Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I miss... (unpopular opinions about hardcore)
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 11:23 AM
I miss... (unpopular opinions about hardcore)

I know that most people will probably feel the opposite way, but I miss when hardcore was NOT dangerous. I miss being able to go to a show and not wondering if I'm standing in the wrong spot or wearing the wrong bands shirt and if I'm gonna get beat up or threatened over it.

I remember going to shows at Club Baby Head and being excited and anxious and maybe worried about catching an elbow in the pit, but I wasnt worried about knifes, brass knuckles or just getting beat up. Maybe I was just to dumb to know I might get beat up then, I dont know.

I know the main problem is that I'm a pussy, but I cant help it. I'm a lover, not a fighter!

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
Johnny_Whistle

Mood: the voices

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 11:44 AM

Babyhead (and Providence in General) always seemed sort of unique to me in that sense. I didn't hang out in Boston too much in the old days, even though I played drums in a Boston HC band. Not because of the bands, but because of some of the boneheads that showed up at the shows. That's why I loved the Rocket/Babyhead and the Living Room and Lupo's. I usually only went to boston if someone I really wanted to see was playing the Channel or something, or my band had a gig. This was late 80's/early 90's. Sad to see that mentality still infects the scene.

http://www.facebook.com/johncurtinmusic

"Making people laugh is the lowest form of comedy"
-Michael O'Donnohue
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 11:49 AM

what band did you play for Johnny? I'm sure its been said, but I dont remember.

Quote:
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 11:51 AM

I go to few and far between shows anymore just for the fact that I hate being in large crowds of people.
having those large crowds being populated by sweaty meatheads 50% of the time or better just adds to it.
I generally hate people.
Shit, I don't even like movie theatres if I have to sit too close to others.
They have a name for that.
dopeaphobia perhaps.

not somuch fear, just indifference.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 12:14 PM

I hate HC shows because people always get my sneaks dirty.
Johnny_Whistle

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 12:47 PM

I was in a couple of bands, most of which did nothing much really. The only band I was in that had any notoriety at all was Suckerpunch. I wasn't the original drummer, but I was there for the last three or so years of the band. Scott O'Dowd, who later played with Bastard Squad and Fast actin' Fuses (and I can't remember his current band's name) was our guitar player. Kevin Borowski (also later of Fast Actin' Fuses, now owner of Iron Hand Tattoo in Cranston) was our singer. Our last bass player, Mutt, now tours with Angry Samoans. I, of course, am now the Tin Whistle King of New England Punk Rock.

-Michael O'Donnohue
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 01:27 PM

The economy and job market destroyed hardcore shows in my town. Most everyone who has a job is working like dogs just to make ends, no one has time or cash to see a show and those without dont have the funds at all. I'd love to make more shows but too much stuff is in the way.

I assume that it has everyhting to do with shows now a days. Everyone is pissed and the only ones showing up have the SLAYER FAN MENTALITY. Go to a show and get shitfaced or is straightedge to get full-on hyped up to beat ass. Karate chops and all that. In January SOIA played a small ass club with a skate ramp in it. It was pathetic. SOIA killed it hough.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 02:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MQ74  
I go to few and far between shows anymore just for the fact that I hate being in large crowds of people.
having those large crowds being populated by sweaty meatheads 50% of the time or better just adds to it.
I generally hate people.
Shit, I don't even like movie theatres if I have to sit too close to others.
They have a name for that.
dopeaphobia perhaps.

Describes me very well. I think I've gone to maybe four shows in the last two years.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Johnny_Whistle

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 03:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MQ74  

This right here. I don't start violence, ever. And by and large, I try to avoid it when possible. I'm no tough guy by any stretch of the imagination, and I have zero interest in proving how hardcore I am. I started going to shows again recently because I realized that I'm missing out on seeing some really great bands, but I get bored and annoyed with dickheads who want to show just how badass they are by throwing their elbows and fists around. I just wanna watch the show, jackass.

-Michael O'Donnohue
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 03:49 PM

I dont even care about 'tough guys' in the pit really. Its just a general uneasy feeling I get at shows now a days. Maybe its just me or maybe I'm paranoid... I'm not sure. Its like a feeling of impending doom hovering over head!

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

Mickey

Mood: Wisdom In Chains

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 05:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX  
I dont even care about 'tough guys' in the pit really. Its just a general uneasy feeling I get at shows now a days. Maybe its just me or maybe I'm paranoid... I'm not sure. Its like a feeling of impending doom hovering over head!
I think shows are a lot more tamer than they were years ago. I remember feeling like that at most shows I went to, and I kinda fed off the nervous energy in the crowd. Sometimes when I left a show it felt like I survived something and wanted to do it again. Shows now seem tame with choreographed aerobic mosh parts, and the big fuck you horse shoe. I can't even tell ya the last time I saw a fight at a show.

I'm ok with people not liking me
Mickey

Mood: Wisdom In Chains

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 05:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Whistle  
I was in a couple of bands, most of which did nothing much really. The only band I was in that had any notoriety at all was Suckerpunch. I wasn't the original drummer, but I was there for the last three or so years of the band. Scott O'Dowd, who later played with Bastard Squad and Fast actin' Fuses (and I can't remember his current band's name) was our guitar player. Kevin Borowski (also later of Fast Actin' Fuses, now owner of Iron Hand Tattoo in Cranston) was our singer. Our last bass player, Mutt, now tours with Angry Samoans. I, of course, am now the Tin Whistle King of New England Punk Rock.
Jeff Farmer and Ski were a big influence to a young group of "meatheads" coming up around that time.

