Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: bands charging other bands to play
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 11:49 AM
bands charging other bands to play

I just found out that a band that my old band used to play with is selling slots to open for them for their big 'come back' show.

They are a local RI band that acomplished a little. They were on a comp that Psychopathic Records put out, they toured opening for that band Rehab and a few other things. I know thats stuff that everyone here things sucks, but it is some what of an acomplishment in that style of music.

Anway, they always drew WAY more people to shows than my band did because they were the 'cool kids' and when they played it was a big party. They stopped playing clubs and started booking shows at halls because they could make more money that way.

Well the band had revolving members over the last year or so and now the 'original line up' is back and the singer is saying its 'all business' and they are charing $200 to open for them. He says that people are begging to pay and that 3 out of 4 slots are sold.

I know this goes on in BIG money for things like the Warped Tour and OzFest, but I find it apalling that its going on with a local unsigned band. I just got in an argument with the kid through email about it and my point was missed. He just said "thats why your band failed" and it pissed me off.

I know no one here cares, I just had to vent....

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 11:54 AM

This is standard. It's called a "Buy On". Usually it's reserved for big tours like the Warped Tour or Ozzfest but I know of a few bands that have paid to get on good tours. In theory they use the money to buy better advertising so it is a promotional expense for the record label.

Nevermind. All I did was echo what you already said. haha

gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 12:10 PM

Never...ever..ever....ever...ever would do this

you come at the king....you best not miss
Johnny_Whistle

Mood: the voices

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 12:15 PM

They do stuff like that a lot in standup comedy too, but they're a little sneakier about it. If you want a spot on certain shows, you have to bring a certain number of paying guests. They're called "bringer shows," and they suck too. It's basically a way for the promoter to not have to do any work to get people into the room.

http://www.facebook.com/johncurtinmusic

"Making people laugh is the lowest form of comedy"
-Michael O'Donnohue
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gavin
Never...ever..ever....ever...ever would do this

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 12:56 PM

I was clueless to this kind of thing. Can't say I agree with it much, but it does make sense from a business standpoint. That said, a local band doing a reunion show who never amounted to shit to begin with does not warrant this kind of demand in my opinion. Oh, and because he said that to you Josh, fuck him in his eyes.
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 01:48 PM

well this isnt their 'reunion' its actually their big 'come back' or its supposed to be. They have all kinds of plans for tours etc and if they can get 5 jackass bands to pay to open in each city they will make a killing I guess.

I just cant even comprehend this on this level of music. I know about the stuff like Mark said for tours, but not a local band like this.

I know about the comedy thing too because I have a friend that does some comedy, but even that for what he did is usually like bring 5 people which isnt that bad. I dont fault a bar/club whatever for wanting the act to bring some people in... ehh... I dont know I just dont agree with it on the level that this bullshit band is at.

Quote:
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 02:18 PM

tell me it's a certain band that I printed for, but they said my prices were too high... too f'n fruits too big for their own britches

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lifeisabitch
tell me it's a certain band that I printed for, but they said my prices were too high... too f'n fruits too big for their own britches

hahah you did print for them awhile back, but I dont know if they said anything about pricing. Its not Wolfpac, I dont know if thats who you're thinking of. This band had the a Heiniken rip off logo and one that was a circle with MMZ in it.

They are supposed to get ahold of New Republic for printing some new stuff, but who knows if they actually will or not.

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 03:01 PM

tell em to suck it.
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 03:25 PM

That's pathetic, whether it's "the way things are done" or not. I'd have zero interest in being on either side of that coin.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
Quote:
Originally posted by lifeisabitch

hahah you did print for them awhile back, but I dont know if they said anything about pricing. Its not Wolfpac, I dont know if thats who you're thinking of. This band had the a Heiniken rip off logo and one that was a circle with MMZ in it.

They are supposed to get ahold of New Republic for printing some new stuff, but who knows if they actually will or not.

no I still print for wolfpac when they have money...
no I knew from the jump off that it was mmz
fuck them rock star wannabes

and I hate it when clubs make smaller bands sell tickets for bigger headliners... I have heard of clubs charging the bands for the unsold tickets...
lazy fucking promoting
if you can't fill the hall don't make your openers pay for it.

Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 04:28 PM

The only band from Providence that I know of that matters is The Amazing Royal Crowns. Then there was Shed.......

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 04:43 PM

As far as I'm concerned, charging bands to open for you is the exact opposite of what I believe this music is supposed to be about. Maybe they're rap-metal or whatever, but it's still complete bullshit in my opinion. If some local band who never did anything tried to charge me to open for them I'm kick the shit out of them based solely on the fact that they're fucking retards.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
The only band from Providence that I know of that matters is The Amazing Royal Crowns. Then there was Shed.......

awwww ouch! theres a lot of bands that matter to me from Providence. For the broken up bands I liked Shed, State of Corruption, Times Expired, Courage to Be, Are We Dead Yet?!?!, Skinned Alive, Wrapcoil, Severance and some others.

There are a lot of great current bands in Providence too though... Dropdead, The White Mice, Lolita Black, White Load and my current favorite... Neon Bitches!

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

rollinpinmim

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind

Mark i couldn't agree more with you on this!

By the way what is going with selling those records? I haven't heard back from you.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 11:56 PM

Reminds me of shit like Supernova and other showcases where the bands have to sell a ton of tickets or they can't play, and have to pay to be on the showcase.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM

Go To Top