Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How excited are you for the Royal Wedding?
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 02:07 PM
How excited are you for the Royal Wedding?

Fess up...who's staying up all night to watch?

Matty, viewing party at your place, right?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 02:16 PM

all I gotta say is at least she's the first non-inbred looking member to the royal family

record collectors are pretentious assholes
DAK
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 02:21 PM

I couldn't give a rat's ass.

edited for shit proof reading
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 02:35 PM

I can NOT give a shit even if I tried.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
mattybar

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 03:01 PM

hahaha

i imagine i will probably watch a bit of it but i'm pretty much with clevo on this one

my girlfriend walked past Westminster Cathedral YESTERDAY and there were already people pitching tents outside to secure their ring-side spot to er.. stand and wave.

edit-
i was hoping to avoid the crowds and drama but i just remembered i have a 6 hour band practice tomorrow night which means i'm gonna have to go into the city after all. :mad:
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 03:40 PM

i'll tune in for whatever is on when i get up, but i ain't setting any alarms. i mean, it's just SUCH a spectacle. this is real reality tv!

saw pics of people camped out by westminster wearing trash bags. fucking genius.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1381339/Royal-Weddin...

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 03:49 PM

What specifically do they even do for the Country?

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 03:53 PM

edit-
i was hoping to avoid the crowds and drama but i just remembered i have a 6 hour band practice tomorrow night which means i'm gonna have to go into the city after all.

^^^^ AHAHA, Write a song about it. Make it as if The Exploited wrote it.

*CHEOUUSS, BLAHHHH! FUCK THE ROYAL FAMILY, BLAH BLAH!*
-wattie

Ya,. I know they are from Scotland, but whatever.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 04:02 PM

Royal Wedding frenzy turns off many Americans

WASHINGTON (AFP) – For every American setting an alarm clock to go off before dawn Friday to catch the Royal Wedding, there is at least one curmudgeon glowering in a corner, eagerly waiting for the whole thing to be over.

In America, as in Britain, the wedding of Kate and William is almost inescapable.

Food sections of US newspapers have reprinted scone recipes. Entrepreneurial vendors are hawking commemorative tea cosies and replicas of Kate Middleton's now-famous sapphire engagement ring.

And a popular cable station last week aired the made-for-television romance "William and Kate," viewed by millions of Americans.

Still, even in this country besotted this week especially by everything having to do with the royals, there are Americans like writer Yvonne Abraham, who said she has heard all she cares to about the event.

"God save me from the Queen. And from her progeny. And especially from their Wedding of the Century," she wrote in The Boston Globe this week.

"I didn't embrace citizenship of a country defined by its violent rejection of monarchy to turn around and be surrounded by all things royal," Abraham groused.

She's in better company than she knows: Opinion polls have found that those indifferent or even averse to the celebration across "The Pond" greatly outnumber those who are enthralled.
The New York Times, which polled more than 1,200 people last week, found that just 28 percent of respondents said they planned to follow the nuptials "very closely" or "somewhat closely."

By contrast, the paper said 68 percent said they were following the event "not very closely" or "not at all."

One would not know that, however, from the US news coverage.
A battalion of America's top correspondents have decamped from New York and Washington to London this week, providing wall-to-wall coverage of the nuptials.

The Nielsen media tracking company this week reported, that US coverage of William and Kate's wedding has eclipsed that in Britain, with American newspapers, magazines and television networks offering a non-stop diet of wedding fare.

The coverage has rankled some Americans like popular US television comedian Jerry Seinfeld, who antagonized this country's large contingent of Anglophiles with his recent remarks calling the whole event "fake."

"It's a circus act, it's an absurd act," the comedian told Britain's Daily Mail newspaper.

"It's a dress-up," he said. "It's a classic English thing of let's play dress-up. Let's pretend that these are special people.

Seinfeld continued: "That's what the royal family is -- it's a huge game of pretend. These aren't special people -- its fake outfits, fake phony hats and gowns," he said, in remarks not likely to help ticket sales for his comedy tour in Britain later this spring.

