Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Your thoughts on Medical Marijuana?
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 10:13 AM
Your thoughts on Medical Marijuana?

I saw this and thought I would post here to get peoples opinions on Medical Marijuana. I like how Mitt suggests sythetic marijuana and the kid puts up a point as to why it does not work for him and Mitt just walks away saying he is against it when the kid put out a more than excelent point as to why it's needed.

I also feel for this guy as my mother-in-law has MD as well and I know Medical Marijuana would probably help quite a bit more than the tons of meds they give her making her not herself.

I know we don't really do politics here, but this is more of a medicinal drug debate / question. Especially for the sXe members of the board. Hell, I think legalizing it for personal use should be fine though I have never used it myself. Seems like Alcohol does TONS more damage and that is legal. I also feel if they legalized it that it would stimulate jobs / tax revenue. I know people can grow it themselves but if it was legal I am sure there would be a ton more people that would just want to go grab a "pack" or "bag" at a store and not pick up a new hobbie. Hell, Amsterdam does just fine and it brings in TONS of tourist dollars.

XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 10:50 AM

I'm torn on the whole thing. I think the 'medical marijuana' is bullshit in most cases. Its just people that want to smoke weed so they get some 1/2 assed doctor to say they are stressed or ADD or something and they get to legally smoke weed. I know next to nothing about the effects/benefits of marijuana, but in the case of your mother-in-law if REAL doctors think it would help then it seems silly to not allow it.

Part of me also thinks that they should just legalize ALL drugs. As a person that is anti-drug for myself (and thinks others should be even though I dont preach at all) I say whats the difference if someone wants to smoke weed of if they wanna drop acid or shoot heroine. I know that most other drugs can kill you and weed cant, but I find it hard to draw a line saying that this 'drug' is okay and this 'drug' is not okay.

Plus if they legalized all of it then it would help the deficite in tax dollars.

Well... all that being said (I almost deleted it and said nothing) I dont really know what I'm talking about so my opinion doesnt count for that much.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 11:06 AM

my ex got it in Cali...
went to the fake doctor paid 100.00 for the years prescription for her insomnia
went to the pharmacy which was supper sketchy and run by huge Russian guys
they had more kinds of the highest end stuff than you could even imagine existed...
you can buy an once per day...
and non of it is taxed

it's a scam
I say just legalize it tax the fuck out of it and actually start using hemp for all of the possible purposes

ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 11:24 AM

why make synthetic and waste more money creating something that already exists??

Just legalize it. I don't smoke and prob never will. But hey, if people want to be stoned let em. I drink sometimes.

Good punk/HC/oi shows coming up. Check out http://myspace.com/refuseresistband
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 11:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lifeisabitch  
tax the fuck out of it and actually start using hemp for all of the possible purposes

Quote:
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 11:54 AM

my problem with the synthetic thing is it's pharmaceutical companies trying to cash in on something because they can't patent a plant. Here is Colorado, MM is a really big thing, & honestly most people I know with it don't need it for any medical reason, but I do know people who it helps. I could easily get a card for my back problems, even though pot doesn't help with much besides keeping me from hating all the stupid people I'm surrounded by every day, it would be nice to be assured I won't get a ticket (all you get here for under an ounce) if I get searched by cops, but I don't wanna be another member of the younger demographic that is using the medical system simply to get stoned, because in my opinion that's what is completely discrediting it to dildos like Romney.

record collectors are pretentious assholes
Vanilla Gorilla
Posting Freak

Mood: Yellow Stitches

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 12:12 PM

I have mixed feelings on the whole Medical Marijuana thing. It's set up so anyone can get it so the medical part is just a scam/loophole. I have a friend who was blown up in Iraq by in IED and it seriousely fucked up his leg he can walk but is pretty much in constant pain. He said he never smoked marijuana until he was home and another soldier he know said he tried it and it helped him deal with pain and it really helped, he wasn't smoking it to just get high, so my friend tried it and said it really helps and he prefers it to harder pain killers that he has been prescribed.

