Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  14
Author: Subject: New HBO series Game of Thrones
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-30-2013 at 10:47 PM

and have new high level information that debunks what the novel writer and show creators have already admitted to in print?

I'm not saying you're fabricating anything, but "because I said so" isn't a source...it's just water cooler gossip. People at my work say all kinds of shit, most of it isn't based anywhere near anything in reality. Nor do the truck drivers or shop labor have any idea what high level management have planned for their projects.

So I'm legitimately curious, where is this coming from (not looking for names to be named) and have they admitted how they're going to stay ahead of the author if they're rushing through the story faster than him? Because you're breaking first time news anywhere here.

MikeFromInhuman
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-31-2013 at 08:59 PM

I guess we will see once the show starts.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 01:32 AM

i love the passion!

i've really enjoyed the shows. we just watched both seasons over the course of a couple weeks. didn't time it this way intentionally, but i'm glad we just just finished last week and season 3 is starting soon. also glad i have cable at the moment.

is the book series still ongoing? I may pick one up ti check it out some time.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 10:26 AM

Yes, it's still ongoing. He has 5 books written in a supposedly 7 book series (at one point it was 3 books, then 6 books and the story keeps getting bigger so it went to 7).

The author is NOTORIOUSLY slow in writing these...Dance with Dragons the 5th books was delayed almost 2 years I think...it came out last summer and he was releasing sample chapters from it all the way back in 2006.

Optimistically book 6 might come out in 2015 knowing his track record. That's where the disbelief in Mikes story comes from, especially when the creators of the show have already said otherwise in print.

2013 - Season 3 - Book 3
2014 - Season 4 - Book 4
2015 - Season 5 - Book 5
2016 - Season 6 - Book 6 (if the book was to actually make it out in 2015...they would have to start show production 3 days after the book was released)
2017 - Season 7 - Book 7 (if book 7 followed the 3-5 year path...they would have to take a 3-5 year break in the show to wait for him to write the book? )

The producer also stated somewhere recently that they were no longer following the "book a season" format and they were going to stage the seasons as req'd to follow the larger narrative.

Books 4 and 5 were actually intended to be one book at one point but it was to monstrous so it got split. So it happened during the same time period, but book 4 is one half of the world and book 5 is the other half.

So splitting book 3 buys them a year (not to mention it's physically impossible to cram most of these story arcs into one season and not totally fuck the rest of the series). Making the combined books 4 and 5 stories into two seasons...possibly even 3, buys them another two.

The creators of the show know how the story ends, the author is no spring chicken and they had to have a game plan in case he passes before it's done...but they're never going to be able to get ahead of the books when he's alive.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 10:48 AM

Here's the quote I was looking for, thanks to the wonders of Google...

Here’s what executive producer D. B. Weiss had to say about how they’re going to handle Game of Thrones season 3, 4 and beyond:
Well… “A Storm of Swords” is too long to fit in a single season. And as readers know, “A Feast for Crows” and “A Dance with Dragons” takes place during roughly the same time frame, so we’ll have to fold those together. The plan, if we’re lucky enough to be given the opportunity to see it through, is to use as many seasons as we need to tell the story as a whole, to do justice to George’s entire opus.

Continuing, executive producer David Benioff goes on to explain their approach to adapting George R. R. Martin’s fantasy series to television, and how keep a book per season isn’t important.

We’re not looking at our series as a book-by-book adaptation so much as an adaptation of George’s entire saga. In other words, in our minds season two is not “A Clash of Kings.” It is the second season of our adaptation of “A Song of Ice and Fire.”
MikeFromInhuman
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 03:22 PM

I do know for a fact that "The Red Wedding" IS happening on the GOT show this year.
"The Red Wedding" is towards the end of the 3rd book...

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 04:03 PM

Yeah, the Red Wedding is happening this season, they've been pretty public about that.

That doesn't mean that they're going to cram the remainder of the storylines in prior though. Obviously that's a huge climactic event (the show producers have said that scene is one of the main reasons they wanted to do this series)...that would mean there's 3 weddings, Snows return, a certain other HUGE event at the wall, Tyrions daddy issues and more happening in the last 3-4 episodes?...I don't even know how they could build up to all that in the first 6 or so episodes without our heads exploding. Not to mention things with the Stark kids, Boltons, Dany etc. There's a LOT of shit they can leave out from Storm...but not any of that stuff. Some of the stuff is hard to keep up with in the books...a casual show goer will have no idea what the hell is going on.

They haven't introduced anyone from Dorne yet, and they're not cast for this season, so that would completely jack the events after the Purple Wedding. They play a heavier part later in the books so I don't think they're eliminated entirely, even if they dont have the Viper and the Mountain...which would be a huge mis-step. That's one of the most beloved fights in the entire series.

They can easily push the PW, the Dornish and the events surrounding it into season 4 as well as the "event" at the wall and all the RW aftermath and Ironborn events.

There's no reason any of those need to happen prior to the RW. Plus adding those new cast members won't seem as bloated after the house cleaning at the RW. Then they don't completely blow their load in season three...you spread all that amazing material over two seasons and make people hungry for season 5.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 07:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MikeFromInhuman  
I do know for a fact that "The Red Wedding" IS happening on the GOT show this year.

The Red Wedding is half way through Book 3.

MikeFromInhuman
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 10:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaveMoral  
Quote: Originally posted by MikeFromInhuman  

The Red Wedding is half way through Book 3.

