Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Non Danzig era Misfits
Vanilla Gorilla
Posting Freak

Mood: Yellow Stitches

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 07:14 PM
Non Danzig era Misfits

Ok people, so I am no misfits expert hell i don't even know why i am starting this thread. Boredom i guess. For some reason i have been getting a lot of Graves era Misfits on slacker this week and i didn't even know it was misfits until i looked at it. I am actually digging some of it. Is liking non-Danzig like sacrilegious to hardcore misfits fan. I know some of you guys know a lot about misfits and the like. thoughts? opinions?

Well I've got a feeling I'm gonna get mine in. Retribution let the games begin.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 07:57 PM

after 1983 it's not the Misfits....PERIOD
it's a gay cover band
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 08:34 PM

I like the American Psycho record a lot. The Famous Monsters record has a great name and great cover art, but the music isn't that great nthe Evil Live II kinda sucks but when I saw them live with Grave singing it was really good.

I saw them again with Jerry, Dez & Marky Ramone and it was awful and sad!!
How big of a douche must Jerry be if Doyle, his own brother, won't play with him?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
SS76
Posting Freak

Mood: RAMALLAH

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MQ74
Misfits....gay band

sorry....had to subtract a few words

Silence is golden but violence is platinum.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 09:33 PM

The Misfits was the band fronted Danzig, and they fucking ruled. The stuff with Graves grew on me over time, and I actually really like American Psycho and Famous Monsters these days. That being said, they weren't the Misfits. They should have changed the name, or at least changed it a bit, like Misfits 2000, or Misfits 2 or something like that. After Graves and Chud left they turned into the worst cover band in history. They actually turned into the THREE worst cover bands of all time, seeing as they were doing a blend of Misfits, Ramones, and Black Flag songs last time I heard about them.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 10:23 PM

The first time I ever heard the Miscits was with Graves singing so I have some bias towards that.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 12:32 AM

I think I still have the "Dig Up Her Bones" 7" I got in 8th grade...other than that, I haven't heard any of the non-Danzig Misfits. It's like the Doors without Morrison....change the name & people won't give you shit.

record collectors are pretentious assholes
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 06:09 AM

I hate to admit it but my hearing of the Misfits is from buying Metallica's Garage Days Re-Revisited when I was 12 and hearing Last Caress / Green Hell.
That and the T shirts in the Balcony ( a shop near me in the day)
My friend Tom had a bunch on vinyl in high school and after that there was no turning back.
At 37 I still haven't out grown those old records.
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
I hate to admit it but my hearing of the Misfits is from buying Metallica's Garage Days Re-Revisited when I was 12 and hearing Last Caress / Green Hell.

thats nothing to be ashamed of! thats where I first heard a lot of punk. I was a metal head and then heard the Metallica cover the Misfits and saw Cliff with the Crimson Ghost tattoo. Then Megadeth & Anthrax covering the Sex Pistols. Back in then it took me forever to track down those records (cassettes), but it was all worth it!!

Quote:
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

MikeResist

Mood: Everything

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 10:36 AM

What Jerry Only does on stage nowadays is literally vomiting sounds out of his wordhole and "playing" his bass far too loud, just to drown out the terrible voice so no one can really hear how bad they butcher "Misfits" songs. It's like paying to go see someone basically force their fecal matter down your throat.

SS76
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeResist
wordhole

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SS76
Quote:
wordhole
Vanilla Gorilla
Posting Freak

Mood: Yellow Stitches

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 12:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
wordhole

Well I've got a feeling I'm gonna get mine in. Retribution let the games begin.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla Gorilla
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
wordhole

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by morgan
The first time I ever heard the Miscits was with Graves singing so I have some bias towards that.

Reminds me of my high school days...

"Hey guys, I know you guys are Misfits fans and I saw their new album was on sale (American Psycho) so I picked it up and am loving it!"

"Yeah, that is NOT the Misfits..."

