Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: new BFB interview with Ian & Rob
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 09:19 AM
new BFB interview with Ian & Rob

Sounds like Rob is playing the shows, anyone know for sure?

http://www.hailsandhorns.com/interview/new-england-metal-and...

BLOOD FOR BLOOD

Interview with Ian McFarland (bass) and Rob Lind(guitar/vox)
Photo by Jason Zucco

Has Boston’s own hardcore “Bad Boys” risen again for a so called “Family” reunion tour?

Ian McFarland: We are all extremely excited to play the festival. It’s been almost seven years since we played Massachusetts last and we are all looking forward to seeing a lot of old friends and faces. Massachusetts is a totally different audience than anywhere else in the country as far as crowd participation goes. Any show that we have ever played here in Mass has never let us down… so we’ll see.

What made this the right time to start a US tour? Did Europe stir up the old juices?

Rob Lind: For me personally, it was HIGH time to check in with BFB again. For better or for worse, mostly worse, (laughs) my life has largely existed outside of what I perceive to be the common narrative or at least any easily labeled niche or template. The result of this is that music has always been at best a casual part of my total experience. I don’t say that to diminish or trivialize music’s importance to me. Music and personal expression are the most meaningful areas of my life. But even since BLOOD FOR BLOOD’s inception other areas of my life have from the beginning intruded and often interfered with music as a linear career. On the flip side, all of that chaos and discord is part of what informs and defines the music itself.

BLOOD FOR BLOOD was never a youth-oriented phenomenon, it’s about life- beginning to end. There is nothing that I hope to recapture and there is no time that I wish to return to, that is for sure. BFB is and has always been the forum where I can rage against all of the darkness and confusion and pain of my human experience. It is simply time to write another chapter. I have certainly lived enough in the interim, that’s for DAMN sure! (Laughs) The only difference this time around is that I believe that I have enough understanding of myself and my strengths and weaknesses so that we can keep this going much more consistently. And that goes for the whole band. We’ve all come a long way.

Why the New England Metal and Hardcore Festival for your anticipated return to a touring presence in the states?

Ian McFarland: To be honest we wanted to play Boston first but no one there would have us… (Laughs) Even after six years I guess there is still some anxiety surrounding a BLOOD FOR BLOOD show in Boston. So when our old friend Scott Lee (Metal Fest promoter) called and asked if we would be interested it just felt like the right fit. We knew that we could trust him, he would do the show right and it would be a great time for all.

They say that to be a true artist you must suffer to create true masterpieces. Do you feel that this is the case now after all the band and personal struggles that B4B has had over the years?

Rob Lind: A “masterpiece!” Wouldn’t that be nice, to someday create something that folks consider a “masterpiece?” (Laughs) I think the best I can lay claim to so far is a few “fabulous disasters!” But I understand the concept: the idea that genuine art is produced by suffering and the sensitivity of the sufferer. I don’t know if anything I’ve done even qualifies as “art” but I do know that everything I’ve done musically and creatively has been an attempt to express genuine feelings and an attempt to understand those feelings. And those feelings in question have largely been intolerable to me and have defined my life.

Has this reinvigoration (rebirth) helped in a creation of new music by the band?

Rob Lind: Only time will tell. I definitely have more material right now than at any other point in my life and that material is in part the product of the darkest experiences of my life, which is sayin’ something! (Laughs) Certainly there is an exhilaration and optimism amongst the guys in the band right now and that is a great feeling.

You say that you are playing on your “own terms” now. Does these terms bring back the excitement that started with a couple of friends playing cover songs and trying to get out that overwhelming angst?

Rob Lind: For me personally “our own terms” means doing shit only because WE want to be doing it and because it is good for US. I never compromised musically or lyrically nor was I ever asked to, but the rest of the music business involves a lot politics and bullshit that I won’t get into here. We were always just a bunch of urban hicks making the music we wanted to make, but none of us were ever businessmen so we were taken for more than one ride in our time. Well, that shit is over, baby. And creatively we NEVER got away from our original intentions. But as far as returning to a previous time or mindset, I’ve always felt that the instant you start looking to the past, you have stopped looking to the future. BFB is about life and life goes on until it ends. We’re moving on…

What do you feel about the New England Hardcore scene, good, bad or indifferent? Has the change in Lansdowne Street and venues nationwide changed the scene forever?

Rob Lind: I am completely ignorant as to the state of the NE hardcore, but that is absolutely nothing new. I’ve always only cared about what I was doing and the only time I commented on what was going on around me was if it disgusted me. And right now, nothing stands out that disgusts me. So that’s something, right? (Laughter)

What is next after the New England Metal and Hardcore Festival?

Ian McFarland: Right after we play Metal Fest we head to over to Europe for a few shows and a big festival. In June we are playing some more Northeast US dates then headed to Europe again to do some festivals and a couple more club dates. We are not doing any crazy touring runs at the moment but rather just playing shows that make sense for US at this moment. Other than that the three of us want to record a new full length as soon as possible. Setting aside time to do the record is a priority for us right now.

Thanks to everyone that has supported us.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
SS76
Posting Freak

Mood: RAMALLAH

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 09:32 AM

don't really want to go if Rob's not playing.