I think they should legalize all drugs, and actually let people decide for themselves what they want to do. Keeping them illegal doesn't stop anyone from doing them and probably puts the people in more danger because of people they have to deal with to get them. Let people throw their lives away its there choice, laws don't save people, it just puts people in prison who a lot of times probably shouldn't be there. Let people make there own decisions

Well I've got a feeling I'm gonna get mine in. Retribution let the games begin.
Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 12:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Vanilla Gorilla  
I have mixed feelings on the whole Medical Marijuana thing. It's set up so anyone can get it so the medical part is just a scam/loophole. I have a friend who was blown up in Iraq by in IED and it seriousely fucked up his leg he can walk but is pretty much in constant pain. He said he never smoked marijuana until he was home and another soldier he know said he tried it and it helped him deal with pain and it really helped, he wasn't smoking it to just get high, so my friend tried it and said it really helps and he prefers it to harder pain killers that he has been prescribed.

I think they should legalize all drugs, and actually let people decide for themselves what they want to do. Keeping them illegal doesn't stop anyone from doing them and probably puts the people in more danger because of people they have to deal with to get them. Let people throw their lives away its there choice, laws don't save people, it just puts people in prison who a lot of times probably shouldn't be there. Let people make there own decisions
your friend's story right there is a great example of people it helps. & that brings up another point of how harmless it is compared to painkillers. A lot of the older folks I know with MM cards got it because painkillers were too strong, addictive, or made them nauseous.

mattybar

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 12:35 PM

My dad had multiple sclerosis and i remember him saying marijuana (well.. hash cakes in this case) genuinely helped his condition.

The amount of money the governments could rake out of it is incredible. Obviously there are health risks involved if you choose to smoke it but if you compare its negative aspects with that of alcohol it's mind boggling that it's still illegal while alcohol is not.

I also hate how marijuana is referred to as a 'gateway drug' too.. like wtf are the nicotine and alcohol then?!
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 01:28 PM

They want synthetic because big pharm/corporations and their puppet government holds all the cards then. It's greed.

They could easily legalize it and tax it, but then most of the money would be going back to fix the system and not fatten their own pockets.

As long as we live in a country where puritanical values and peoples imaginary friends hold sway over public policy you'll never see it legalized.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 01:43 PM

I also love how they use the violence in the communities where the MM is grown as an example of how it's bad...like anyone with 1/2 a braincell couldn't comprehend how some mom and pop MM wouldn't get jacked by criminals when they're NOT allowed to grow a cash crop 5 miles away.

Wolf eat sheep. Every time...anywhere, in any situation.
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 02:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mattybar  

I also hate how marijuana is referred to as a 'gateway drug' too.. like wtf are the nicotine and alcohol then?!

I think that in our society today nicotine & alcohol are not considered drugs or at the very least they are 'socially acceptable drugs' and thats why they are not considered a 'gateway'. I know most people dont, but I do consider pot a gateway drug, but I think part of the reason is because its illegal. Kids figure they can get pot and they like it and since thye are already doing something illegal (for everyone, not just their age group) they may as well try something else. Or a person gets bored with the high that weed gives them and someone talks them into trying something different.

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 02:20 PM

I'm kind of for legalization. It's a kind of cognitive dissonance on my end. I have the same relationship with alcohol. From a moral standpoint I'm anti-drug, and that includes alcohol. And that's not a Straight Edge thing, it's a Muslim thing. But from a practical point of view, Prohibition was an epic failure that only served to enhance corruption and organized crime. Legends were built upon it, as well as the myth of the benign or benevolent mafioso. You'd have to have a cultural tradition that is anti-alcohol and anti-drug, and even then it wouldn't be 100%. I look at Middle Eastern countries where prohibition is the law of the land and you've still got smugglers bringing shit in on the black market.

So if we legalize, how will that change matters? It certainly takes the stigma off, and undermines the cartels.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 06:56 PM

there are jack up doctors who will write a script for some jerkoff who stubbed his toe, I've encountered people with scripts for some full on BS, but in a case like my brother, someone who rotted away at a quickened pace from cancer, painfully at that, if something like MM would have given him any comfort, and help him get munchies to be able to eat cuz the chemo has him too fucked up then I am all for it.

