Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Announcing Bin Laden's Death in Just a Few Minutes
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 5-1-2011 at 10:55 PM
Announcing Bin Laden's Death in Just a Few Minutes

What will this do?

I pray it helps our economy. I'm not kidding. I hope this is the shot we need to help get our country back to work.

Would love to hear what you all think.

I'm seriously pumped about this.
necrobutcher

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 12:10 AM

If he was killed by US forces, I have a bad feeling we just gave Islamic extremists the world over the biggest martyr they could want.

I'm glad he's dead, militant fundamentalism of any type scares the hell out of me.
Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by necrobutcher
I'm glad he's dead, militant fundamentalism of any type scares the hell out of me.

record collectors are pretentious assholes
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 11:24 AM

I believe it will both embolden some cells and break apart others based on their individual strengths. Ultimately it is a blow to the network as a whole and a resounding victory for our nation. It shows the world that no one can hide, he was thought to be the David to our Goliath so to speak with his ability to allude the greatest super power with all of her resources, a real hero to those who share his cause. Now, with his death, the morale of his followers is sure to be knocked down considerably with many questioning "when is it my turn?" I tell you this, give a Navy Seal some valid intel and the tools he needs and you are going to get got, period. As far as his martyrdom, I believe it takes alot of credit from him, while his whackjob followers are out blowing themselves up for his cause, he is stashed away in a mansion for the last ten years waiting it out. I would have no respect for a leader if they asked me to sacrifice so much while they coward away in luxury. Even some of his nutjob followers will see through this bullshit, and if not......they're next.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 04:12 PM

I'm a very cynical man. I'm not sure what meaning this really has, other than the ability to hold up this one guy and say "we got him."

What really concerns me is when does the Federal government relinquish some of the powers they've accrued since 9/11? Will they? And if not, what's the next threat that justifies them keeping said powers or accumulating more emergency powers? And where does that leave us?

Does this now vindicate neo-imperialist military adventurism and the hundreds of thousands of innocents dead from US bombs and firepower?

I cannot abide the celebratory backslapping that Americans have engaged in since last night's speech. Sure, Bin Laden's dead but at what cost? Bankrupting government coffers on 2 wars for nearly 10 years, at least one of which was entirely elective. The tarnishing of good will towards American, and the continued support for that period of tyrannical regimes that the Arab people are now taking out of power without American assistance and lukewarm support from the government that spent billions for 30 years supporting those regimes. The whittling away of civil liberties at home, the increasing vilification of a minority religious group whose adherents come from all racial/ethnic backgrounds you can think of. By some estimates over 1 million Iraqi lives, and how many more thousands of Afghan and Pakistani lives.... most of whom were not fighting against the United States in the first place.

How can we revel in the death of our enemies, while we would chastise and justify our petty hatreds of "the other"for allegedly reveling in the deaths of their perceived enemies?

Don't get me wrong, I am thankful the man is dead. He's one of many monsters, this one created by the CIA's Frankenstein building operations in Afghanistan in the 80s, that this world is better without. He is not only a cowardly butcher, but a man who has hijacked the religion in which I have found so much beauty.

"To rejoice over a victory is to rejoice over the slaughter of men! Hence a man who rejoices over the slaughter of men cannot expect to thrive in the world of men." - Lao Tzu

BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
I'm a very cynical man. I'm not sure what meaning this really has, other than the ability to hold up this one guy and say "we got him."

What really concerns me is when does the Federal government relinquish some of the powers they've accrued since 9/11? Will they? And if not, what's the next threat that justifies them keeping said powers or accumulating more emergency powers? And where does that leave us?

Does this now vindicate neo-imperialist military adventurism and the hundreds of thousands of innocents dead from US bombs and firepower?

I cannot abide the celebratory backslapping that Americans have engaged in since last night's speech. Sure, Bin Laden's dead but at what cost? Bankrupting government coffers on 2 wars for nearly 10 years, at least one of which was entirely elective. The tarnishing of good will towards American, and the continued support for that period of tyrannical regimes that the Arab people are now taking out of power without American assistance and lukewarm support from the government that spent billions for 30 years supporting those regimes. The whittling away of civil liberties at home, the increasing vilification of a minority religious group whose adherents come from all racial/ethnic backgrounds you can think of. By some estimates over 1 million Iraqi lives, and how many more thousands of Afghan and Pakistani lives.... most of whom were not fighting against the United States in the first place.

