Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Balt/DC FREE Punk Podcast, take a listen!
3rdDistrict

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 07:24 AM
Balt/DC FREE Punk Podcast, take a listen!

from my man mikey stilts;
Get it either directly from the blog http://www.unmutualradio.libsyn.com or do the right thing and subscribe via iTunes. This week we introduce new co-host Dave Worthless and we discuss tapping the Natty Boh keg and the looming Baltimore Alcohol Tax.

Playlist:

1. "State of Affairs" - The Reticents
2. "Rock Bottom" - Betty Sue Aside
3. "Wasted Time" - Nervous Impulse
4. "Jersey" - The Screws
5. "Big Takeover" - The Bad Brains
6. "Spiralling Down" - Supreme Commander
7. "Butt Drugs" - Copstabber
8. ".22/.45/.38" - Angry & Broke
9. "Bad Timing" - Big Daddy Chrome
10. "Atlas" - Singleton
11. "German Girl" - 88mph
12. "Next Victim" - Stillborn
13. "Death Set" - the Matrimonials
14. "Never Go Home Again" - Charm City Saints

you might find something you like!

ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 10:20 AM

can you play some RR before Feb 23?

I will send you MP3s.

Good punk/HC/oi shows coming up. Check out http://myspace.com/refuseresistband
ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 10:21 AM

hahah, read the "we" as you were part of it. I-ll send them an e-mail

Good punk/HC/oi shows coming up. Check out http://myspace.com/refuseresistband
3rdDistrict

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 12:01 PM

yeah, haha

this is also friday if anyone is in town;

(there will be more people at this then any hardcore show. duane knows what i'm talking about)

moe

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 12:55 PM

Love The Reticents. Imploded in spectacular fashion.

Nervous Impulse is good stuff too.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 01:47 PM

totally.

i'm looking at the flyer thinking, "how is that possible? when i lived in bmore, natty boh was absolutely available on tap." of course, i left in '96, and it's been basically since then that it's been gone.

any idea why they discontinued it?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
3rdDistrict

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 10:32 AM

pabst bought boh 15 years ago and stopped immediately
some 90% of boh is sold in the baltimore region, and it sells so fast (i know of 4 bars where it's a dollar)
i guess they realized by making kegs, they'd bank
and they did, all 800 kegs made sold out in perorders

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 09:02 PM

hopefully they keep it up. i don't find it to be a particularly tasty beverage, but it's a hometown hero, and should be celebrated.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
3rdDistrict

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 08:19 AM

February 3, 2011
Nacho Mama's taps one of the first kegs of Natty Boh in 15 years
On Thursday afternoon the cramped Canton bar Nacho Mama’s was log-jammed.
Inside the bar, which is decorated like a shrine to National Bohemian, there were more people than Mr. Boh logos on the walls. The waitresses had a hard time delivering their regular orders.

It wasn’t a flash-mob. The crowd, evenly split between young and rickety old-timers, was there to toast the tapping of one the first keg of Natty Boh in 15 years.

Last week, Boh owner Pabst Brewing Company announced it would start selling the beer on draft, which since 1996 had only been available in in bottles or in its iconic gold-on-white cans.

To mark the return, it organized eight official keg tapping events throughout the region, starting Thursday here in Fells Point and ending in Columbia on February 16.

Judie Mitchell, a 54-year-old nurse who grew up in Highlandtown when a six-pack of Boh would set her parents back a little over two bucks, said she came to celebrate the beer as much as her childhood.

“Every time I see Mr. Boh it reminds of the times that were. It’s comforting to see this coming back,” she said.

Boh, Baltimore’s beer of choice for centuries, had been locally owned until 1979, when it was sold off to the G. Heileman Brewing Company. In 1996, it even stopped being brewed locally. But throughout all that, it’s remained popular, and in the last five years, it’s enjoyed a revival, especially among young drinkers.

Pabst, under new management since last year, brought the beer back on draft to capitalize on that nostalgia and to expand its footprint in the region.

Initially, it had modest expectations for the product on draft. In October, it set an initial run of 300 kegs and pre-sold it to 80 locations in Maryland, said Rachel Warren, a Baltimore sales representative for Pabst.

But since then, the demand has overwhelmed them, Warren said. The company had to approve an shipment of 600 extra kegs this week just to satisfy the 80 locations it had pre-sold beer to.

(Mount Royal Tavern, which got three kegs Tuesday, was already down to one and a half by Thursday evening, said manager John Corun.)

“We never thought we’d need to do almost 1,000 kegs,” Warren said. “Hopefully 600 will be enough, but we have to play it by ear.”

Warren acknowledged it’s hard to tell if they’ll keep selling 900 kegs a month. “There’s always enthusiasm at first so we have to see how it shakes out,” she said.

Along with Mount Royal Tavern and Della Rose’s, Nacho Mama’s has long been a Boh stronghold in the city. Owner Patrick McCusker has decorated his bar with all the Boh memorabilia he’s been collecting for years.

The ceremonial tapping of the keg, which was actually hooked up to a kegerator, happened at 6 p.m. on the dot; the bells from a nearby church could almost be overheard over the crowd.

McCusker entered the bar, to the tune of “Ride of the Valkyries” and the cheers of the crowded bar, wearing a bulbous Mr. Boh head. One of his bartenders pulled the kegerator's lever, and the official first glass disappeared to the crowd.

Rusty Walters, a 25-year-old native who works in marketing, couldn’t even step inside the bar when he got there. The crowd was starting to spill out into the street. He said he didn’t start drinking the beer for the irony, or because it was because it was passed down through his family.

“I don’t know if it was my grandfather’s first beer,” he said. “I started drinking in college because it was cheap.”

But then it became a reminder of Baltimore. When he lived in Los Angeles, he and his friends used to have it shipped. “It’s not even about the taste,” he said. “It’s about drinking Natty Boh. It’s just Baltimore.”

Ron Hartman, 64, on the other hand, said he’d been drinking it since he was 21, when it was the beer of working-class families.

“Back then this was a very poor neighborhood,” he said. Now, he drinks it out of loyalty.

“At one point, we had a lot of beer in this town; there was Gunther, Hamms,” he said. “Ths is the only that survived.”

Even though it’s not brewed here anymore, it’s not owned by a local brewery, and this might have been described as a big, frothy promotional event for a beer magnate, Hartman doesn’t care. Boh is part of the city’s heritage.

“It’s us,” he said.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 09:56 AM

“It’s about drinking Natty Boh. It’s just Baltimore.”
there ya have it.

like my step dad, a pittsburgh native, and his Iron City.

Go To Top