Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Beer dudes, let's say you're throwing a party...
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 12:45 PM
Beer dudes, let's say you're throwing a party...

Gimme a list of four options you'd have for your guests. Keep it reasonable - this isn't an "if money was no object" kind of list. But if you're having people over, and you want to present a diverse selection for your homies, what do you go with?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
SS76
Posting Freak

Mood: RAMALLAH

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 12:57 PM

The only kegs I've ever bought were Busch, Bud, or Honey Brown. Most girls I know will drink the Honey Brown, so its always a safe bet to have around and its fairly inexpensive. And always keep a couple 30 packs for a reserve. Buy a good 12 pack for yourself, though.

Silence is golden but violence is platinum.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 01:01 PM

We had a few people over last weekend, and this is what I went with...

We keep a case of Strongbow on tap cause my wife is a fan, but we have a couple friends with wheat allergies, too, so cider is a good option for them.

I picked up two sixes of each of these from Wegmans after spending an hour reviewing the 500+ options:

The Breckenridge Brewery Vanilla Porter sounded too good to pass up. This did NOT disappoint.
http://www.breckbrew.com/beer/vanillaporter.html

The Brawler was the only offering I liked from a Yards sampler I had about a year ago. It's a sweet ale that goes down real easy.
http://www.yardsbrewing.com/ales_brawler.asp

Acknowledging that my tastes run toward heavier beers and beers with higher alcohol content, I picked up the Blue Point Toasted Lager because I wanted something kind of mild and more middle of the road, but not boring. This was definitely different from a standard lager, but was still just OK. Hard to describe the 'toasted' part, but the flavor was definitely there.
http://www.bluepointbrewing.com/beer_information.html

The Vanilla Porter was the runaway favorite. They were gone by the end of the day. The cider was equally popular, but that is largely due to the limited options of the allergy sufferer.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 01:05 PM

I would just mix some 6 packs of anything that doesn't come from Bud, Miller or Coors.

Maybe a pils or ale Ale, a wheat, a red or brown, a stout or something with some more flavor.

That way there's plenty of styles that wont intimidate people who thing because beer is "cold filtered" or "triple hopped" it's a "microbrew"...and you can also fill those categories nicely with locals beers (Victory for example) and help promote some local breweries.
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 04:10 PM

It depends. Are they people who are open to trying things and interested in good beer (even a little)? Do you know anything about beers that they DO like? If they're definitely interested but don't know anything about good beer really I'd pick 4 very different styles to show how varied beer can be. Let's say a Lambic (nothing too over the top sour but a good traditional one), a Hefeweizen, a solid stout (again nothing too over the top, just a nice solid one), and a moderately hoppy IPA or Pale Ale. If nothing else, they'd come out realizing that pale lagers are far from the only beer style.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 04:15 PM

I like brian's idea. Also, it'd be cool if you had some sampler size glasses (are those like 4oz? 6oz?), so a few people can all try the same bottle... encourages people to try new things since they won't have to drink the whole thing or feel bad for not drinking it if it's not their cup of, er, beer. They can always grab a full bottle afterwards if they dig it.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
DAK
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 05:02 PM

I tell 'em BYOB.:frog:
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DAK
I tell 'em BYOB.:frog:

Amen brother ;-)

Actually in St. Louis all you need is anything by Anheuser Busch. When I drank, I usually had a bunch of tall boys and some malt liquor.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 11:17 PM

I'm throwing a surprise 30th party at a friend's place for my girlfriend on nye this year and am in charge of beverages.
her and all of her friends are Miller Lite drinkers.....for shame...so I will end up grabbing a 1/4 or 1/2 keg of that pee pee for them...
Me and my friends lean towards heavier stuff like BD had mentioned.
My friend Ed and I will probably grab a couple mixed cases of some brewers we dig like Victory or see what the local guy we go to has on specials in his mix and matches.
lately I have been getting more singles instead of full cases.

sipping a Storm King at the moment.......damn I love this stuff
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 11:21 PM

you shoulda come out last weekend, juan!

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 11:43 PM

i know i know....
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 01:10 AM

GREAT LAKES

BELLS

YEUNGLING

STRAUB

Make it a Midwest selection.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
I'm throwing a surprise 30th party at a friend's place for my girlfriend on nye this year and am in charge of beverages.
her and all of her friends are Miller Lite drinkers.....for shame...so I will end up grabbing a 1/4 or 1/2 keg of that pee pee for them...
My friend Ed and I will probably grab a couple mixed cases of some brewers we dig like Victory or see what the local guy we go to has on specials in his mix and matches.

