Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Phil Anselmo is a Sheer Terror fan
Spoiler
Posting Freak

Mood: All that scene philosophy never meant a goddamned thing to me

[*] posted on 1-27-2011 at 09:19 PM
Phil Anselmo is a Sheer Terror fan

ARSON ANTHEM's full-length debut, "Insecurity Notoriety", was released on October 12, 2010 via Anselmo's Housecore Records.
ARSON ANTHEM — the project featuring Philip Anselmo (DOWN, PANTERA, SUPERJOINT RITUAL) on guitar, Mike IX Williams (EYEHATEGOD) on vocals, Hank Williams III (SUPERJOINT RITUAL, ASSJACK) on drums and Collin Yeo (PONYKILLER) on bass.

"Insecurity Notoriety" track listing:

01. Naught
02. Foul Pride
03. Isolation Militia
04. More Than One War
05. Insecurity Notoriety
06. Pretty Like That
07. Initial Prick
08. Crippled Life
09. Polite Society Blacklist
10. If You Heard This You Would Hit Me
11. Hands Off Approach
12. Has Been/Has Been
13. Primate Envy
14. Death of An Idiot
15. Codependent and Busted
16. Kleptomania
17. Teach the Gun To Love the Bullet

ARSON ANTHEM was brought together in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, with Mike Williams moving into Anselmo's spare apartment after his home and possessions were destroyed. Through this connection, Williams and Anselmo spent time listening to Anselmo's irreplaceable hardcore music collection. The members relived the days of early '80s hardcore bands, such as DISCHARGE, NEGATIVE APPROACH, SHEER TERROR, and many others. It didn't take long for the music to squash their cabin fever, and inspire them to create a new venture that is now ARSON ANTHEM. Anselmo knew of the underrated-yet-unbridled percussion skills that his and Williams' mutual friend Hank Williams III possessed, causing the contact to be made and the band to come together. Finally, bassist Collin Yeo was recruited, and the sound was born.

lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-27-2011 at 10:28 PM

yeah they are playing tonight in NOLA
20.00 cover
tour buses everywhere

I have a problem with multimillionaires trying to sound like bands that are still playing small venues getting shit money and doing it in vans...

you wanna support the hardcore scene Phil, open a real club here, get a booking agent in this town to bring some bands here, sign better bands to your shitty label, and stop being a douche bag.

kids do this daily with none of that huge money he has and have more heat and sincerity than he ever will...

could be why he got kicked out of the scene here in the first place and moved to Dallas.

CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 1-27-2011 at 11:02 PM

Never dug Anselmo. Seems like he's full of shit
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 1-27-2011 at 11:06 PM

Isn't there a Pantera video where he's in a Cro-Mags shirt?

There's a lot of hardcore breakdowns in Pantera tracks.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
REV.PAULIE

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 05:47 AM

Oh.joy of joys...

Will learn to Tap Dance,eventually...Will have you broads Hula,definitely...Trust me,you'll see.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 07:13 AM

I always found Pantera nuts to be the biggest of boneheads......just my findings
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 07:31 AM

Now playing lots of Pantera :D

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
Johnny_Whistle

Mood: the voices

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
I always found Pantera nuts to be the biggest of boneheads......just my findings

Oh, I think they've got some stiff competition from these guys...

http://www.facebook.com/johncurtinmusic

"Making people laugh is the lowest form of comedy"
-Michael O'Donnohue
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 09:28 AM

I'm a fan of a lot of the Pantera stuff and I like Arson Anthem & liked Superjoint Ritual a lot too. I know that Steve knows a lot more about Phil than I do, but just based on what I've read he doesnt seem like a bad guy. The last artical I read he admitted that he was a junkie and that looking back on old videos he looks and sounds like an asshole, but that hes clean now and trying to be back on track.

As for a millionaire trying to sound like hes in a small band, thats tough. I agree that Phil could do more for the NOLA scene if he really cared and that opening a club and getting real bands in there would be cool because based on what Steve has said it sounds like it sucks there.

The thing is, it seems like he really does (and always has) liked punk & hardcore and lots of underground stuff so if thats what he likes and Pantera is done but he wants to play then its hard not to play what he is into now. He cant just give away the money and struggle in a van for 'art', but he wants to play punk/hardcore. Its a rough spot.

