Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Spotify Question
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 11-17-2011 at 07:55 AM
Spotify Question

I'm in my 30 day free trial of Spotify. I had to sign up for the $10 a month because its blocked on my work computer so I'm using the mobile one on my phone.

I was wondering if anyone else has found that some bands they searched for are not on there at all.

I was looking for Pink Floyd yesterday and there was none. Then last night I was showing it to my dad and searched for Jimmy Buffet and there was none. This morning I looked for the Beatles and there was none.

Theres LOTS of awesome stuff, but I was surprised that there was none of those 3 bands.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-17-2011 at 10:02 AM

spotify isn't going to have EVERYTHING and there have been some high profile abstainers. kinda like it took the beatles forever to get on iTunes.

also, lots of indies are pulling their content because spotify doesn't really pay anything. most streaming services pay fractions of a cent per stream. at least that's something. spotify pays pro-rata based on advertising, which equals absolutely nothing.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-17-2011 at 10:02 AM

Century Media pulls out of Spotify
http://www.punknews.org/article/43850

Prosthetic pulls catalog from Spotify
http://www.punknews.org/article/44418

Another label leaves Spotify
http://www.punknews.org/article/45174

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 11-17-2011 at 10:13 AM

that blows... good thing theres no contract if I sign up and I'm still in the free trial.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-17-2011 at 01:18 PM

Maybe it's me but I don't really understand these online radio stations. I have like 100 gigs of music on my iPod....why would I want to bother with streaming and fees and advertising?
JUICE MAYNE MSHC

Mood: new CF songs

[*] posted on 11-17-2011 at 02:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  
Maybe it's me but I don't really understand these online radio stations. I have like 100 gigs of music on my iPod....why would I want to bother with streaming and fees and advertising?

I also have an extensive music collection but I do use Spotify for discovering new music and listening to stuff I don't necessarily want to buy.

For instance someone asked me if I heard Duff from Guns N Roses' new record, I hadn't, so I listened to it on Spotify. I got more than the 90 second previews that iTunes provides and I didn't have to bother finding, downloading, unzipping, then loading the album in iTunes, then deleting it after I'm done with it.

Other than that I have one of those friends who is constantly sending me shit to listen to on Facebook and text message and fuckin Youtube. He's on Spotify and can just share all that shit with me and it shows up in my inbox and I can play it right there.

Overall it's not going to replace iTunes for me but I do enjoy it.

random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-17-2011 at 08:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  

I may be wrong, but Spotify isn't really online radio. You can stream full albums, just like you probably do on an iPod.

You can pay for a premium service where you can add a set amount of music to an iPod, and it stays there for a few days, even when you're offline. This lets you take a large but limited amount of Spotify's catalog with you. If you have a smaller mp3 player that won't hold a full music collection, you can easily switch up the music on there on a regular basis.

Advertising is, I think, only for the free version.

Spotify seems like a good deal if you listen to anything remotely popular and don't just download everything for free. You pay a small fee which supports labels/bands, have access to everything you want (and much more), and don't have to have a terabyte hard drive to store your music collection.

I've been surprised for a while that nobody has done something similar for smaller labels, especially targeting subscriptions to specific genres. Something in between Stereokiller and Bandcamp, where there's a subscription fee and offline access. There'd be a lot less revenue, but it would be targeted to consumers and shared among the relevant bands/labels. I'd be willing to pay $5-10 a month for access to just a few labels' catalogs without carrying all that shit on an iPod... GMM, Thorp/SGR, and toss in something similar. Could do something where you can buy label catalogs for set prices or "premium packages" with more access (just bundling a bunch of labels for a discount price, like some cable TV packages). Most labels are genre-specific, so it shouldn't be hard to split them up in sensible ways (emo, pop punk, street punk / oi, hardcore, metalcore, etc).

The obvious key to something like this is keeping a low enough price that people are willing to pay instead of download for free but high enough that labels/bands see a benefit for participating. That would also be a nice middle-ground where consumers get exposed to bands that they won't pay for a full album from but still pay more than the total price of the albums they would buy (which is only sustainable for so long... you might buy 4 albums at $10 from a label, but you won't likely buy the fifth, but you'd probably pay $5 a month for a year giving the label $60).

Oh yeah, I should add that I don't care about physical CDs any more and hate paying exorbitant shipping fees.

The other option I see for labels in the future is to package the music with something else people care about so that they get something beyond the digital album, which they can download for free. Thorp/SGR is good about this with the bundles on new releases, but I'm also thinking of things like mini-books in place of CD inserts, that kind of shit... something that is cool to keep around the house, but not a massive inconvenience... but still enough to get you to pay for the music. A Burning Streets glass candle-holder thing like you get with saints (http://www.saintlycandles.com/product/SC0408), a Welch Boys beer steing, a PowerPoint(TM) laser pointer and coffee mug combo... each with a digital download and for the normal price of a CD.

Yeah, it's late, and I'm rambling. On the bright side, it's still semi-coherent rambling.

Now, all we need is the computer genius to program all this shit. :)

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 05:53 PM

Armageddon for Spotify? Not yet

Some recent headlines about Spotify and other music subscription services make it sound like Armageddon.

But it's not, or not yet at least.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-57327921-261/spotify-sees-...

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 01:38 PM

200+ labels pull content from streaming services
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/11/200-labels-withdraw-t...

Go To Top