"Oh... *walks away*"

*picks up "Walk Among Us" a week later and loved that too*

Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
Quote:

thats nothing to be ashamed of! thats where I first heard a lot of punk. I was a metal head and then heard the Metallica cover the Misfits and saw Cliff with the Crimson Ghost tattoo. Then Megadeth & Anthrax covering the Sex Pistols. Back in then it took me forever to track down those records (cassettes), but it was all worth it!!
I got into a lot of old bands especially oi stuff & stuff like GBH from seeing every patch the guys from Rancid wore & calling up the local punk rock radio show & requesting those bands, most of which they had. Then I got an Angry Young & Poor catalogue & just started requesting every band I saw in there. College radio stations are the best....I got turned on to a lot of classics at a real young age, & in a shithole town with a super small scene as well

Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 03:39 PM

American Psycho isn't bad. It's got some decent pop punk songs on it. Their first tour back was pretty awesome when they were only playing the old songs. But it really isn't the Misfits. The Misfits were Glenn Danzig's creation from start to finish. Those guys just basically co-opted his name so they could make a career mooching off the name his talents built. That line-up of Jerry with Marky Ramone and the other old timer was a musical abortion.

Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 04:59 PM

they recorded their last album with Dez Cadena in a cowpoke town called Bayfield, CO, about 20 minutes from where I live last summer & once before that....some friends of mine met them. I thought that was odd. Apparently the dude that records them has done a number of stuff including a Ramones album

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 11:22 PM

I saw that first tour they did after they finally got the rights to use the name and had Graves singing for 'em doing all old songs. I was happy to pay what was a ridiculous amount to me at the time to see 'em since I had loved 'em from the first time I heard a song of theirs when I was in Junior High or something, but had missed the boat on seeing the real band. The show was decent, they played pretty well and it was cool to see those songs live finally, but I thought Graves was a fucking awful choice as soon as I heard him. I can't stand his vocal style and he looked like an idiot with his top hat and skull make up. I left after the show feeling glad that I had gone, but positive I would never see them again. When the album came out I checked it out for curiousity's sake, but I felt like they definitely should NOT have been given access to the name as it was clear that ALL of the essence of what was good about the real Misfits had left with Glenn.

Veritas odium parit
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 11:27 PM

Oh, and I wanted to mention something in response to Colin's comment comparing them to The Doors without Jim Morrison: The difference there would be that The Doors minus Morrison would be a fucking HUGE improvement. The Doors' music was mostly pretty great stuff, it was just ruined by putting Jimbo's moronic, adolescent "poetry" on top of it and then throwing in his bloated ego driven posturing on top.

Veritas odium parit
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
I saw that first tour they did after they finally got the rights to use the name and had Graves singing for 'em doing all old songs. I was happy to pay what was a ridiculous amount to me at the time to see 'em since I had loved 'em from the first time I heard a song of theirs when I was in Junior High or something, but had missed the boat on seeing the real band. The show was decent, they played pretty well and it was cool to see those songs live finally, but I thought Graves was a fucking awful choice as soon as I heard him. I can't stand his vocal style and he looked like an idiot with his top hat and skull make up. I left after the show feeling glad that I had gone, but positive I would never see them again. When the album came out I checked it out for curiousity's sake, but I felt like they definitely should NOT have been given access to the name as it was clear that ALL of the essence of what was good about the real Misfits had left with Glenn.

^^ This.

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 4-15-2011 at 08:31 AM

did anyone ever see them with Myke Hideous singing?

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 4-15-2011 at 08:39 AM

I saw them with Zoli from Ignite singing once. It was when Graves and Chud quit mid-tour back in 2000.

Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-15-2011 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
Oh, and I wanted to mention something in response to Colin's comment comparing them to The Doors without Jim Morrison: The difference there would be that The Doors minus Morrison would be a fucking HUGE improvement. The Doors' music was mostly pretty great stuff, it was just ruined by putting Jimbo's moronic, adolescent "poetry" on top of it and then throwing in his bloated ego driven posturing on top.
oh damn....Johnny's a Morrison hater....fair enough. I dig it myself

SS76
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-15-2011 at 01:08 PM

Go To Top