Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My new dog ZABAR! A rescue from NYC.
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 07:48 AM
My new dog ZABAR! A rescue from NYC.

My wife is on a facebook rescue that posts up when dogs are being put down as a last ditch effort to get them addopted. Zabar (Pit Bull Mix) was posted up and was going to die that day (Wednesday the 4th) since the NYC Animal Care & Control puts down TONS and TONS of dogs. She enquired about him thinking the process might take a while to fully get him up here since we are still in a small 640sq ft condo and not in our house yet (hoping to close this Friday). She got a rescue to pull him Thursday the 5th and he was up here that Sunday.

We could not have asked for a better dog! He is about 10 - 11 months old and already house trained / crate trained. He still has his balls since he has kenel cough right now but those will be going REALLY quick since he likes to teabag our female dogs (American Bulldog, Angel) face and try to hump her.

My wife then saw this article posted about some awesome people that do a "job" that I could NEVER do but I give them props for doing it.

http://www.tailsinc.com/tag/compassion-project/

The article is basically about people that volunteer to spend the night with dogs that are going to be put down the next night, play with them, give them treats, let them give tons of kisses, etc. Kinda like a more possitive version of a "last meal" for dogs that shouldn't have to be put down in the first place. I am pretty sure that Zabar probably got this treatment from these people since this was the shelter he was at when he was sentenced to die so I am grateful for this program, but sad about it at the same time.

Ok, now it is time for me to get on my soapbox... DON'T BUY DOGS FROM A FUCKING PET STORE / BREEDER!!! Theres TONS of excelent dogs out there that need a good home.

PS: His name is of a place in NYC called Zabar's (that me and the wife stumbled upon when I went to NYC for the first time with her) which is a classic NYC place with a restaurant and a grocery store / dept store of sorts. We wanted to name our next dog Zabar reguardless of where he was from but it worked out PERFECT that he came from NYC.

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 09:05 AM

Awesome story and great looking dog!

Veritas odium parit
BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 09:52 AM

Great looking dog and I am really happy for you. Nothing better then the love of a dog.

Not buying from a pet store I agree with 100%. However, breeders and I mean good ones are great for the preservation of dog breeds. They are the people doing the most for the breeds, keeping them healthy and insuring that they only end up in good qualified homes. Agin I am only talking about good breeders here. There is no doubt there are a lot more bad ones then good ones, but we can not lump all breeders into the same category.

If it were not for good breeders the Cane Corso (the breed I own) would have gone extinct many years ago and it would have been a real shame as they are amazing animals when placed in the proper home. Just my two cents on breeders.

BKT.

Johnny_Whistle

Mood: the voices

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 10:03 AM

Nice save!

http://www.facebook.com/johncurtinmusic

"Making people laugh is the lowest form of comedy"
-Michael O'Donnohue
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BKT
Great looking dog and I am really happy for you. Nothing better then the love of a dog.

Not buying from a pet store I agree with 100%. However, breeders and I mean good ones are great for the preservation of dog breeds. They are the people doing the most for the breeds, keeping them healthy and insuring that they only end up in good qualified homes. Agin I am only talking about good breeders here. There is no doubt there are a lot more bad ones then good ones, but we can not lump all breeders into the same category.

If it were not for good breeders the Cane Corso (the breed I own) would have gone extinct many years ago and it would have been a real shame as they are amazing animals when placed in the proper home. Just my two cents on breeders.

BKT.

I agree to a point but...

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?animal_type=&pet_breed=c...

172 Cane Corsos available for adoption. Some are mixes, but I just glanced and it looks like quite a few are pure.

Why anyone breeds Pit Bulls is beyond me... So many of them are destroyed each day. Obviously, like you points out, if breeding stopped altogether there would be no purebreeds left, but there are way too many breeders taking it into the opposite direction.

Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 11:14 AM

good for you getting a rescue pup, I'm so glad more & more people are doing this these days. Good looking dog

record collectors are pretentious assholes
MikeFromInhuman
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 12:41 PM

What a handsome pooch!

XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeFromInhuman
What a handsome pooch!

He is a ham! Follows me around like a shadow when I go home for my lunch break.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 01:15 PM

nme that is awesome. Looks like a very handsome pup as well. The breeders need to be put in check as well. The legit breeders not so much but the backyard bastards, those fuckers need to be stopped. Too many stupid pieces of shit breeding dogs for all the wrong reasons.

If you don't mind me asking what do places like that run when getting a dog? Does it fluctuate on the breed or age of the pup? Or is it strictly a donation? If its a donation what is a good donation amount? My local APL is I think $50- $60 or so.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 02:40 PM

His fee was $100, another one we looked into but the dog was already addopted was $350 so I guess it all depends.

CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 5-17-2011 at 08:52 PM

What a handsome dog and congrats. Pits are amazing, caring, fun, tough and certainly spirited. They are loyal and an amazing family dog. Good for you on rescuing him. We have rescued both of ours and we have no regrets.

Good for you!
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 09:16 AM

Both of ours were as well. The amercian bulldog was dropped at a Doberman rescue in the area and that is where the wife got her. She sure looks like a doberman...

ChadBeantown

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 11:10 AM

That is a great looking dog!!! My wife goes on sites everyday looking to adopt. It is very sad how many dogs are being put down each day.

morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 12:10 AM

Congrats. That's a damn good looking dog. Always liked the look of pit bulls but I'm just wary of them. Regardless it's awesome your giving it a good home.

I adopted a Doberman, German Sheperd mix a few months ago. I love having her around.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 08:24 AM

Like any dog, just gotta raise them right. I was wary about adopting a pit without having met him but do not regret it one bit. If he was older I would have wanted to meet him first.

Go To Top