Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I only fell once...damn this forum is dead.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 06:12 PM
I only fell once...damn this forum is dead.

First day using clipless pedals on my bike (cleats on the bottom of your shoe lock your feet to the pedals)...

...and only toppled over one time in three hours of riding. With my less than epic levels of dexterity that's almost ballet like.

Anyone doing anything this summer? Took up cycling late spring and have to say it's pretty addictive, much more interesting than cardio at the gym, which was boring me to death. Putting 120 to 150 miles a week on the bike in 20 to 30 mile increments.

Nothing special just a solid mid/low tier commuter bike.
Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 12:00 PM

I've still never tried the clip in pedals. I'm trying to do a lot more actual mountain biking this summer, rather than just riding mine on roads like usual

record collectors are pretentious assholes
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 02:03 PM

They're not bad once you get somewhat used to clipping out or preparing to clip out before you do things...stops, traffic etc etc. There was a massively noticeable difference though using them...a 2 hr ride that normally would wear me down...was still going @ 3 hrs.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-8-2011 at 11:22 AM

i started riding again this spring and have been loving it. i try to get out at least twice a week, but have been mostly sticking to parks and rails to trails type routes (ie: flat!). i think the most i've done on one ride is about 12 miles. i've been riding he same sticker-covered diamond back since 1993.

i'd love to get a set of clips but i'm trying to keep the wallet shut at the moment. how much did the clips and shoes run you? do you find them much more efficient than toe clips?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-8-2011 at 12:57 PM

I got them both off Amazon. Shoes were $80 and pedals were $60.

I'd been trying to find a pair of good shoes and got some Pearl iZUMi x-road cycling shoes...figured they'd be good all around since I was trying to ride using my K-Swiss tubes I wear to the gym and those things had no support on the pedals...it was like riding barefoot. I'd actually been wearing a pair of sandles w/ hard bottoms...but I needed something before the weather changes. Those things were slipping all over on the shitty resin pedals that came on the bike so I figured I'd just bite the bullet and get clipless pedals. That or not wear the $80 shoes I just bought...

I never tried toe clips but there is a huge difference between these and not having them. Now I just need to stay upright lol.

Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 07:58 AM

I have a bike that i should start riding again.... i used to be into the rail/trails too. toss the bike in the car drive to the trail and ride. been a few years now.
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 9-29-2011 at 09:40 PM

I would love to get a bike but then my dog doesn't get the exercise he needs. I know I'll get one eventually. When I do, it is coming from a pawn shop. Always wanted to buy a pawn shop bike
mattybar

[*] posted on 11-22-2011 at 11:20 AM

lack of money and working overtime have prevented from doing Krav Maga for two months so i cut off the direct debit.

just hitting the gym now every day (routine is monday: weights, tuesday: boxing (bag work + pads), wednesday: kettlebells, thursday: rest/swim or running, friday: weights or boxing (sparring) if anyone else vaguely near my weight is around.

kettlebells really are brutal. i've been doing this one hour class once a week for a couple of months and i swear it never gets any easier and this is just using the the 12kg kettlebell.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-27-2012 at 10:48 PM

The view total on this thread is hilarious.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-29-2012 at 02:28 PM

It's like people were hoping to see you busted up from falling.

Go To Top