I'm ok with people not liking me
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 08:31 PM

I miss the late 90's and early 00's. The bands, the shows, all of it. The bands mostly suck now, music got bad in the past decade, its either the same old shit done really bad or just plain sucks. There's only a few newer bands I've listened to and actually enjoyed. And the few shows I have gone to see were full of dildos, the merch is worse than it used to be and it cost too damn much.

I couldn't name a single local band now, hell I don't even think I can name 1 Australian hardcore band at all. I used to be on top of Niagara and Toronto bands all the time, and when we were first in Adelaide the scene in Australia was insanely good. Now it just blows, everywhere. All these fucking hipsters and people being "ironic" or whatever, fuck off.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 09:40 PM

the bumfuck town I live in used to get anywhere form 5-maybe 30 people (tops) at local/area shows, now theres no bands, but anyway, going to shows in the cities I'd have to say I'm glad I've only seen a handful with episodes of mindless violence. Honestly, as many cool people are attracted to the hc/punk scene, there's a fuckton of retards who just wanna fuck shit up at shows, whether it's fucking up the venue or their peers. Fuck those people

record collectors are pretentious assholes
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 10:11 PM

In my town we barely got national acts to come through. I miss those days waiting for the bands to hit the stage. I would call ahead to make sure they showed just so I wouldn't get too excited and be let down I guess.

I miss the nervous energy mentioned above. At any moment a riot could start. I loved that. In all the shows I have been to, I was by myself at 98% of them. None of my friends liked this kind of music. I thought that was cool to a degree but also sucked that I had no one to really talk to. When I drank, I would just drink a shit load at shows and go nuts. It was awesome.

Then I got old, married and had kids. It would be detrimental to my job if I show up with a shiner. I play hockey every week so I feel like I'm tempting fate as it is. I might hit up one show a year.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 9-7-2011 at 10:54 PM

Yeah all my shows I went alone, I think I travelled with friends to a show 2-3 times total. I'd see people there I knew and talked a few minutes but that was it. Never had any of the violence or fear in shows around Toronto or St Catharines/Welland.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-8-2011 at 12:53 PM

I miss giving a damn, and thinking that going to shows is worthwhile. I mean, it's not so much that I don't like the music or the kids... I actually like some newer bands, and while the kids annoy me or the thugs put me off for fear of unneeded violence that is more over the top than ever necessary... it's just that I would much rather spend my evenings at home with my kids. I can rock a hardcore record, not blow out my ears because the sound system is so loud and the bass hits so hard that my ears ring for days afterward. I can not get hit in the balls. And I can not get into a fight or witness a fight that might end up with somebody stabbed or whatever else. I can also not have to deal with 16 year olds who think they are the hardest thing on the planet.

I also save myself a good deal of money and time that way. I have other responsibilities that sort of take me out of that environment. If I go to a show chances are I'll be out super late, and on top of it I won't be able to spend the evening with my wife after the kids are in bed, I'll most likely be late for my evening and night prayers. There's just too much bullshit. And I don't have any friends anymore that go to shows. And going to shows alone has never been fun for me. Either someone is carpooling with me, or I'm meeting up with somebody at the show, that's the way I've always rolled. I don't know anyone, especially since I moved to the Philly area, and that's instantly a negative incentive to go to shows for me.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-8-2011 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaveMoral  
And I don't have any friends anymore that go to shows.

HEY!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-8-2011 at 04:34 PM

Alright, there's one! Haha.

Mostly I'm lazy and would rather be at home than in some hole in the wall getting my ears blown out... I really need to wear earplugs when I do go to these things.

Fests are a good bet for me when I can afford them. More bang for my buck. And that's kind of weird. Is it just me or is it kind of bizarre that there are so many fests these days? Is it necessary to have 2 major hardcore fests in Eastern PA every summer?

sippers

Mood: face value-the price of maturity

[*] posted on 9-8-2011 at 07:24 PM

Kids these days don't instill fear in me,and it's hard to take them serious when I see them dance..A pack Of Skins in the late 80's in the pit now that instills some fear...

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 05:14 AM

I totally get what everyones saying and when I started going to shows (late 80's) I was afraid of the pit, but thats all I was afraid of. If I was in the back or on the side of the room I wasnt 'afraid' and I knew if I wanted to be up front or near the pit there was a chance I was gonna get hit, maybe by someone I knew... maybe by someone on purpose, but I knew I was taking my chances. The 'fear' I'm taking about now is just a general uneasyness overall while being at shows. Maybe its just me.... oh well.

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

MikeFromInhuman
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 07:48 AM

Now hear this: in my 23 years of HC, the safest time ever for shows = NOW/THE LAST 3 YEARS.

Dangerous? Not at all.

JUICE MAYNE MSHC

Mood: new CF songs

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 03:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MikeFromInhuman  
Now hear this: in my 23 years of HC, the safest time ever for shows = NOW/THE LAST 3 YEARS.

Dangerous? Not at all.

I gotta agree with this. A lot of the scary people from years past are kind of "retired" for a lack of a better word. If they do come out, it's to hang out and drink and that's really about it.

Go To Top