Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: what was the first punk band?
Kid Ugly

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
Whatever the first band was to have the term "punk" to applied to them was the first punk band. If you're talking about some sort of devil-may-care attitude that some musicians had prior to the punk thing then you can start with Robert Johnson and misappropriate the term to about 500 bands between his time and the Sex Pistols. But none of those bands were punk bands until there was punk music.

I can definitely get on board with this. According to what I've read/heard, then the answer would be the Ramones. Some journalist had gone to see them to write a review and in it, he called it "punk music," meaning it as an insult more than anything else.
Vanilla Gorilla
Posting Freak

Mood: Yellow Stitches

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 02:11 PM

From wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt:

The first known use of the phrase punk rock appeared in the Chicago Tribune on March 22, 1970, attributed to Ed Sanders, cofounder of New York's anarcho-prankster band The Fugs. Sanders was quoted describing a solo album of his as "punk rock—redneck sentimentality".[71]

Dave Marsh was the first music critic to employ the term punk rock: In the May 1971 issue of Creem, he described ? and the Mysterians, one of the most popular 1960s garage rock acts, as giving a "landmark exposition of punk rock".[74] Later in 1971, in his fanzine Who Put the Bomp, Greg Shaw wrote about "what I have chosen to call 'punk rock' bands—white teenage hard rock of '64-66 (Standells, Kingsmen, Shadows of Knight, etc.)".[75] Lenny Kaye used the term "classic garage-punk," in reference to a song recorded in 1966 by The Shadows of Knight, in the liner notes of the anthology album Nuggets, released in 1972.[76] In June 1972, the fanzine Flash included a "Punk Top Ten" of 1960s albums.[77] In February 1973, Terry Atkinson of the Los Angeles Times, reviewing the debut album by a hard rock band, Aerosmith, declared that it "achieves all that punk-rock bands strive for but most miss."[78] Three months later, Billy Altman launched the short-lived punk magazine.[79]

Well I've got a feeling I'm gonna get mine in. Retribution let the games begin.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top