How can we revel in the death of our enemies, while we would chastise and justify our petty hatreds of "the other"for allegedly reveling in the deaths of their perceived enemies?

Don't get me wrong, I am thankful the man is dead. He's one of many monsters, this one created by the CIA's Frankenstein building operations in Afghanistan in the 80s, that this world is better without. He is not only a cowardly butcher, but a man who has hijacked the religion in which I have found so much beauty.

"To rejoice over a victory is to rejoice over the slaughter of men! Hence a man who rejoices over the slaughter of men cannot expect to thrive in the world of men." - Lao Tzu

Very well put.

BKT

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 07:48 PM

I don't see how this shitbag getting got is going to tun around the economy of all things....
back to work doing what?
Being an Air Marshall?
Not trying to be a jerk, but I just don't see it.
CR83

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MQ74
I don't see how this shitbag getting got is going to tun around the economy of all things....
back to work doing what?
Being an Air Marshall?

Oh Man, no offense at all. I'm just hoping this provides momentum for the stock market to pick up, housing to improve and getting the economy moving faster in a solid and positive direction because we feel "good" again. This, in turn, could help create jobs. Improving morale and having confidence will go along way. I also hope it starts banding our country together again.

Just positivity more than anything.
BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-3-2011 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CR83
Quote:
Originally posted by MQ74
back to work doing what?
Being an Air Marshall?

Oh Man, no offense at all. I'm just hoping this provides momentum for the stock market to pick up, housing to improve and getting the economy moving faster in a solid and positive direction because we feel "good" again. This, in turn, could help create jobs. Improving morale and having confidence will go along way. I also hope it starts banding our country together again.

Just positivity more than anything.

I agree with 100%. Its amazing how much positivity can change things. Hell the whole stock market runs on rumors before it runs on facts. Good feeling is a good thing for the economy.

BKT.

Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 5-3-2011 at 12:46 PM

I look at this the same way I look at a domestic child killer, rapist etc being shot in the head. Justice was served in some form or fashion for the victims of the crime.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-3-2011 at 05:50 PM

^True enough. Though I think the real justice will come in the fires of Hell, personally.

Nevertheless. Where do we go from here? How long can the al-Qa'ida boogey man work as the millenial adversary that justifies and necessitates the way our federal government operates? Who's next? China?

Voodoobillyman

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
^True enough. Though I think the real justice will come in the fires of Hell, personally.

Nevertheless. Where do we go from here? How long can the al-Qa'ida boogey man work as the millenial adversary that justifies and necessitates the way our federal government operates? Who's next? China?

They always find the "who's next". It's just a matter of time, now that there is alot less justification to be in Afghanistan and Iraq has been winding down. Personally I have always enjoyed being involved in humanitarian missions much moreso than any combat missions. haiti was far more rewarding and job satisfying than Iraq was. The Navy even wants to lean towards this ideal with the new slogan "A Global Force for Good". I find we are living in very anxious and interesting times brothers and sisters :)
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 12:27 AM

suggested reading:
Getting Bin Laden
What happened that night in Abbottabad.
by Nicholas Schmidle
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/08/08/110808fa_fact_...

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
CR83

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 10:50 PM

This gives me goosebumps:

Nine years, seven months, and twenty days after September 11th, an American was a trigger pull from ending bin Laden’s life. The first round, a 5.56-mm. bullet, struck bin Laden in the chest. As he fell backward, the SEAL fired a second round into his head, just above his left eye. On his radio, he reported, “For God and country—Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo.” After a pause, he added, “Geronimo E.K.I.A.”—“enemy killed in action.”

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/08/08/110808fa_fact_...
Johnny_Whistle

Mood: the voices

[*] posted on 8-5-2011 at 10:06 AM

Unfortunately, the story's probably made up: http://www.registan.net/index.php/2011/08/04/the-schmidle-mu...

http://www.facebook.com/johncurtinmusic

"Making people laugh is the lowest form of comedy"
-Michael O'Donnohue
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 10:47 AM

very interesting...

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.

Go To Top