Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Hobbit Trailer
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-20-2011 at 11:36 PM
Hobbit Trailer

http://trailers.apple.com/movies/wb/thehobbit1/thehobbit-tlr...

can not wait.
sentrand
Posting Freak

Mood: hate riot 513,sheer terror, yuppicide, joe coffee

[*] posted on 12-21-2011 at 07:59 AM

damn thats a long wait!

I'm a jerk. All night,I'm seeing Sentrand and thinking "Where do I know that guy from?".
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-21-2011 at 01:26 PM

i re-read the whole lot before the las three were released; looks like i'll have to re-read that first book again.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-21-2011 at 01:50 PM

It's a quick read...I recently re-read it out of boredom and not feeling any of the other books I have piled up. Think I burnt through it in a weekend.

It will be interesting to see where they split the movies up. They're adding quite a bit of material from the appendices of LotR to fill in the blanks of what was happening every time Gandalf left all of them to fend for themselves throughout the story. Most notably the White Council casting the Necromancer from Dol Guldur, which in non geek speak means we should get to see a crazy wizard fight involving Gandalf, Saruman and Galadriel (among others) vs Sauron.

I'd imagine the first one will end shortly before they enter Mirkwood saving any reveal of Smaug until sometime in early '13. I know that Guillermo Del Toro was largely responsible for his design (way back when he was still directing) giving a nod to Vermithrax from Dragonslayer and saying Smaug HAD to be the movie dragon to end all movie dragons.

While 2 movies is obviously at least in part a cash grab I can't imagine better source material to grab "fluff" from.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-21-2011 at 01:58 PM

they're doing the hobbit as two movies? somehow i missed that. fine by me - one of the few franchises i'm genuinely interested in more from.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-21-2011 at 02:12 PM

Yep, First one The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is Dec '12 and The Hobbit: there and Back Again is Dec '13.

After those two I can't see them making any more movies, especially Jackson as these have basically taken 15 years of his life (and made him assloads of cash).

It's possible Children of Hurin could be adapted at some point but the only other "complete" book the Silmarillion is way to epic to even attempt.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-21-2011 at 11:11 PM

I am super stoker for this movie. It makes sense to do it in two films for no other reason than to make it ever more so a prequel to LOTR. If they didn't include the White Council stuff all that would connect it is Bilbo getting the One Ring in what is on the face of it just a small part of the tale that doesn't carry the weight that it actually has as a plot point fir LOTR.

The whole movie is shot in 3d, so that should be cool. I watched a video diary from Jackson today and he said he would have shot LOTR in 3d had it been manageable.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-22-2011 at 05:43 AM

Yeah its not only 3D but some crazy hi def film that is beyond human comprehension...mine anyway lol. So this isn;t going to be some Piranha 3D, but completely genre defining bar setting 3D ala Avatar.

The more I think about it...I really can't figure out where they'd split these two movies to give the 1st a climax...

You figure in the 2nd one...not only do they have all the shit with Smaug...but you also have the Battle of Five Armies, which you know PJ is going to completely blow his wad on if Helms Deep and Pelennor both set their respective benchmarks.

Maybe after they escape Mirkwood? But that would be a lot to pack in the first movie. I can't see the escape from Goblin Town or the wargs shortly after as a dramatic climax, but maybe they get beefed up.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-22-2011 at 09:07 AM

The escape from Goblin Town and the wargs makes sense. The rescue by the eagles would work. Plus, Bilbo has the ring at that point. That is going to be made a muchlarger story point than Tolkien originally made it.

Funny thing is how the tone is going to be pretty different from the book, which is after all a children's story. I think the movies will be more in line with LOTR.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-22-2011 at 09:14 AM

Yeah, plus after the eagles, Beorns place would be a nice start to pt 2.

There definitely will be a different tone, but I think it will also steer towards the Hobbit lighter fare too since it seems they're adding the songs in.

So stoked.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 12-22-2011 at 12:01 PM

I could never get into the LOTR books. Wasn't big on the movies either. I'll be passing on seeing The Hobbit.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-22-2011 at 01:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  
Yeah, plus after the eagles, Beorns place would be a nice start to pt 2.

