Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: new dkm, "Going Out In Style" - 3/1/11
BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 06:26 PM

Here is some info about Bruce Springsteen joining them on a track off the new album.

http://www.actionrecon.com/2011/02/new-dropkick-murphys-song...

BKT.

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 07:13 PM

That's more like it.

Veritas odium parit
MattyA

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 10:46 PM

Definately alot better. Like Shawn said though the multiple vocals are kind of annoying. Wish Kenny would let Al sing by himself.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 11:24 PM

This one is more par for the course with these guys. It gives the people what they want. I liked the other song better.

bombidol
Posting Freak

Mood: Wisdom In Chains

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 04:09 PM

I like the Murphys and they are all nice fellas. The Irishness grates a little bit when you are actually Irish but its easily gotten over.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
panzerkreuzer
Posting Freak

Mood: gang green

[*] posted on 2-25-2011 at 03:00 PM

music approved by a banana is a blogspot dot com worth to check out and then grab some beer and have fun...

random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-25-2011 at 06:38 PM

album is very formulaic, though ken would say it's just them "finding their sound." think "sing loud, sing proud" but more poppy/traditional... at least, that's all it has me thinking. only song that sticks out to me is "deeds not words."

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 2-25-2011 at 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by random
album is very formulaic

A perfect way to describe the album. Only one or two tracks really caught me. It'll probably grow on in time.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 2-26-2011 at 05:32 PM

I just picked it up and on my second listen. ITS FUCKING AMAZING! It has a couple mello songs but they are really good and have the usual gang vocals that jam. The fast shit is great as expected.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
MattyA

[*] posted on 2-28-2011 at 09:45 PM

It's a lot better than I expected, song with Springstein is pretty good too.
morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 01:59 AM

Going to see if I can't find this tomorrow. Haven't heard any of it yet though. I've learned that even if I'm not really into a particular DKM album, it grows on me with time.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
Quote:
album is very formulaic

A perfect way to describe the album. Only one or two tracks really caught me. It'll probably grow on in time.

I haven't heard the record yet (it should arrive in the mail today) but a band like this is in a tough spot. If they up and offer something new then people don't like it. If they deliver the same thing again then people don't like that either. I can't really think of many bands that successfully pulled off a major sound overhaul that didn't alienate some people. Rancid's "Life Won't Wait" comes to mind as a successful venture.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 01:41 PM

BESTBUY will have it for $7.99

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
BESTBUY will have it for $7.99

Thank you!
their site is sold out, but my local store has them in stock.
$8 for a CD will actually get me to make the purchase.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
Quote:
Quote:
album is very formulaic

I haven't heard the record yet (it should arrive in the mail today) but a band like this is in a tough spot. If they up and offer something new then people don't like it. If they deliver the same thing again then people don't like that either. I can't really think of many bands that successfully pulled off a major sound overhaul that didn't alienate some people. Rancid's "Life Won't Wait" comes to mind as a successful venture.

I get what you're saying. I look at DKM as being two different bands. There was the (superior) McCoglan DKM, and the Barr DKM. I prefer the first incarnation based purely on the style they played. Since Al joined the band, the only record I disliked (or hated passionately) was Blackout. The Gang's All Here was good, but it seemed as they were trying to drift in a more aggressive style. Thankfully it worked. Sing Loud... was a bit too poppy at times, but still an amazing album. The Warrior's Code blew me away, I thought it was an amazing album, as did The Meanest of Times. Just trying to add perspective to why I judged the new album the way I did. To me it sounds like they phoned it in. It didn't grab me right from the start like most of the others did. It really sounded like some of the generic paddy-punk that seems to be coming out all the time from copycat bands.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 05:03 PM

As is to be expected I loved the album. My favorite album to date however is Gangs All Here.

Here is the review of the new record :

http://www.actionrecon.com/2011/03/dropkick-murphys-going-ou...

BKT.

Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
Quote:
Quote:
album is very formulaic

I get what you're saying. I look at DKM as being two different bands. There was the (superior) McCoglan DKM, and the Barr DKM. I prefer the first incarnation based purely on the style they played. Since Al joined the band, the only record I disliked (or hated passionately) was Blackout. The Gang's All Here was good, but it seemed as they were trying to drift in a more aggressive style. Thankfully it worked. Sing Loud... was a bit too poppy at times, but still an amazing album. The Warrior's Code blew me away, I thought it was an amazing album, as did The Meanest of Times. Just trying to add perspective to why I judged the new album the way I did. To me it sounds like they phoned it in. It didn't grab me right from the start like most of the others did. It really sounded like some of the generic paddy-punk that seems to be coming out all the time from copycat bands.

Ok. I'm 3 songs in. So far I wouldn't call it formulamatic because they're trying some new stuff within the songs but the overall outcome does just sound like more Dropkick Murphys to me. So in that regard it may be seen as following a formula. I'm seeing it more as like Mexican food.... it's all the same in the end but sometimes it's just prepared a little differently.

My understanding is that Rick Barton wrote Do or Die, The Gangs All Here and Sing Loud Sing Proud (even though he isn't credited on the album). I agree that Blackout is the worst and I credit that to being a new bunch of guys trying to write. Warrior's Code is my favorite and I think they found their stride again on that one and The Meanest of Times was just sort of a continuation of that. I have no opinion on the new one yet and I probably won't listen to it much. I continue to support them because they've done so much for me so I'll always buy their records but I can't relate to their words in the least bit. They sing all about these family values and traditions and stuff and that crap is just alien to me and my life experience. Knowing Ken his lyrics do plainly represent his background and his world view so I respect the fact that he is able to express himself in a way that connects with so many people but I'm just not one of those people anymore.

I gotta disagree with the old band vs the new band thing though. I used to think that if they kept Mike then they would have been bigger. I'm now convinced that they would have fizzled out quickly if they kept him. So he needed to go. The band since then has developed into something that is beyond me but they must be doing something right to keep getting bigger and bigger. I'd love to see them score the #1 record on the Billboard charts. That would really cap off this charmed life they've had as a band.

EDIT: I'm sure it's cool to do nothing and get a paycheck but Ken really needs to let Al try singing a song again once in a while.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 07:35 PM

I can't get into it.
I find Irish stuff annoying and I'm half Mick.
BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 07:43 PM

Funny. Blackout is one of my favorite DKM albums and Warriors Code is probably my least favorite.

BKT.

Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
I find Irish stuff annoying.

Same here.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 09:17 PM

Show respect to The Pogues and Stiff Little Fingers damn you!!!!!!!:smilegrin:

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 09:24 PM

not into them one bit either.
sorry
20 Bulls Each however am Irish but aren't killing me with flutes for 45 damn minutes.

I grew up with plenty of that goofy pretend culture around me from my dad's family and all the Irish immigrants I drank in bars with.
I had enough

to each his own.

I liked the early stuff 10 times better and I don't think I am copping the OG thing at this point in my life.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 09:24 PM

20 Bulls Each rule
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 09:37 PM

I like U2, Thin Lizzy and Stiff Little Fingers. Those bands are really Irish. It's the American ones that seem to go for the doodly-doos.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
20 Bulls Each rule

Most definitely. Now if Thorp would just get around to releasing their new album I'll be really happy.

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top