With Slapshot in Europe we were in a big ass bus a few times and thats total punk/hardcore. And if it wasnt for the bus a lot of the band that go to Europe wouldnt tour because they are older guys and dont want to deal with being in a van for hours and hours, all though I went on a few van trips with Slapshot as well (but they sucked in comparison).

Not sure what I just said really, so I'll shut up now.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 09:31 AM

Oh and ICP fans are way bigger shitheads than Pantera fans in my opinion. The average Pantera fan is just a big dumb hesher dude smoking weed, drinking budweiser, driving a camaro and smoking marlboros. The ICP fans LIVE ICP. They are kinda like bikers in a way because it infiltrates every aspect of their life and 24-7 they are juggalos. Like some people ride motorcycles, but there are a lot of people that are 24-7 bikers and theres a difference.

I do give respect to the guys in ICP for making all the money they have on a mostly DIY basis. They sell so much merch its insane but for years they seemed to do it all themselves (with their own lable and people working for them etc).

Quote:
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

REV.PAULIE

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 10:10 AM

When I first went out to KC,MO in '93 ( I think),after the ST/Biohazard/SOIA tour,to get away for whatever dumb reason's were in my head - Pantera were just getting their name known.They were on tour,opening,for White Zombie & Megadeth...We got some free passes at the tattoo shop that my bro's ran,so we went.I had heard that Phil had cited me as an influence in some interview,so I sent one of the broad's that we knew with the VIP pass to let him know I was there.Granted,I was not a fan of their music,but I figured it would be nice to meet the guy that mentioned me.

Nothing.He looked at her like she was a martian (she said).

Whatever.It didn't really bother me because,like I said,I wasn't a fan.

Shelton,I would love to see again...That's Hank III...Without getting to involved,because it's worthy of a book - The bar that my buddy,Ken,owned on the corner of 9th St &Ave.C was the EAST COAST DEBUT of Hank3...The old drummer knew my brother,Roger,who bartended/managed the place...There's another book about Roger,and how he helped keep REAL country music alive in NYC during the '90's....Long story,longer - The drummer guy said he was playing with Hank William' grandson...We'd heard about him,but idiodically dismissed him before we knew anything...Then,he walked in the door to the bar (Monday night,maybe 25 people there)...Motherfucker was the spitting image of his grandfather,and we shit ourselves...They were in town to have their TV debut on Conan O'Brien's show the next night...Besides talking and looking like his grandad,he was the sweetest guy you'd ever meet.He went up with his band and played for at least a half-hour.We were FLOORED.

I was DJ'ing,that night...Aside from my country records,I had a small stash of punk records (45's) left over from the weekend at the bar.Shelton & I got to talking,and I told him that he should DJ...He's flipping through my 45's,FREAKING..."Wow!!! DAMN!!! YOU GOT SKREWDRIVER?!?!?!".
Long story even LONGER...A phone call was made,and we all sniffed our way into the morning.We called them a car service to take them to their hotel,and promised to watch them later that night on Conan.They said they'd do one just for us.

They debuted on American TV,wearing THE SAME DAMN CLOTHES FROM THE NIGHT,BEFORE.....The song they played?

"COCAINE BLUES".

I rule.

Paulie

Will learn to Tap Dance,eventually...Will have you broads Hula,definitely...Trust me,you'll see.
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 10:19 AM

Quote:

I rule.

Paulie

truer words were never spoken!
Thats a great story Paulie, and I hope you do write a book!

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 12:17 PM

Paulie you need to write a book for real...
your stories are way better than Rollins and look at the cheddar that fool makes...

Since I was chillin with my son I did not attend the big punk rawk show

my employee and the only other person I know in this town who listens to hardcore and punk went
said it was the worst pile of fake crap ever...

metal guys going hey hey were punk rock and mocking it rather than embracing it.

not a single hardcore or punk kid to be seen except for the smelly kids there to see haarp, and a large gathering of drunk meat head marine looking guys push moshing...

but I guess that's what is being called punk these days

Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 01:44 PM

never been into Pantera....didn't really give two shits about that band until I started listening to Superjoint & Arson Anthem after getting into Hank III....decided to watch a bunch of Anselmo interviews a few years back, some OK, some he is burnt out as fuck....read that III was into Sheer Terror in an interview, & then was pleased to see ST listed as an influence in the liner notes that came with the 1st Arson Anthem release when I was radio DJing last year.
& Rev. Paulie, that was a great story

record collectors are pretentious assholes
MattyA

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
When I first went out to KC,MO in '93 ( I think),after the ST/Biohazard/SOIA tour,to get away for whatever dumb reason's were in my head - Pantera were just getting their name known.They were on tour,opening,for White Zombie & Megadeth...We got some free passes at the tattoo shop that my bro's ran,so we went.I had heard that Phil had cited me as an influence in some interview,so I sent one of the broad's that we knew with the VIP pass to let him know I was there.Granted,I was not a fan of their music,but I figured it would be nice to meet the guy that mentioned me.

