Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: there are some amazing minds at work in this world
lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-23-2012 at 10:13 PM
there are some amazing minds at work in this world

http://youtu.be/2KtMCX7FfZ0

I wish I could go back to school and get a degree in engineering...
think of the other practical applications like wheelchairs

Vanilla Gorilla
Posting Freak

Mood: Yellow Stitches

[*] posted on 2-23-2012 at 10:44 PM

if that is real it's one of the coolest things ever

Well I've got a feeling I'm gonna get mine in. Retribution let the games begin.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 2-23-2012 at 11:02 PM

I so don't believe it.

That could be the most dangerous thing in the history of the world. How many times have you say thought what if I jumped off a bridge? Or while driving thought, I'm going to plow into that asshole driving like a douche bag.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-23-2012 at 11:11 PM

yes but if a paraplegic could roll him/her self in a wheel chair by just thinking it
that's just amazing...

morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 2-23-2012 at 11:15 PM

Thats pretty cool.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 2-24-2012 at 01:51 PM

The thing I like most about stuff like this and shows like Mythbusters is that they show kids that science and learning can be cool and really fun.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 2-24-2012 at 02:33 PM

I'm not saying it wouldn't be great if this is real. I'm just saying I don't think it is.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-24-2012 at 06:52 PM

Seems legit, but they're making some bullshit claims about "you imagine where you want to be and it takes you there."

If anybody is interested...

The Emotiv headset they're using is a mini-EEG system. You've probably seen pictures of EEG before, but here's another...

The same idea here is what's used in neurofeedback (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurofeedback), where a person receives real-time feedback about neural activity and is trained to somehow respond in a way that changes the activity. You know how you're told to count to ten before responding when you're angry to control your response? Same idea, but on a fancy level.

So, this thing isn't "reading your mind." It's monitoring activity in different brain regions. With proper training, it seems that we can change activity in some brain regions. That's what's happening here. The thing is programmed to respond in different ways to neural activity in different brain regions. It monitors brain activity using EEG in real-time, and the person is trained how to cause a spike in activity in a brain region that the program interprets as "go forward" or "stop." That in no way means that you're thinking "go forward" or "stop."

lifeisabitch is right about this stuff having amazing potential for people who are paralyzed but still have functioning brains (which they do, since they're not in a coma).

One of the founders of Emotiv gave a TED talk which is pretty good, but I remember her overselling a bunch of stuff. Might be cool for you to check out, though. http://www.ted.com/talks/tan_le_a_headset_that_reads_your_br...

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.

Go To Top