There definitely will be a different tone, but I think it will also steer towards the Hobbit lighter fare too since it seems they're adding the songs in.

So stoked.

Man, I always loved the songs. I wish Tom Bombadil would have been in LOTR.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-22-2011 at 02:18 PM

It would have been interesting...but I don't know how that would have translated to the screen.

I think that's the one thing I'm glad he left out. He would have been the Middle Earth Jar-Jar.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-22-2011 at 03:55 PM

LOL!

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-30-2012 at 12:50 PM

Just confirmed, two movies have now become three.

I'm actually less concerned about this than the 2. Two movies was stretching the Hobbit storyline out by interweaving portions of the appendices. But, three means (since they cant really stretch the Hobbit itself out any further), means we're going to get a crap ton of the appendices on screen...which could mean anything from the rise of the Witch King to the War of Dwarves and Orcs. Geek squeel.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-30-2012 at 03:56 PM

Yeah, this is going to be crazy. I'm not familiar enough with the appendices but there has to be more with Bilbo than is in the book. I don t think they'll leave him aside for the third film. The question is how do they make it all flow together seamlessly.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 7-30-2012 at 04:13 PM

I saw this during the ICEAGE movie. I was not into ROTR movies, but this looks really cool.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-30-2012 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaveMoral  
Yeah, this is going to be crazy. I'm not familiar enough with the appendices but there has to be more with Bilbo than is in the book. I don t think they'll leave him aside for the third film. The question is how do they make it all flow together seamlessly.

They're saying that 1 is Dec 2012, 2 is Dec 2013 and 3 is Summer 2014....that kind of makes me think that 2 and 3 are going to be more of a split, with not a lot of changes to 1 as it currently stands.

After all...they're not going to be able to get too much filmed in the next 6 months and prepared for part 1 unless there's zero FX involved.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-1-2012 at 03:51 PM

Yeah.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-19-2012 at 12:40 PM

fuck. fuck. fuck.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-20-2012 at 05:56 PM

I'm stoked.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 9-20-2012 at 08:22 PM

Can someone put in chronological order of this story. I've never seen any of these or read the books. This movie looks really rad, much better than the LOTR series. Since I am a reading champ these days, I think I'd like to read up on them before this movie comes out next winter.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-21-2012 at 05:26 AM

It's just one book. The Hobbit.

There's 4 "complete" stories by Tolkien: The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, Children of Hurin and The Silmarillion. Then there is billions of pages of incomplete legends and smaller stories.

The Hobbit is essentially The Hobbit which is pretty short so they interwove the story with elements from the appendices of Lord of the Rings, one because it would give them filler for more movies and two...because Tolkiens "filler" is better than everyone elses non filler. Events in The Hobbit and the LOTR appendices lead up to Lord of the Rings, so essentially in the end you're going to have a 6 movie series telling one complete story between all 3 Hobbit movies and all three LotR.

Children of Hurin and the Silmarillion are essentially the "greek mythology" of Tolkiens universe...to all the obscure references to ages past in TH and LOTR are basically fleshed out in there. So those would chronologically be prior to TH and LOTR...but I wouldn't recommend them unless you're really in love with the other books. Children is the easier read of the two.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-21-2012 at 12:35 PM

nice. i'm a fan of Martin Freeman from love actually and sherlock. he's kinda quirky, which could be funny. as in the trailer when he has that exchange w/ gollum.

clevo, read the hobbit. it's only one book. if you like it, move on to the three books that make up the lord of the rings.

i never red children or silmarillion. i tried once as a kid and was wholly confused.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-21-2012 at 12:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BDx13  
nice. i'm a fan of Martin Freeman from love actually and sherlock. he's kinda quirky, which could be funny. as in the trailer when he has that exchange w/ gollum.

clevo, read the hobbit. it's only one book. if you like it, move on to the three books that make up the lord of the rings.

i never red children or silmarillion. i tried once as a kid and was wholly confused.

Silmarillion is a very difficult read.

Children is one of the stories fleshed out from the Silmarillion. Christopher Tolkien essentially had enough extra material and notes to expand on the story enough to make it a novel, its between the Hobbit and LOTR as far as reading difficulty...it's short and very dark, probably Tolkiens darkest work.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top