Even without the Royal Wedding as a vehicle to put their Anglophilia on full display, Americans are known to harbor a warm regard for all things British.

Advertisers long have known that luxury items in particular sell best when the advertisement is voiced by a British announcer. A Briton, Christiane Amanpour, moderates one of the three sacred US Sunday talk shows on US domestic political affairs.

Another Brit, Piers Morgan who recently replaced venerable American icon Larry King on his popular talkshow said he was not surprised by outpouring ardor for all things English in this country.

"The British monarchy is a unique institution," said Morgan, particularly "here in America where you don't have a royal family."

"It's one of those things that brings Britain and America together. I love the fact that Americans feel so warm towards the royal family. It means a lot to us back home," Morgan said.
Interestingly, some of the most trenchant critics of the frenzy here surrounding Will and Kate's nuptials are from outside the United States, like The Boston Globe's Abraham, who originally hails from Australia.

"Will and Kate are everywhere," she complained, calling the fuss here over the Royal Wedding here "positively un-American."
Another Briton in America, writer Gary Younge, also has been left scratching his head.

"The one thing I thought I'd never have to explain is why the monarchy is a bad idea," he wrote in America's "The Nation" magazine, saying the royalist fervor goes against everything America is supposed to stand for.

"The New World. The American Revolution. The end of inherited entitlement. The home of reinvention, class fluidity and social mobility," he continued.

"When Americans fawn over the forthcoming royal wedding," said Younge, "I'm compelled to do a double take."

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
What specifically do they even do for the Country?

They were chosen by God to rule over the people. Duh.

...oh, and lead them spiritually.

Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 04:19 PM

it's a fascist regime....

record collectors are pretentious assholes
MattyA

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 05:00 PM

No interest what so ever, but seeing that this will probably the only thing on tomorrow. I will most likely end up watching some of it.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 05:20 PM

My mom is a nut for this kind of thing. She'll have it set to record tomorrow morning.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 05:22 PM

my step mother was bat shit for the charles/diana wedding.
hideous tschotskes all over the house.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 05:24 PM

My mom used to have a lot of stuff. She, my sister, and my grandmother were all up at the crack of dawn to watch the Charles/Diana wedding and the Andrew/Sarah Ferguson wedding. I chose to sleep in both times, as even as a young lad I was an evil genius.:baddevil:

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 05:32 PM

careful, she'll be YOUR queen someday, too, pally!

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 05:52 PM

Do they lean more right than left? I assume they do, but I have no idea. Does someone actually live in that Palace?

newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 05:58 PM

I'd really have to put in some effort to give less of a shit than I do.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 06:08 PM

I seriously think the people that are interested in this are 95% woman. You ask a girl and they are into it. Ask a guy, could give a fuck less.

Wife, is going to watch it (not setting alarms / making early for it though).

Self, could give a fuck less.

sentrand
Posting Freak

Mood: hate riot 513,sheer terror, yuppicide, joe coffee

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 06:51 PM

i'll be glad when it's over!

I'm a jerk. All night,I'm seeing Sentrand and thinking "Where do I know that guy from?".
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 10:22 PM

I guess this shows just how much I've excluded mainstream media from my world at this point, but this thread is literally the most I've seen or heard about this wedding in one place. I'm aware that there's a wedding with royalty coming up, but without going and looking for info on it (or even reading back through this thread) I couldn't tell you the most basic details about it. I wanna say the names of the people involved are William and.... is it Kate?

I like being outta the loop on this garbage, I don't need the kind of aggravation I get from hearing about all this kinda worthless bullshit.

Veritas odium parit
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 10:52 PM

I hear them yapping about it when I am trying to get the traffic report for 476 north every morning on the way to work.
I just don't get what's so interesting.
Aren't they the ones we were trying to get away from in the first place...you know...coming to this continent?
bottoms up....
Hoagies for all.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-29-2011 at 06:54 PM

whats this shit i keep hearing about Cronos from Venom being her uncle?
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-29-2011 at 07:45 PM

Go To Top