Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Expensive White T’s: The Politics of Price Matching
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-4-2011 at 09:33 PM
Expensive White T’s: The Politics of Price Matching

good piece on alt press about one of the many challenges associated with some live shows:

http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/expensive_white_ts_th...

3OH!3 manager MIKE KAMINSKY describes price matching as “a request from the headlining band asking the support bands not to undercut them in merch. It looks bad—and could affect sales—if one band is selling their merch for considerably less than another [band]. It’s essentially forcing a monopoly in the market for that show."

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 1-4-2011 at 10:20 PM

I remember YEARS ago when the Bosstones opened for Aerosmith and the merch was all price matched. The same shirts the Bosstones usually sold for $12 were $45. Its really shitty for opening bands to have to deal with not enough headliners really help out the openers.

I talked to Dale from the Melvins once when they were on Oz Fest and he said that the only reason they got on the tour was becuase of TOOL. The Melvins were not getting paid enough to support themselves on the tour, but TOOL really wanted them to do it. So TOOL was paying the Melvins every day and letting them spend time on their bus etc. Thats cool!

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
spyderdog

Mood: my own dumb ass band....yeah im like that

[*] posted on 1-4-2011 at 10:34 PM

we undercut like maniacs, so were sooooooooooo guilty of this....haha

with that said my girl used to do merch for those clowns in 3oh3 and they never did shit for her, so fuck them

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 01:14 AM

MOTORHEAD was guilty of this a few years back at a place called the Agora. I went to get a HATEBREED and RINGWORM shirt and the cost was $40 each. I didn't get em until after the show and I hit em up. The HATEBREED dude said it was because of MOTORHEAD's rule that if you open for em, your shirts have to be the same price. RINGWORM was in on a seperate stage after MOTORHEADS set and they still had to abide by that rule, but they didn't.

First time I saw this was PANTERA, SEPULTRA and BIOHAZARD tour in I think 94. BIo has always been fair at shows before that for merch so when I noticed all shirts I think for 35, 40 and 45 I was floored. Fucking bullshit, but whatever.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
REV.PAULIE

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 06:53 AM

On the ill-fated Overkill/ST "tour",we were told by their management that we would have to do this.I don't remember the price difference,but our full-color "Lovesong's" shirts blew their black/white/green crap out of the water.Not that we sold many during the 2 dates out of 4 weeks that we lasted!!! We even put up a CLERKS type sign next to our merch..."WE ASSURE YOU THESE PRICES ARE NOT OUR IDEA". Like any hessian wanting an Overkill shirt is all of a sudden going to change his mind and buy a ST shirt,because of the price. Threatening their road crew & "manager/sound guy" at the Rat was worth getting thrown off that ridiculous idea of a "package tour".We were already blackballed from playing some of the shows to come,because I had said in a few interviews that the tour should be called "Our Fans Are Going To Beat Up Your Fans".

Will learn to Tap Dance,eventually...Will have you broads Hula,definitely...Trust me,you'll see.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 01:41 PM

HAHAHAHA

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
On the ill-fated Overkill/ST "tour",we were told by their management that we would have to do this.I don't remember the price difference,but our full-color "Lovesong's" shirts blew their black/white/green crap out of the water.Not that we sold many during the 2 dates out of 4 weeks that we lasted!!! We even put up a CLERKS type sign next to our merch..."WE ASSURE YOU THESE PRICES ARE NOT OUR IDEA". Like any hessian wanting an Overkill shirt is all of a sudden going to change his mind and buy a ST shirt,because of the price. Threatening their road crew & "manager/sound guy" at the Rat was worth getting thrown off that ridiculous idea of a "package tour".We were already blackballed from playing some of the shows to come,because I had said in a few interviews that the tour should be called "Our Fans Are Going To Beat Up Your Fans".

saw yous at the middle east in Philly with Napalm Death I guess months earlier and I remember the shirts being normal priced.
I remember seeing ST booked with Overkill after that, but don't remember if you played it at all.

I saw Motorhead a few years ago and the shirts all looked like the same design they have been using for 2 decades. I opted out even though my super nice girlfriend wanted to buy me one.
got stopped by a nazi on the way out about my drop dead ST shirt on the way out though....funny.
lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 03:16 PM

no comment

random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 07:03 PM

alright, i know i shouldn't do this, but...

aren't you the same guy who posted an over the top rant against outsourcing? do you not see the nearly identical parallels between outsourcing and what you're describing?

i'm honestly trying to keep this discussion friendly and hope it doesn't descend into some petty name-calling bullshit, though i realize there is a good chance that will happen. you really do seem like a nice guy, and i'm not trying to be a dick.

Quote:
Originally posted by spyderdog
we undercut like maniacs, so were sooooooooooo guilty of this....haha

with that said my girl used to do merch for those clowns in 3oh3 and they never did shit for her, so fuck them

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
spyderdog

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 11:46 PM

no

i dont

sorry

spyderdog

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 11:50 PM

let me also add that if were playing with say hoods for example.....

our shirts are 10, theres are 20 (again, just a random example)....

guess whos still selling all their merch?

its not us

also........

who makes 6 times as much as we do on the show to begin with?

XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 12:26 AM

I don't get the outsourcing parallel... explain please.

XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by XnMeX

I think he's just talking about one group (Asia/opening band) undercutting a price (US/headliner)

Quote:
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
Quote:

I think he's just talking about one group (Asia/opening band) undercutting a price (US/headliner)

There's that, and the headliner (US) having higher overhead costs than the openers (Asia) and not just labor (factory, materials, rent for the facility, taxes, and it goes on and on), and the price-matching as a sort of "import tariff," and people still buying name-brands even though Wal-mart sells it without a name for less because it's not just about price, and some other crap I would take the time to explain better if I wasn't working on a few beers.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
spyderdog

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 11:54 PM

AWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

no

XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-7-2011 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by random
Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
Quote:

There's that, and the headliner (US) having higher overhead costs than the openers (Asia) and not just labor (factory, materials, rent for the facility, taxes, and it goes on and on), and the price-matching as a sort of "import tariff," and people still buying name-brands even though Wal-mart sells it without a name for less because it's not just about price, and some other crap I would take the time to explain better if I wasn't working on a few beers.

The whole problem with that is Asia is not the "little man". They just pay their people slave wages.

Go To Top