Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Netflix price hike
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 08:29 AM
Netflix price hike

Is anyone else pissed about this?

Arguably, it's still a great deal. Best there is. However, it seems to be a ploy to switch everything over to streaming. In which case, the consumer is getting screwed.

I would gladly go 100% streaming, but they aren't getting new releases on there even after they have them on DVD/Blu-Ray let alone at the same time as OnDemand. The best thing they've added in months was The Fighter on Wednesday. Still, I should be able to watch The A-Team streaming, but instead I had to have a disc shipped to me. Meanwhile, in the past 2 weeks 6 or 7 titles have vanished from my Instant Queue without warning. Two of them were TV series I was in the middle of watching.

So in essence, I have to pay $6/month more for the same service I've been paying $12/month for... with no improvements and no garauntees. I won't be able to get True Grit streaming and have to have it shipped to me still. And at any time what I have in my Queue could just disappear while I'm in the middle of watching it or making my way to it. I have no incentive to switch to streaming-only, and every incentive to just drop Netflix entirely based on principle. Which I probably won't do, because I'm not going anywhere else to rent movies.

The real kick in the teeth, HuluPlus actually has a good number of the same things that Netflix does. Both for TV and B- and C-movies and probably some more obscure stuff that Netflix doesn't even have. And they certainly have TV that Netflix doesn't have.

It just sucks because there's not full one-to-one parity between Hulu and Netflix that dropping one in favor of the other wouldn't hurt your options in some way.

Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 09:51 AM

I blame the studios. MPAA etc would have been on their balls about licensing etc, trying to milk their service as much as possible and this is only the beginning. I imagine the studios will try to launch a similar competing service to undercut Netflix too lol.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 11:12 AM

heard about it yesterday.....I woke up panicing that they'd overdraw my bank account this morning, I get billed tomorrow & all I have is the $16 for the bill in there. Not super happy avout this, but still a great deal compared to Blockbuster. There was a good interview with the one of the co-founders on Charlie Rose a few months back, if anyone else caught that

record collectors are pretentious assholes
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 11:55 AM

What is the beginning basic fee now?

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 12:16 PM

$7.99/month for streaming-only, or $7.99/month for DVD-only. If you want both you have to pay $16/month.

As soon as I figure out a cheaper, reliable internet service provider as an alternative to paying $80/month for FIOS I won't sweat Netflix as much. It just seems like literally every company out there is actively trying to screw me right now.

I'm looking at Clear 4G WiMax Home for internet. Anyone have anything to say about that?

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 01:40 PM

They have Netflix in Canada now, but it's streaming only, whcih sucks as I have limited upload/download usage each month. I'd likely end up going over the limit unless I up my service with my ISP. There's another company called Zip.ca I go with, and they send me dvd's in the mail. I'm quite happy with that.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
MikeFromInhuman
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 09:51 PM

REALLY pissed about this and still not sure what to do come Sept.

I guess I am leaning towards just the physical dvds mainly because of the selection difference.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 7-16-2011 at 11:46 PM

I'm afraid that's the best answer we're going to get, short of the conspiracy theories. (One of them is that Netflix wants to hasten the demise of the DVD. This price hike will force millions of people to go for streaming only, a more profitable business for Netflix.)

"The size and timing of that price leap still don't make sense to me. Especially when Netflix used to be considered such a good-hearted, consumer-focused company. The way it handled this shift feels extraordinarily blunt, ham-handed and emotionally tone-deaf.

"I've had this conversation over and over again for the last 24 hours," said Mr. Swasey. "Yes, 60 percent is a big number. But that increase is only $6 a month more. That's a latte a month. We've gone from an extreme terrific value to a terrific value.""

^^^ from some yahoo site.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 7-17-2011 at 02:44 AM

Considering netflix is my substitute for cable, the price is still reasonable. With that being said, this still sucks if they go through with it. I'll probably stick with just streaming if they do that. If I really want to see a new release I'll go out and actually rent it. Hopefully they will add a bunch of titles if they decide to jack up the price.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-17-2011 at 08:51 AM

They did get The Fighter up for streaming this week.

I'm not happy about the price hike primarily because it's come to light in the midst of all this other bullshit I'm trying to deal with on my whole entertainment side of things. I'm having a bitch of a time finding an internet service provider and almost feel trapped by FIOS because of how great the deal actually is when you have cable, internet and phone in a package. The two best deals I've seen thus far are Clear 4G and Verizon 4G LTE, but even then they are kind of iffy when you consider it's a broadband network for cell phones and who the fuck knows if my house is in a good spot for that? There's no way I could know without getting it and checking it out.

