Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help a brother out. Work related.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-31-2012 at 06:09 PM
Help a brother out. Work related.

I don't know if anyone in the area knows anyone that might be looking into or interested in having wallpaper put in their house, but if you do get in touch with me and I'll give you my contact info. I've been papering for 10 years now, mostly on the Main Line.

Also, anyone have any ideas about how I might go about getting the word out especially to younger 30-ish homeowners that might be interested if they were exposed to wallpapers that aren't tacky like a lot of it was in the 80s.

I need to expand my horizons to diversify the sources of my income. Relying on a couple different guys to sub under just isn't cutting it these days. I'm open to ideas.

Furly
Posting Freak

Mood: Not your band.

[*] posted on 2-1-2012 at 10:56 AM

After having to peal layer after layer after layer from a couple of apartments, and the stress my horsehair plaster took.... I'll never wallpaper.

Good luck though.... Maybe you could get in with Service Magic.com, I've use them to find people for a bunch of jobs, big and small.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-1-2012 at 11:04 AM

Yeah, service magic may be good. Also, anyone you do work for...having them review you on yelp is a good idea...lots of people look there for service reviews.

Good luck...I personally cant imagine having anything wallpapered at this point in time when you can hire people to paint for so cheap. There's non tacky wallpaper?
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-1-2012 at 02:14 PM

It depends on your taste, but yeah there's some beautiful wallpaper out there. A lot of great stuff from England.

XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-1-2012 at 03:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Furly  
After having to peal layer after layer after layer from a couple of apartments, and the stress my horsehair plaster took.... I'll never wallpaper.

Good luck though.... Maybe you could get in with Service Magic.com, I've use them to find people for a bunch of jobs, big and small.

I saw that there is stuff you can spray on so you can peel it right off with no effort. Yeah, I saw it on the Vanilla Ice Project, so what? ;)

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-1-2012 at 05:54 PM

The hardest old wallpaper to deal with is stuff that's been painted over numerous times. But in general you don't need anything but good old hot water and a garden sprayer and a good scraper.

Mickey

Mood: Wisdom In Chains

[*] posted on 2-1-2012 at 07:09 PM

Coming from a hardcore/punk diy background, think how bands would get their stuff out. Make fliers that show your work, and post em in supermarkets. Put them up on community boards, and stick them under windshield wipers in lowes and home depot parking lots. If ya have a commuter train hit that parking lot too. Post a craigslist add with pictures. make a facebook page and spam your friends and ask them to repost.. Post it here I'll help spam for ya. I know some heads near you.

I'm ok with people not liking me
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 12:46 AM

Good ideas Mickey. I need to get some business cards printed up too.

moforn

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 07:33 PM

Not sure what it's like your area but it seems to me around here that the wallpaper revival is mostly a phenomenon of a certain niche- sort of the retro/quirky aesthetic. Maybe advertising in vintage shops or collaborating with furniture restorers might be an approach? Also- you're right that there's definitely an aversion out there to wallpaper because most of it was pretty hideous for a few decades, this being the case maybe some photos of tasteful work you've done might steer some people towards papering who wouldn't have considered it otherwise, maybe even look into a booth at a home reno tradeshow type deal if there's anything like that in your area.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 04:44 PM

weird cuz I visited my dad last nght and hetold me how he had a bitch of a time tearing out old wallpaper in the bathroom and putting new stuff / plaster in earlier in the week...I didn't know he was planning to do it, he just starts projects on a whim....crazy for being 77 huh?
said he would pay someone next time.
if i had known he was needing it done, I could have sent you his way being he is in Drexel Hill which is pretty close to you.
Next time.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-5-2012 at 10:16 AM

there ya go... need to add "wall paper removal" to your list of services!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.

Go To Top