I stand somewhat corrected as it is the mid/3rd qtr mark, I just looked :)

You guys are NUTS.
Ha.

barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 2-3-2013 at 01:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BDx13  

is the book series still ongoing? I may pick one up ti check it out some time.

George R.R. Martin is morbidly obese and a New York Jets fan, two factors which make him a must have for anyone playing a celebrity death pool.

That being said the books are definitely worth checking out and the more people miserably awaiting for the release of Winds of Winter the better I feel. If audiobooks are your thing I would highly recommend them. They are narrated by all around bad motherfucker Roy Dotrice, who does something like 500 characters over the 5 book series. Even if audiobooks aren't your thing it's still worth checking out, Dotrice is that bad ass. His credentials include lying about his age to join the Royal Air Force at 16, spending three years in a German POW camp after getting shot out of the sky, holding a Guinness world record for most solo stage performances, being part of the Royal Shakespeare Company, winning a Tony, and convincingly doing 500 characters in one of the greatest fantasy saga's of all time.

Also unless you dive into a vault of gold like Scrooge McDuck the audibooks, which are a staggering $40-50 a piece for download, are best found liberated from the internet. They are all up on various torrent sites in their entirety and quality is top notch. Buy the books and merch so people still get paid, but fuck paying $250 for an audiobook series.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-4-2013 at 04:29 PM

jesus christmas, how long are these books??

my library does audiobook rentals, maybe I'll check that out.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-4-2013 at 04:34 PM

They are fucking long. And keep getting longer.

lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-4-2013 at 10:20 PM

we got the audio books
the first one us 75 or so chapter and are a bit over an hour each...
but yeah they are awesome

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-6-2013 at 02:01 PM

EXCLUSIVE: George R.R. Martin, on whose fantasy book series HBO‘s hit drama Game Of Thrones is based, has signed a two-year overall deal with the pay cable network. Under the pact, Martin will continue as co-executive producer on Game Of Thrones, whose Season 3 premieres March 31. Additionally, he will develop and produce new series projects for the network. Attached to Martin’s upcoming HBO development is his long-time representative, manager Vince Gerardis. In addition to co-executive producing Game Of Thrones, Martin has written multiple episodes of the fantasy series. His TV writing credits also include The Twilight Zone and the original Beauty And The Beast. He is with WME.

Good luck on this dude getting any book writing done at all now...takes him 5 years as it is. I have this strange feeling we'll be seeing the end of the story playing out on TV before we read it in a book.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 2-7-2013 at 12:57 PM

Just curious, has anybody read any of his other books? I was wondering if they're worth checking out.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-20-2013 at 09:03 AM

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/02/mgot-how-season-three-wrap...

Looks like that's that's the Battle at the Fist, if they are including that, it's yet another indication that all of book 3 is not in this season, no way they're doing that and the other northern skirmish, 2/3 of the season would have to revolve around the watch.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-20-2013 at 08:36 PM

i just like telling my wife, "winter is coming." doesn't matter what it's in reference to.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-20-2013 at 09:33 PM

Me too. I wish the merch wasn't so damned expensive. I'd have Winter Is Coming everything.

lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-20-2013 at 11:18 PM

smartess has some GOT merch ideas I guess I need to get them up before next month

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-20-2013 at 11:25 PM

I bought a Greyjoy ringer off HBO.com yesterday with my 20% coupon from the S2 Blue-ray

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 2-20-2013 at 11:49 PM

Do the dvd's have much in the way of special features?

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-21-2013 at 12:17 AM

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-21-2013 at 06:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Discipline  
Do the dvd's have much in the way of special features?

not sure on the dvd's but the br has a ton of extra stuff:

lu-ray Exclusives

War of the Five Kings: Track the claims, strategies and key players involved in the battle for the Iron Throne with this interactive guide. Follow the movements of various armies and learn all about their victories and defeats.

Histories & Lore: 19 animated histories detailing the mythology of Westeros and Essos as told from the varying perspectives of the characters themselves and featuring, in-part, illustrations from Game of Thrones storyboard artist Will Simpson.

In-Episode Guide: An in-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations and relevant histories.
Hidden Dragon Eggs – Find the hidden dragon eggs to uncover even more never-before-seen content.

Other Special Features

Audio Commentaries: 12 commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington and more.

Creating the Battle of Blackwater Bay: See how the epic Battle of Blackwater Bay was brought to life in this exclusive, in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at the climatic episode. The 30-minute feature showcases never-before-seen interviews with cast and crew.

Game of Thrones: Inner Circle: Actors Emilia Clarke, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Michelle Fairley and Liam Cunningham talk in detail about their experiences shooting season two in this roundtable discussion moderated by executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

The Religions of Westeros: Hear author George R.R. Martin, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss discuss the competing religions in the series and how they influence the various characters in Westeros and beyond.

Character Profiles: Profiles of seven major characters as described by the actors portraying them including Renly Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon, Robb Stark, Theon Greyjoy and more.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 2-21-2013 at 12:22 PM

Might have to invest in the blu rays. The special features sound quite enticing.

That raven shirt is awesome.

lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-21-2013 at 12:49 PM

thanks man I might put them up in the store later tonight
we need to find a better shipping option to Canada
the us post is charging 20.00 for priority mail now
maybe I'll send it by raven

Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  14

Go To Top