Plus, nothing compares to the 25 mbps I'm supposedly getting with FIOS.

Furly
Posting Freak

Mood: Not your band.

[*] posted on 7-17-2011 at 11:02 AM

I'll probably keep both and suck up the price increase. Redbox has been using this to their advantage, I've gotten emails or texts almost everyother day about free DVDs, to bad their selection blows in comparison.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-17-2011 at 11:28 AM

I'm really looking to eliminate some other stuff... like FIOS. I'm going to go check out Verizon Wireless' 4G LTE thing, and probably this new Best Buy Connect WiMax service. My house is allegedly in the middle of a 4G zone on their network. I want to see if I can get a rep to actually come to my house and see if the network connects like it should and what the speed is.

Spoiler
Posting Freak

Mood: All that scene philosophy never meant a goddamned thing to me

[*] posted on 7-17-2011 at 04:03 PM

After the new season of Curb your Enthusiasm is done....I'm really considering doing away with my cable all together. Maybe just keep the basic. There is only a few channels I watch anyhows. Then I'll try this netflix streaming thing.I have Netflix,but I only use the DVD part of it right now. Time warner Cable is just way to damn high.

ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-17-2011 at 05:39 PM

gonna have to cancel.

Good punk/HC/oi shows coming up. Check out http://myspace.com/refuseresistband
DAK
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-17-2011 at 07:11 PM

I'll cancel the streaming.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 12:34 AM

This is what you'll start seeing instead. Monopoly ISP's like Shaw/Bell/Rogers in Canada launching their own service, with the added benefit of having it unmetered. Free download, not counted to your monthly quotas.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2011/07/15/technolog...

Since Comcast is a content provider along with an ISP I imagine they'll launch a similar service too.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 08:40 AM

I think Comcast already has shares in Netflix and Hulu...

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 09:25 AM

does every provider have streaming / downloading / upload limits?

I use torrents regularly, and stream nexflix / hulu/ others like a mofo for years and have never received a notice / warning
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 01:05 PM

I never had any problems.

I just switched from Verizon FIOS to Comcast Xfinity internet today. No cable anymore. Now I'm at $20/month for web.

Now I'll get my Xbox Live Gold membership squared away and I should be pretty well set. Picked up an inexpensive HDTV antenna for my tv yesterday and I have to fiddle with it a bit to pick up local channels.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 05:22 PM

a 60% increase definitely blows, but it's still a good deal. the realy could have timed the announcement better, though. i only use streaming about once a month, so i'm considering going to just discs - the selection is better and i'm a sucker for the blueray quality.

of course, if hbogo was available to non-hbo subscribers, i'd probably go with that by itself!

dave, mq - i've never had bandwidth issues with comcast. have you guys tried the xfinity app? stream entire on-demand library over wifi.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 06:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MQ74  
does every provider have streaming / downloading / upload limits?

I use torrents regularly, and stream nexflix / hulu/ others like a mofo for years and have never received a notice / warning

These days they all pretty much do. From the 90's and early 00's the networks were abused with peer to peer downloading etc and high usage, so instead of investing money they put limits on instead and also pushing to throttle various protocols directly, instead of investing.

While North America has been going backwards Australia has been playing catch up and there's unlimited ADSL2+ from $30/month and 1TB plans with all the main providers.

I just get torrents. Even the legal stuff is like TV & cinema here, months behind.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 04:45 PM

wow, first the price hike, now an awkward apology and a company split. awkward.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/18/netflix-qwikster/

i've decided i'm going to hurry up and watch the few things i have on my streaming list, then go disc only...with whatever the new company is called.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 06:35 PM

I may drop disc, stick with streaming and switch to Blockbuster's mailer service. They don't charge extra for Blu-Ray, and they also don't charge extra for games. Which it seems is what Qwikster is going to do. Also, $14.99/mo for 2 DVD, Blu-Ray and games at a time with Blockbuster. They just don't seem to have as wide a selection.

XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 07:15 PM

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=quickster

Quickster

Definition: Being able to get girls in the sack quick.
Example: Did you see that quickster in action? It only took him 5 minutes to get that girl to his bedroom.

:P

CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 09:13 PM

$16 is still a great deal in my opinion. The increase is large as a percentage but still, it's only $16
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top