Silence is golden but violence is platinum.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SS76

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 10:39 AM

I don't know. I don't do shows anymore, but if this came around I might have to reconsider my current stance Rob playing or not. As long as he supports it, it IS Blood for Blood and I would feel comfortable seeing them with a stand in guitarist. On a side note, I have always like Billy G from Biohazard and thought he was a cool choice to do this so that could be fun. I actually hope they make it to VA somewhere along the way so I can check out the new chapter :)
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 11:50 AM

Isn't there another interview too? I think you tweeted it, Duane. Can you post the link here?

panzerkreuzer
Posting Freak

Mood: gang green

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
Isn't there another interview too? I think you tweeted it, Duane. Can you post the link here?

http://www.worcestermag.com/home/top-stories/Blood-For-Blood...

panzerkreuzer
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SS76

the line up with billy worked out very well. definately worth watching.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 12:35 PM

I don't care who plays guitar, but for me it needs to be Rob singing his lyrics, not a stand-in.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
panzerkreuzer
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 12:40 PM

that´s a point. for me it was important that the collective worked.

XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 12:54 PM

[MiniRant]

Ok, the interview that Honus posted up got it right by putting (Laughs) in Rob's interview answers. The other linked interview however...

"Rob Lind: From the start Blood For Blood elicited a strong reaction. Our early shows at the Rat (R.I.P.) were scenes of such violence that I am pretty sure that I am going to hell just for witnessing them... lol sort of."

LOL? Really??? I don't even think Rob knows what that is let alone I doubt he would ever say "LOL"...

[/MiniRant]

PS: I have a feeling I am going to be kicking myself in the ass for missing this show. Why do I have a feeling either Rob will be performing or will at least make an appearance on a song... Even if not, I know I will regret missing this but the money is not their for this and my 91 olds can not handle a trip to Worcester.

Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 01:22 PM

I would be beyond shocked if he went to Worcester. I talked to him on the phone for like an hour last night and he never mentioned it. It also wouldn't surprise me if he did the interview through email and actually typed LOL. He's always good for the throwback internet language.

XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 02:37 PM

I had figured he didn't even know what an "internet" is. ;) Not in a dumb way, just in a "I don't care about that shit / not my thing." way.

Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 02:46 PM

He used to be like that. I think he uses it mostly to play the xbox or something. But the things the guy does with his internet time are always a riot. People like us putz around here all day talking shit and gossipping and he'll be like "so I spent a few hours today researching survival statistics of traveling monks during the black plague". Or something like that. That is about 80% a real quote.

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 03:40 PM

I cant link them because I'm at work, but Craig posted pictures of his new custom guitar that has the BFB skull at the 12th fret. Its awesome because its a First Act guitar. I've seen them do guitars for a few other punk bands, but I think they are most known for the kids guitars at Toys R Us and stuff like that. In the comments on the picture of the guitar on Facebook Billy commented about posting a picture of his so that probably means Billy is playing the Worcester show.

Quote:
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

Mickey

Mood: Wisdom In Chains

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 05:09 PM

Ken Susi from Unearth posted last night he was at BFB practice ....got me wondering.

I'm ok with people not liking me
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
I cant link them because I'm at work, but Craig posted pictures of his new custom guitar that has the BFB skull at the 12th fret. Its awesome because its a First Act guitar. I've seen them do guitars for a few other punk bands, but I think they are most known for the kids guitars at Toys R Us and stuff like that. In the comments on the picture of the guitar on Facebook Billy commented about posting a picture of his so that probably means Billy is playing the Worcester show.

I believe from SOIA is now using the First Act Custom guitars. No knobs on them and volume all the way up is the only setting.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 4-15-2011 at 12:08 AM

I commented on the facebook post the band did and asked if Rob was playing, the reply was read the article.

I still don't see it and obviously it's not clear to people here either, so I'm happy I'm not insane.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
MikeFromInhuman
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-15-2011 at 03:02 AM

The cool thing about Billy from BIOHAZARD filling in for Rob is that from the first time I heard BFB, I thought Rob's vocals sounded a bit like Billy so Billy stepping in was brilliant.

I didn't get to see BFB with Billy though, but I bet it was cool to see live.

If BFB plays NYC this year, I am there.
Last time I saw them was in 2003 when Inhuman played with them in Europe.

Fun Fact - the first Inhuman tour we ever did was in 1997 with BFB and ALL OUT WAR.
It was only 4 or 5 shows, but quite awesome and fun.

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 4-15-2011 at 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CR83

I believe from SOIA is now using the First Act Custom guitars. No knobs on them and volume all the way up is the only setting.

Thats cool. the first guitar I ever saw like that was the Nikki Sixx Gibson 'Black Bird' signature bass. It has an on/off toggle switch and thats it. No knobs at all.

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-15-2011 at 10:41 AM

FirstAct is one of the best custom guitar manufacturers. They do the kid stuff too, but some HUGE bands have custom FirstAct guitars.

Good punk/HC/oi shows coming up. Check out http://myspace.com/refuseresistband

Go To Top