Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Hobbit Trailer
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 12:06 AM

some interesting comments here.

initial review:
http://news.yahoo.com/review-hobbit-suffers-story-bloat-2131...

about the experience of the doubled frame rate:
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/warning-hobbit-may-...

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 06:19 AM

Yeah it's been getting mixed reviews, not surprising, its a different tone than LotR which is the last thing on the average persons mind and appendices or not the story is stretched thin to make 3 movies. So at least one of the movies would have to suffer from some degree of filler to flesh out the others. Hopefully thats not the case with all of them.

I'd go see it regardless though, cant wait. The 48FPS is actually playing in surprisingly few theaters so I think that's less of an issue than some of these articles are making it out to be...but if that's the direction of things to come...
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 08:50 AM

If 48fps is that big of a different it just means they are probably going to have to do a ton more location or green screen shoots, and work it out so make up is less obvious.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 08:54 PM

i plan to seek out the 48 fps.
don;t care how drawn out it is - i'm anxious to see the story on the big screen.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-8-2012 at 02:44 PM

From what it sounds like the 48 FPS is making things seem more "made for TV" feeling in reference to set details.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-9-2012 at 01:22 PM

list of 48fps theaters:
http://www.48fpsmovies.com/48-fps-theater-list/

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-9-2012 at 03:14 PM

I'll probably go check it out at KOP in IMAX. I'm assuming IMAX will be strictly 3D, which I'm not sure I want to do.... but I intend to see this movie again Xmas week, and I'll be in Indiana so it'll probably be 24fps and 2D. Hopefully I'll be able to swing a 3rd time too.

I didn't even do multiple viewings for The Avengers or The Dark Knight Rises... so that's something. Let alone Star Wars Episode I 3D... which, while the second weakest of the 6 movies, is odd for me. BTW, next fall Star Wars 3D continues with Episode II and 2 weeks later Episode III. So hopefully the original trilogy will be in theaters in 2014.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 02:21 AM

did you go to the marathon? i really wanted to, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. planning a home marathon soon.

when was the episode I 3d? wasn't that the beginning of 2012? and we have to wait until the end of 2013 for the next two? i was under the impression they'd be annual releases.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 03:53 PM

I didn't go to the marathon. My wife did not approve. I'll paraphrase "you're going to go see movies, that you own, in the theater for 13 hours and leave me home alone with 2 kids?" I might do a marathon at home, though I watched Return of the King on Thanksgiving. I'm reading The Two Towers to Seamus currently. We've been working on the whole series, starting with The Hobbit, since last March. We've needed a few breaks.

I don't know why the Star Wars 3D releases ended up delayed, might be connected with the Disney purchase and plans for the Sequel Trilogy. They are probably going to be using funds from the 3D releases to help fund the ST, just like they used funds from the Special Edition releases in 1997 to pay for Episode I.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 10:50 PM

that was my logic for the marathon as well. i really want to see them on the big screen again, but i'd feel like a dick disappearing from 11am until 1am to go watch movies...by myself. that said, my wife was fine with it. the nerd level of going to a lotr marathon was a bigger concern for her than me begin gone all day. ha!

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-11-2012 at 06:30 AM

It's only happening at one theater by me way up north or I might have done it. I hate driving up there.

That being said I have my tickets for Friday 3D IMAX.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 11:20 AM

Saw it last night. I can see where people would say the movie "dragged" as that seems to be the largest critique. In a culture of ADD now now now payoff big blockbusters...it would seem long winded.

This is the anti-blockbuster blockbuster, to a fan of Tolkiens works it was nothing short of magic. The biggest problem with LotR was the large amounts of material that never made it into the movies due to time constraints. There is none of that here, seeing extra misc stuff from the appendices sprinkled in with the Hobbit narrative leaves you a long fleshed out journey with more than what you could ever ask for.

Some of the extras are stretched a bit as far as how they try to tie them in with the story, but the joy of seeing even a segment of something like the War of Dwarves and Orcs on screen, regardless of it's skewed elements, eclipsed any feeling of forced entry to me.

You get to see Smaug attack fucking Dale for Christs sakes...and dwarf women.

Nerd out.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 01:01 PM

Awesome. I'm going to a real, dome, IMAX for it this afternoon. Gotta get there early to get optimal seating.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 02:35 PM

The 3D was really underplayed, for the most part...there wasn't a lot of "oh look stuff is coming at!" type me parts...that being said, I'm not entirely sure it's needed.

In the next week or so I'm going to see it 2D w/ my nephew, then at some point I'll go see the 48FPS before it's out of theatres.

They were giving away character posters last night too. The parchment looking drawings of Bilbo, Thorin, Gollum and Gandalf that have been floating around the net. Kind of cool...but I dont know what the hell I'm going to do with a poster of Gandalf so I moved on lol.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 11:03 PM

I loved it. And props to my 6 year old for holding his piss for the last hour of the movie!

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 08:43 AM

I didn't drink anything for like 2 hrs before lol...I'm like an old man in movies...I'm always having to get up and piss.

Which version did you see?
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 09:04 AM

I think it was 24fps. For some reason I got the impression the Tuttleman IMAX wasn't HFR. Not 3D either.

I'm going to have to go to one of the less authentic IMAX screens for the HFR 3D. Plus, I really want to see that Man of Steel trailer in a movie theater.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 10:07 AM

Yeah, they had the Supes trailer on the IMAX 3D by me.

There's too many versions...but at least that makes me feel marginally less pathetic seeing it multiple times. I think I'm actually looking forward to seeing it in plain old 2D the most...those glasses were bugging the piss out of me the other night.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 02:30 PM

can't stand wearing the 3d glasses...on top or regular glasses. that shit doesn't work.

the whole 'having to pee while watching a movie' thing is definitely becoming more of an issue. esp depending on how much beer i've snuck in. took two 22oz coffee stouts into lincoln and go through ok, but a single chimay had me bent in half by the end of argo.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 03:24 PM

Yeah...I recently reached my limit in Skyfall. Had a big IPA in the theater and about 45 minutes in....I was climbing over people apologizing.
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 06:20 PM

I thought the HFR was fine. Way better than normal 3D by far, just a bunch of silly bitches nitpicking the look of new technology. Of course the first movie done in HFR is gonna have its flaws.

As far as the story goes once they actually start the adventure it didn't feel dragged out at all.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 09:44 PM
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top