Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: GBH
Ungodly

Mood: Useless office speech

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 02:41 PM
GBH

Anyone else here into them? Not hate them at least?

Lots of HC kids like Discharge, but GBH and the English Dogs, while of course they are not quite at the level of Discharge, are awesome too and never talked about.

I'm going to see them tonight. Since they have been coming to the states again (they never really broke up from what I understand), they have always put on a great show.

I saw them once outside of Manchester in England and it was not their best but still decent- the guitar player was wasted and unsuccessfully put his foot on a monitor and fell flat on his face, getting knocked out cold and busting his lip. 15 minutes later he staggered back and finished the set. Everyone we talked to at the show was really cool- they were mostly older lifer punks and it was neat b/c the 14 year-olds looked awkward like real 14-year-olds and didn't have perfect mowhawks or (dudes) try to look like glam-trash women like lots of "punx" do in Boston. At the end we met Colin and his first words to us were "Do you have any drugs?"

Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.

www.myspace.com/metal_mary
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 02:58 PM

GBH are fuckin amazing.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 07:58 PM

all the clay era stuff is great, they put out some horrible shit though. last album i had was church of the truly warped. garbage.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
Dan of Pain

Mood: send more paramedics

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 08:06 AM

wicked band, but yeah, like brian says the done some shit stuff.

we are hopefully gonna be on the bill when they play folkestone uk in august.

fuck it up.
Ungodly

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 09:13 AM

I totally agree about the post-Clay era stuff, yuck.

The shows was great, considering. They played only a few, like maybe only 2, newer songs, in a very long set. They had a different drummer and they were a little off, but still better than a lot of bands on a good day. Very tiny crowd and it was in a club where the staff was so uptight about everything and it was billed as 18+ (most of the kids into that kind of punk here now are way young). I love when bands don't just get bummed about that and make the best of it anyway, or are simply happy to play for the few psyched people that are there, and that's what they did. Colin was cracking jokes the whole time. He gave some kid his pick of their merch b/c he was the only one there with an up mohawk.

I don't know why they never play Christianized Cannibals, which I think is easily their best song. It has so many syllables, it's hard to yell out, too.

Thats Life

Mood: Integrity

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 09:41 AM

what i've heard by them surpasses discharge. Though im really not a discharge fan.
Ungodly

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Thats Life
what i've heard by them surpasses discharge. Though im really not a discharge fan.

A lot of people don't get Discharge. I'll try to spell it out for you. They are perfect and at the same time very unique (not including subesquent attempts at imitation). They are like certain works of modern art in that the foundations of the songs are SO simple but are brilliant and memorable riffs. But then on top of it you have d-beats and well placed, clever drum fills and ridiculous improvisation on both bass and guitar. But it doesn't sound like noodling because the mix and the distortion are in perfect balance. Because all of these things come together so perfectly, they are pretty much impossible to imitate. As much as I love this band, I cringe whenever they are covered.

Plus the lyrics are so Cold War, which hits me in the gut because it reminds me what it was like int he 70s and 80s when nuclear war was much more present in everyone's mind, and also that the threat isn't really gone. I.e., it seems dated but then you immeditaly realize, woah, this still really applies, doesn't it?

Thats Life

Mood: Integrity

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 11:37 AM

i'll just listen to the cro-mags demo.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 02:25 PM

GBH-

great band and a great show. One of the first to get me into hardcore. LOVE THIS BAND

Go To Top