Shelton,I would love to see again...That's Hank III...Without getting to involved,because it's worthy of a book - The bar that my buddy,Ken,owned on the corner of 9th St &Ave.C was the EAST COAST DEBUT of Hank3...The old drummer knew my brother,Roger,who bartended/managed the place...There's another book about Roger,and how he helped keep REAL country music alive in NYC during the '90's....Long story,longer - The drummer guy said he was playing with Hank William' grandson...We'd heard about him,but idiodically dismissed him before we knew anything...Then,he walked in the door to the bar (Monday night,maybe 25 people there)...Motherfucker was the spitting image of his grandfather,and we shit ourselves...They were in town to have their TV debut on Conan O'Brien's show the next night...Besides talking and looking like his grandad,he was the sweetest guy you'd ever meet.He went up with his band and played for at least a half-hour.We were FLOORED.

I was DJ'ing,that night...Aside from my country records,I had a small stash of punk records (45's) left over from the weekend at the bar.Shelton & I got to talking,and I told him that he should DJ...He's flipping through my 45's,FREAKING..."Wow!!! DAMN!!! YOU GOT SKREWDRIVER?!?!?!".
Long story even LONGER...A phone call was made,and we all sniffed our way into the morning.We called them a car service to take them to their hotel,and promised to watch them later that night on Conan.They said they'd do one just for us.

They debuted on American TV,wearing THE SAME DAMN CLOTHES FROM THE NIGHT,BEFORE.....The song they played?

"COCAINE BLUES".

I rule.

Paulie

Definately have to write a book, this is pure gold.
BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 02:26 PM

Quote:

"COCAINE BLUES".

I rule.

Paulie

haha. Fucking fantastic.

BKT.

gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 02:48 PM

kinda sounds to me like he is dropping names of bands that make him "cool"
to seem more legit
kinda like metallica used to do with the misfits and whatnot
metal guys are funny
they all wanna be as cool as the punk rock people but never have the guts to go for it

you come at the king....you best not miss
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gavin

Yeah I can see that, but Pantera covered Poison Idea.

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
Quote:

Yeah I can see that, but Pantera covered Poison Idea.

josh, there is NO WAY i believe that some glam metal dudes from bumfuck texas, who changed their deal to a thrash metal band because it was the "cooler" thing to do has any idea about that song.
someone, somewhere hipped them to it and again they thought it would add to their cool and legit factor

it didnt work on me
maybe to some of their knucklehead fratboy metal fans it did
i am having not one second of it

bottom line, be what ya are
if they are the lame metal knobs that i know them to be, then be that
stop trying to steal cool from our side
cuz you know damn well they were the type of metal douchebags back in the day that would have called all of us feaks and faggots until one of our big guys beat the shit outta all of em or 20 of us jumped them
bet

lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 03:20 PM

my punk friends always made fun of me liking metal
my metal friends still don't understand punk or why I love it

the 2 should not mix that often

I am starting a band here
I am done with this bullshit

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 03:30 PM

Quote:

that should be the new Thorp Warrior motto

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lifeisabitch
my punk friends always made fun of me liking metal
my metal friends still don't understand punk or why I love it

the 2 should not mix that often

I am starting a band here
I am done with this bullshit

DO IT!!!!!!
the reason i ever started a band was cuz i was at some show and all the bands fucking sucked and i said "enough of this...im starting a band that i would like to see"

do it brother
sounds like that city needs you to

gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
Quote:

that should be the new Thorp Warrior motto

sayin
we all earned this "cool"
some metal pussy cant come in and just reap all our rewards
fuck that
fuckin cowboy from hell
pah leeeeeez with that

Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 05:10 PM

I was fairly disappointed when a chick I used to see proudy showed me her new CFH tattoo....I told her to look up this

record collectors are pretentious assholes
gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 05:41 PM

see???
yeah, they LOOOOVED negative approach
fuck outta here

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top