I'd pretend Lite was out everywhere in the area and get the ladies hooked on Victory Prima Pils instead. It's not too late to save them.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent
Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo

I'd pretend Lite was out everywhere in the area and get the ladies hooked on Victory Prima Pils instead. It's not too late to save them.

haha funny becasue back in August we awere at a place that only had high test belgian style saison stuff on tap and she was drinking up the stuff.
they all dig Hoegaarden, but that stuff went way too high in price for my blood. I like it a little but it is not a $46 case in my opinion.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 11:12 AM

My wife's not a big beer drinker...she really hardly ever drinks it, but when she does she likes the dark brews which is kind of odd. She always tastes my porters and stouts and LOVES Founders Breakfast Stout.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 12:29 PM

any of you "beer guys" watched that Brew masters show?
I had high hopes for it initially, having thought it would be something a little different.
But now, while some of it is interesting, I am just seeing it as a way for the Dogfish guy to showcase and advertise his products.
I didn't realize it was going to be exclusively his show for his place. i was thinking it would be , you know, looking into different places. I guess i should pay attention more.
it is what it is I suppose, and hopefully it doesn't turn into a gay show like American Chopper.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 12:52 PM

I watched the first few episodes. I was also under the impression that it was going to be more than just a DFH commercial.

But with as many weird styles as DFH comes up with, if that show ends up being a launching point for people to expand their palates from the boiled corn water BCM has been feeding the public for all these years, then it serves some purpose.

There has been a HUGE demand for Bitches Brew since that first show and it was already hard to get a hold of...so it may not be killing it in the ratings, but people are watching.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent

But with as many weird styles as DFH comes up with, if that show ends up being a launching point for people to expand their palates from the boiled corn water BCM has been feeding the public for all these years, then it serves some purpose.

I was also thinking the same. They have a lot of quality beer. I encounter a lot of people who are very close minded to ever expanding their palletes.

There has been a HUGE demand for Bitches Brew since that first show and it was already hard to get a hold of...so it may not be killing it in the ratings, but people are watching.

I meant to get over to my local place who announced having it in the emails I receive, but never got over. I doubt he has any left, but he is more of a case place so he may have some still.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 01:53 PM

If I saw some I'd probably grab it but it's not one I think I'd search for. It sounds good, but I'm flooded w/ so many good stouts right now that another one isn't top priority.

I have so much damn beer in my house right now that I cant even get through. I don't really drink a lot at home...maybe a beer every other night and a couple more on the weekends...I'll go out with buddies to have some beers...but no one ever really comes to my place to chill so it's hard going through it that fast. Then I'll tend to drink the IPA's and DIPA's first before the hops fade so the stouts pile up since they'll sit longer.

That's what they call a high class problem lol.
Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 02:38 PM

ha, a case of 4Loko. No, seriously, if you get anything from Ayinger brewery (from Germany) out there, try it. I really like the weizen bock, which is a wheat beer, which some people don't like. I just had the Pinkus breweries Organic Pilsner again the other night (16 oz single), & I recommend that as well. I used to drink a lot of stout & dark beers, but lately a well made pilsner or lager has been my preferred choice.

record collectors are pretentious assholes
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 04:15 PM

How close are you to Ska? I'd be living there and taking baths in Modus.
Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 04:36 PM

about 2 miles. I have friends who work there & occasionally fill my fridge with free beer, it's awesome

record collectors are pretentious assholes
wez138

Mood: TMMB's.

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 10:23 PM

I'd ask them to bring there own.

But I'd make Chilli and rice,chicken curry and rice and Veg curry for the salad eating homosexuals.

Living a life kept shut by a dream,
I'm reaching out to grasp my reality.
Hands of time wrap tight around my neck, and hit me so hard,
leaving me eyes black.
staring at a ceiling,
wondering why i never left,
penning words in a notebook,
wondering why haven't slept.
sanity is tapping in a cell
inside my fucking head.
begging for redemption
after hearing what was said.
the nights, they will not sleep
cause the days, have played for keeps.
rollinpinmim

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 11:54 PM

Since I like the dark ales my choices would be the following:

1) Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale
My favorite beer. I have consumed more pints of this beer than any normal person should have. Nice balance with the bitterness and a light syrupy flavor.

2) Fuller's London Porter
Nice dark beer with just the right amount of bitterness.

3) Youngs Double Chocolate Stout
For those who have a sweet tooth. I drink this occasionally, as I noticed this beer gives me the shits whenever I drink it.

Go To Top