Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: London riots
M.Alki

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 03:55 PM
London riots

Just curious how much coverage this is getting in the US and if they are actually explaining how totally fucked and insane things are here right now? I spoke to one friend over there on Sunday and he knew nothing about it.
jcarter

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 03:58 PM

What I've heard so far is that it started because of an immigrant being shot and killed by the police.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 04:00 PM

first I'm hearing about it
sentrand
Posting Freak

Mood: hate riot 513,sheer terror, yuppicide, joe coffee

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MQ74  
first I'm hearing about it

I'm a jerk. All night,I'm seeing Sentrand and thinking "Where do I know that guy from?".
ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 04:16 PM

Like LA during the Rodney King riots. Seeing the Sony fires were insane.

Stay safe.

Good punk/HC/oi shows coming up. Check out http://myspace.com/refuseresistband
M.Alki

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 04:41 PM

He was not an immigrant as far as I am aware but I really don't see why that is even relevant?

A man was shot dead by the police last Thursday.
He was apparently a known criminal and was under surveilance by armed police.

There was a peaceful protest planned for Saturday by his family and friends who felt they were left
in the dark over what happened and did not agree with what happened and the way it was dealt with.
This escalated and turned into a full blown riot in that area (Tottenham in North London),
stores being looted and set on fire and so on.

It has continued all over London and now in various places across the UK
(Birmingham, Liverpool, Bristol, Leeds to name a few)
Peoples homes and businesses are being burnt down, people are being robbed and attacked all over the place.
The whole city is pretty much on lockdown right now.
A lot of this stuff is going on right inbetween my house and Mattybars, down the road from me a fire engine trying to put out one of the fires was petrol bombed.
A woman was dragged out of her car and it was set alight.
I can't even begin to explain the half of what is going on here right now.
Most of the people doing all of this are under the age of 23, the youngest reported being 7 years old.
And I would put money on it that over half these people don't even know Mark Duggan's name or what happened, it's just greedy people being opportunistic.
M.Alki

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 04:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ShawnRefuse  
Like LA during the Rodney King riots. Seeing the Sony fires were insane.

Stay safe.

Yeah the Sony one, a huge furniture store in Croydon and a big building in Tottenham have probably been the worst fires so far in all this.
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 04:53 PM

I'm obviously not in the US, but I heard about it today. One of my coworkers is fascinated by it.

Quote: Originally posted by M.Alki  

A man was shot dead by the police last Thursday.
He was apparently a known criminal and was under surveilance by armed police.

As far as I've read, he wasn't an immigrant. Police pulled over a cab he was riding in to arrest him, and he ended up getting shot. He also had a gun on him, which seemed to be some sort of replica or non-firing gun that was modified to be fully functional. Allegations about him having gang ties and being a drug dealer.

And I would put money on it that over half these people don't even know Mark Duggan's name or what happened, it's just greedy people being opportunistic.

This. From what I've read, this is more about criminals using a legitimate gripe as an excuse to be thuggish criminals. All the coverage focusing on the oppressed poor seems to be bullshit, since the oppressed poor are the main targets of the rioting and looting.

I read a comment on another website a bit ago that apparently the locals in some places are sick of this shit and are organizing to fight against the rioters, and now the police are having to separate the two mobs in some areas. Not sure if it's true or not.

M., hope you and matty manage to stay safe.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 04:58 PM

According to wikipedia there've been over 300+ police shootings since 1998 and not one charge laid against a cop.

Shit's been all over the news in Australia, top headlines every day.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
mattybar

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 04:59 PM

Last night was actually scary.
You could hear a crazy amount of police sirens and helicopters all night.
I was up til 2:30 watching shit on the news that was happening in three or four different locations all like ten minutes from here.
Tonight there's a lot less people on the streets but the you can still hear mad sirens every few minutes.
I think it's mainly up north it's kicking off now.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 05:02 PM

Read a story about it earlier today, which was the first I heard about. Sounds like things are really fucked up.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
jcarter

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 05:40 PM

He was not an immigrant as far as I am aware but I really don't see why that is even relevant?

It's relevant because you asked what people had heard and so I told you what I heard. Nonetheless, you guys stay safe over there.

M.Alki

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 06:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jcarter  

It's relevant because you asked what people had heard and so I told you what I heard. Nonetheless, you guys stay safe over there.