I like smoking weed, but don't partake anymore. I have too much to lose if I am ever piss tested.
morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 10:28 PM

I know that medical marijuana does have its legitimate uses, for example I have a friend with Crohn's disease and she would smoke occasionally and it would really help with her nausea and pain. With that being said I think many of the users of MM are simply taking advantage of the system. I would much rather people just admit they want to get high instead of using some bullshit excuse.

I also think that drugs in general should be legalized or at the very least decriminalized. I don't use anything outside of nicotine and alcohol but the fact that marijuana and other drugs are illegal does more harm than good.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 12:26 AM

The problem with that logic is this...the person admits they "just want to get high". Point me to where they can now buy weed w/o the danger of going to jail by simply admitting that.

You can't simply dismiss it as people gaming a system like they're being lazy or trying to pull a fast one...whats the other option? The Dr's prescribing it don't believe for a minute most of these people "need" it either, but they know they can charge for an appointment.

That's called people being resourceful...if our government did the same thing they'd be the ones making money off of it instead.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 02:58 AM

If this definitely helps people I am all for it. You would be crazy not to be. However, I see this as a vehicle for douche bags to abuse something at the expense of those that would truly need it. I do not understand how this would help anyone with cancer, MD or glocoma(spelling). Again I am ignorant to the benefits of using this drug for medical purposes. Honest proven benefits and not a assumed point of view.

I have smoked the weed on too many occasions as a youth. In many capacities. I've been around it way more than I care to elaborate. My experience is that the only people who want it are those that want to get high and would do other drugs if it were around. To that I say, fuck you. Keep the shit illegal and you deal with the consequences of being arrested and serving time or paying fines. I have arrested people for it(high and not high) and they can be just as obnoxious, if not worse that a drunk. Commonly if you find weed on someone, they also have heroin, or crack, or meth, or are drunk.

my experience in the past is that I would not trust myself or anyone else high. You get fucked up. Plain and simple. You are also more at liberty and are around more drugs. Bad environment.

Look, I know people who just supposedly smoke, and I know how they tick. My buddy Eric was one of them and he ended his life OD'ing heroine in 04. Dude had demons to deal with and comforted them with weed, and then tripping and then eventually heroin. IE the famous phrase "gateway drug". I get it now at the age of 35. In my teens and early 20's that was a joke. I've witnessed it first hand. As well as I assume all of us. If you want to admit it, cool, but most won't and will take the "legalize it" route. If that happens drug use will be even worse and I'm not talking weed.

Kids and the average US citizen would have to deal with the consequences.

Before I lose my "THORP BOARD COOL CARD" understand. I'm not trying to talk shit, start a argument or whatever. I jsut know that weed gets ya nowhere.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 03:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  
The problem with that logic is this...the person admits they "just want to get high". Point me to where they can now buy weed w/o the danger of going to jail by simply admitting that.

I guess I should have been a bit more clear on that. If you want to play the system thats fine and I understand why you would have to do that. As someone who really doesn't care if you want to smoke I would rather be spared having to hear a bullshit excuse as to why you're smoking pot. This is strictly on a personal level.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 07:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by clevohardcore  
. I do not understand how this would help anyone with cancer

It's not going to cure anything really.
Thing is , having smoked it, you are aware of how it makes you want to eat afterwards.
Cheomo and the other shit they put you on induces nausea, and kills one's desire to eat, and if you eat, you puke the stuff right on up. the M can calm the nausea and allows one eat without having to be fed thru an IV. you might change your opinion if you get to experience the situation first hand. but I won't argue about it. I'll eat a bullet before I let myself go thru it.

MY son's grandfather was apprarently given THC ( i am assuming this is the synthetic) whille under going a kidney transplant over the winter. He's like wtf? they're getting me stoned?
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 08:43 AM

If this definitely helps people I am all for it. You would be crazy not to be. However, I see this as a vehicle for douche bags to abuse something at the expense of those that would truly need it. I do not understand how this would help anyone with cancer, MD or glocoma(spelling). Again I am ignorant to the benefits of using this drug for medical purposes. Honest proven benefits and not a assumed point of view.

