phenomena and account for all values by means of strictly natural (as opposed to supernatural) ....

if that's the case, i agree.....but i kinda hate bad religion.....like alot
Just what I was thinking.

Veritas odium parit
lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-12-2010 at 11:46 PM

I get so much shit from people for hating on bad religion
too bad I just hate pop punk...
but I am down for naturalism as well...

REV.PAULIE

[*] posted on 10-13-2010 at 06:56 AM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...Uh...Wha..? The whoziwhatzits?

Will learn to Tap Dance,eventually...Will have you broads Hula,definitely...Trust me,you'll see.
JerseyBoy

[*] posted on 10-13-2010 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE

Actually there's a part in the book where greg graffin mentions going to mr. brett's music studio and mr. brett plays him this tape of this guy he just recorded and all he keeps saying is "just can't hate enough" on the recording. was wondering if that was you? i believe this was sometime in 1987 according to the book.
REV.PAULIE

[*] posted on 10-13-2010 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JerseyBoy
Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE

Actually there's a part in the book where greg graffin mentions going to mr. brett's music studio and mr. brett plays him this tape of this guy he just recorded and all he keeps saying is "just can't hate enough" on the recording. was wondering if that was you? i believe this was sometime in 1987 according to the book.

Thankfully,No....Don't know that guy,outside of telling him not to wear a dopey hat if he wants any girl to take him seriously AFTER the Rancid guys told me he was "sensitive" about his thinning mane...

Will learn to Tap Dance,eventually...Will have you broads Hula,definitely...Trust me,you'll see.

Go To Top