I mean whether he was an immigrant or not, I just find it weird that any report would feel the need to point that out even if it was the case. Not questioning the relevance of what you personally were saying.
M.Alki

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 06:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by random  

I read a comment on another website a bit ago that apparently the locals in some places are sick of this shit and are organizing to fight against the rioters, and now the police are having to separate the two mobs in some areas. Not sure if it's true or not.

M., hope you and matty manage to stay safe.

In east London where a load of this went down on Monday, it is highly populated by Turkish people who have a Turkish mafia-esque community.
They started guarding their businesses with baseball bats and fighting back and from what I gather it seemed to work.
One of my friends went to get lunch today and everywhere on the street nearby was closed except a kebab shop, my friend asked the guys who own the place why they had not shut like everywhere else, owner pulled out 2 massive knives and replied 'because I need more meat!', one way of dealing with it I guess!
jcarter

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 06:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jcarter  

I mean whether he was an immigrant or not, I just find it weird that any report would feel the need to point that out even if it was the case. Not questioning the relevance of what you personally were saying.

Chances are it makes for more sensational news. Steer clear of the Kebab shop, you don't want to get caught in the middle of THAT mess!

M.Alki

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 06:55 PM

If anyone is interested, tune in to
http://www.eastvillageradio.co​m/content/content.php?i...
at 9pm ET where I have been asked to briefly have a chat with Cuz about everything that's going on here.
BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 08:37 PM

Dude who got shot dead got what he deserved.

The riots are a farce, nothing but assholes destroying peoples lives and lively hoods. I hope they all end up dead and face down with a bullet in their bitch heads.

BKT.

Johnny_Whistle

Mood: the voices

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 09:35 PM

None of the stories I've seen have really gotten into the reason/excuse for the rioting, other than to mention that police shot someone. I have no idea about the circumstances of the shooting, although I read something today about a report that there was no evidence that the shootee had fired or attempted to fire at police. I don't know anything about him.

http://www.facebook.com/johncurtinmusic

"Making people laugh is the lowest form of comedy"
-Michael O'Donnohue
MattyA

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 11:40 PM

Messed up shit happening, you guys stay safe.
morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 8-10-2011 at 02:25 AM

I had heard that there were riots going on. Never heard a rhyme or reason behind it. Y'all stay safe.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-10-2011 at 08:44 AM

I will have to ask my fake Facebook wife about this.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-10-2011 at 10:05 AM
melted wax!

PIAS warehouse destroyed in London Riots
http://thefourohfive.com/news/article/pias-warehouse-destroy...

http://www.punknews.org/article/43849

The ongoing riots in London led to a fire destroying the Sony DADC warehouse in the London borough of Enfield. The building held stock for PIAS, the largest indie distributor in the UK and distro for labels like Beggars, Domino, Drag City, Drive-Thru Records, Fat Cat Records, Nuclear Blast , Rough Trade, Secretly Canadian , Jagjaguwar, Side One Dummy Records, Touch and Go Records, Vagrant Records, Vice Records, Victory Records, Xtra Mile and many more.

Frank Turner commented on the riots and the PIAS destruction via his Twitter:
If your "revolution" involves my friends n family bring attacked in their homes, then fuck yr "revolution", fuck it right in the ear. Mind-blowingly, some people seem to be trying to justify any of this. People saying they burnt down PIAS, UK indie distributor. Oh well, there goes independent labels. Fuck.

The ongoing London riots began August 6th, 2011 following the fatal shooting of a 29-year-old civilian, Mark Duggan, by members of the Metropolitan Police Service. A march by some 200 people in Tottenham became violent and descended into rioting.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 8-10-2011 at 09:07 PM

Guns are illegal in London right?

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
mattybar

[*] posted on 8-11-2011 at 04:34 AM

yes, unless you're a policeman.
or you live in the sticks and own a farm so need a shotgun or something.
definitely illegal in the city though.

it's calm in London now, probably something to do with the 16000 police in the city.
Shit is kinda out of control up north though, I saw an interview with some guy in Wolverhampton and he was looting because of eastern Europeans supposedly "taking our jobs"....

just shows how totally ridiculous the whole thing is. nobody even knows what they're doing anymore. it's all "well.. i'm pissed off about x, y and z so.... i'm gonna steal a tv!"
mattybar

[*] posted on 8-11-2011 at 02:32 PM

something to think about

http://youtu.be/Zmo8DG1gno4
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top