I have smoked the weed on too many occasions as a youth. In many capacities. I've been around it way more than I care to elaborate. My experience is that the only people who want it are those that want to get high and would do other drugs if it were around. To that I say, fuck you. Keep the shit illegal and you deal with the consequences of being arrested and serving time or paying fines. I have arrested people for it(high and not high) and they can be just as obnoxious, if not worse that a drunk. Commonly if you find weed on someone, they also have heroin, or crack, or meth, or are drunk.

my experience in the past is that I would not trust myself or anyone else high. You get fucked up. Plain and simple. You are also more at liberty and are around more drugs. Bad environment.

Look, I know people who just supposedly smoke, and I know how they tick. My buddy Eric was one of them and he ended his life OD'ing heroine in 04. Dude had demons to deal with and comforted them with weed, and then tripping and then eventually heroin. IE the famous phrase "gateway drug". I get it now at the age of 35. In my teens and early 20's that was a joke. I've witnessed it first hand. As well as I assume all of us. If you want to admit it, cool, but most won't and will take the "legalize it" route. If that happens drug use will be even worse and I'm not talking weed.

Kids and the average US citizen would have to deal with the consequences.

Before I lose my "THORP BOARD COOL CARD" understand. I'm not trying to talk shit, start a argument or whatever. I jsut know that weed gets ya nowhere.

I know plenty of people older than me who have smoked their whole lives recreationally and are productive members of society doing better than you and I probably ever will. I also know people who have never touched weed and went onto other drugs...and others still who have smoked weed and now are dead from heroin.

You're forming your opinion by the weak minded fringe of society you have dealt with on the job. Which is where you're going to form your opinion from understandably...but that doesn't make it so. It's not a black and white issue. Absolutes exist in politics and lies we tell ourselves to feel better about whats going on around us.

I don't think all drugs should be legalized...but M would be a huge step towards ending a completely bullshit war on drugs invented to make money for the people pretending to be fighting it. I don't see rampant weed zombies roaming the earth terrorizing women and children. The same limitations and safeguards should be put on it that are in place on alcohol abusers.

and speaking as someone who has been through chemo...I wish I had the option of MM and didn't have to rely on synthetic drugs to eases the nausea and destruction of the other synthetic drugs they were killing me with.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 12:14 PM

Jason, I think you put into words what I was thinking. So I needent add any further replies.

FTW
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 02:42 PM

As someone who lives with chronic pain, I can understand why people look for an escape. Weed is apparently great for people with extreme nausea from things like chemotherapy. If it would help me I'd be smoking it, even though I don't like the high from it. By that same token, a lot of the people who claim to "need" medical marijuana are full of shit.

When it comes to legalization, the only thing that needs to happen first is a way to dest for it on the spot, just like a breathalyzer test. Weed fucks you up and if you're smoking you shouldn't be driving. Anybody who says it doesn't affect them is full of shit. If they can work that out, I'm all for legalization.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 07:46 PM

I just know that weed gets ya nowhere.
if people aren't motivated to go anywhere then weed sure as shit won't help. People like that wouldn't go anywhere anyway. I know a lot of older successful people who've been smoking daily for most of their lives. Unfortunately a lot of the people who advertise to everyone that they smoke pot give everyone else who does a bad name. But just like the guy who wants everyone to know how much they love to binge drink (hey, I was one of those at one point), it's something most people generally grow out of by their mid-twenties.
If they're gonna have MM, I'm totally against abusing it. In my town there's at least 10 dispensaries now (a lot for the size), & they have completely made a joke out of the whole thing by letting just anyone get it. Just fucking legalize it. Anyone who's done their fair share of experimenting with drugs, including alcohol, can tell you that smoking pot (especially when you build the normal tolerance to it) is completely in a different league than anything else on the list. As far as driving, that's the big thing now law enforcement is looking at. Anyone who says pot doesn't affect their driving is bullshitting. To add to what Discipline was taling about, the whole problem is that THC stays in the system for average of a month, give or take, so they have to come up with a system to measure whether you got high right before you got behind the wheel, or you did 8 hours earlier, which for most people is not going to affect their driving.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 1-13-2012 at 12:07 AM

I'm going to read up on this subject. I'm intrigued now. This may take some times as I have school studies etc to deal with but I'm curious to know more about this.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-13-2012 at 09:49 AM

Feds crack down on Colorado medical pot dispensaries

http://news.yahoo.com/feds-crack-down-colorado-medical-pot-d...

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top