Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  14
Author: Subject: New HBO series Game of Thrones
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-17-2013 at 08:48 PM

For real? You don't see the inherent racist bullshit in a white savior being worshipped by a bunch of brown people?

lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-18-2013 at 12:46 AM

and the show isn't misogynist, or homophobic either...
maybe you present issues to spur discussion especially in a semi historical sense...
all of these issues did and have existed.
if you think that scene was racist maybe it was built that way so people question the idea of a white savior,
but can there be discussion of topics without such hostility and anger

yeah it's racist, ok so now what boycott it
making a female child marry without her consent never happens anymore, oh wait it does a lot.
but is the show glorifying it or are they spurring discussion,
should art challenge or just be so pc that issues get swept under the rug.

because GOT is the only show with racism on television.
and true blood has nothing to do with bigotry against homosexuals.

if people didn't get so easily bent out of shape and were able to talk more with an even keel maybe there wouldn't be half the issues.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-18-2013 at 05:53 AM

First of all, you guys are projecting a lot of your own issues on me. My commentary is merely that that was literally the most racist bit of television in decades. And that's including the news media. And it wasn't presented in any manner other than "yay! extremely white, Aryan, girl saves all the poor helpless brown people" and said brown people were presented as little more than primitive humans who could barely speak.

It's the whole theme of the white savior magnified tenfold, without any sense of critique. Hell, it's the entire cultural thrust of the Euro-American worldview since the colonial era distilled into a scene that was all of 5 minutes long.

If there's any hostility and anger coming out in relation to this scene, it isn't from me. All I did was point it out, with a wry grin.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-18-2013 at 06:11 AM

dragon mama needs her eyebrows waxed......just saying
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-18-2013 at 08:39 AM

I'm not arguing that the scene could be seen as "racist", if you're looking for it. Still didn't answer the question of what color they should have been though.

There's been plenty of discussion elsewhere on how the characters/cast on this show have been Anglo-ized in comparison with the books, with the exception of Sallador and he who cannot be spelled in Quarth, one would believe that whole universe is pasty white.

Unfortunately that results in one of the rare instances of a different looking culture being inserted into the show, also turning into a convenient vehicle for white guilt.

As far as the whole primitive humans thing, you're really stretching that there...the people are oppressed slaves speaking a different language entirely...were they supposed to sit down with Dany in a coffee shop and have some quasi intelligent Tarantino dialogue for 40 minutes?

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-18-2013 at 08:48 AM

And the Dothraki were just as brown as the Yunkish...out of curiosity, how was the Aryan girl being sold into sex slavery to them perceived?
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-18-2013 at 09:34 AM

they're probably all CGI so they're not even people after all..

and it is make believe.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 6-18-2013 at 10:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaveMoral  
First of all, you guys are projecting a lot of your own issues on me. My commentary is merely that that was literally the most racist bit of television in decades. And that's including the news media. And it wasn't presented in any manner other than "yay! extremely white, Aryan, girl saves all the poor helpless brown people" and said brown people were presented as little more than primitive humans who could barely speak.

It's the whole theme of the white savior magnified tenfold, without any sense of critique. Hell, it's the entire cultural thrust of the Euro-American worldview since the colonial era distilled into a scene that was all of 5 minutes long.

If there's any hostility and anger coming out in relation to this scene, it isn't from me. All I did was point it out, with a wry grin.

I understand what you're saying, I just think you're reading too much into it. If I were to analyze the show in terms of race, I would guess that the overwhelming majority of the characters are white because of who is making the show. The show is being produced by HBO, an American company company. The population of the US is made up of many people, but in terms of percentages the country is still mostly white. Therefore, I think a lot of people might say it makes sense that HBO is going to cast in this way based solely on who the potential audiences are. That's how I see it anyway. I don't think it was done that way to show white superiority.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-18-2013 at 05:22 PM

The majority of the cast is white because GRRM's world is white. I'd argue most of the Dothraki were not non-white people at all, and they were depicted as mostly a bunch of grunting savages from the start.

The fact of Dany and the Yunkish slaves doesn't bother me in as much as the construction of the scene itself does. After all, I read the book and it didn't strike me as particularly racially problematic. It's the whole crowd surfing, pilgrimage to Mecca vibe at the conclusion of the scene.

Vanilla Gorilla
Posting Freak

Mood: Yellow Stitches

[*] posted on 6-19-2013 at 03:40 PM

this seems like trying to find a problem with something for the sake of it

Well I've got a feeling I'm gonna get mine in. Retribution let the games begin.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-19-2013 at 06:10 PM

I've been somebody's white assed honky slave for the last 20 years one way or another.....
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-20-2013 at 09:50 PM

i completely understand your point, dave. but i was far more offended by this:

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-20-2013 at 09:50 PM

http://jezebel.com/on-miley-cyrus-ratchet-culture-and-access...

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-21-2013 at 07:47 AM

Holy derailment, Batman...season 4 hurry up and save this thread.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-21-2013 at 07:49 AM

Oh boy....
Perhaps I'm more offended by the Yunkai liberation scene because of the appropriation of Hajj-like imagery.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 6-21-2013 at 10:58 AM

Oh boy....
Perhaps I'm more offended by the Yunkai liberation scene because of the appropriation of Hajj-like imagery.

I think a far better example of racism in Hollywood was having Tom Cruise be "The Last Samurai." I enjoyed many aspects of the movie, but that ending both pissed me off and offended me at the same time.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-21-2013 at 11:02 AM

Oh boy....

like i said, i definitely get where you're coming from.

Quote: Originally posted by Discipline  

I think a far better example of racism in Hollywood was having Tom Cruise be "The Last Samurai." I enjoyed many aspects of the movie, but that ending both pissed me off and offended me at the same time.

such a fucking utterly ridiculous premise. was cruise meant to be the last samauri or watanabe?

Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  
Holy derailment, Batman...season 4 hurry up and save this thread.

hahahahaaaa!!!

SHAKO KEN

Mood: cynic

[*] posted on 6-21-2013 at 04:02 PM

White people usually prefer if a movie about another culture has a white protagonist to identify with. Think Dances with wolves, Amistad, Last Samurai. It's probably a combination of white guilt and xenophobia.
As for the GOT end scene, i also didn't like the mindlessness and thought it was a silly image. Don't know if they got their inspiration from the Hajj or maybe the Balinese kecak dance.
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 7-13-2013 at 09:55 AM

Dave still fighting the good fight :) I must say though, Even though I had read the series and knew it was coming, that Red Wedding scene was still tense as all hell! What a great adaptation, I love this show
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 7-13-2013 at 12:36 PM

They were in the desert. Pasty white people tend not to live in the desert. Therefore slaves are mostly brown.
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 9-9-2013 at 12:53 PM

So I'm watching some strongman competitions and see this fear inducing man by the name of Hafthor Bjornsson. Old Hafthor measures in at a stout 6'9", 419lbs. Throw his name in the google search and turns out Hafthor is officially the new Mountain that Rides.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-9-2013 at 01:12 PM

Yes, thankfully. So now we've went from:

This:

To this:

To this:

Ian Whytes voice was cool....but dude was way too skinny (most people probably didn't even know who he was supposed to be in season 2)...if they couldn't get Conan Stevens back this guy is a great choice...because this....

HAS to be perfect, or I'll lose my mind.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-9-2013 at 01:16 PM

Daario Naharis has also been recast from last season. He's now being played by the doper from Treme.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-9-2013 at 01:20 PM

Also this was that dude 6 years ago...crazy transformation:

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-9-2013 at 07:48 PM

they can't keep switching actors up on me like this. i don't know characters by name, only sight!

Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  14

Go To Top