Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Would you let your children get into hardcore?
forsaken

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 03:58 AM
Would you let your children get into hardcore?

Quote:
Originally posted by Boycott Christian HC
As it is today?

Totally, but I'd tell them about something I had to learn the hardway .... Never trust anyone, keep everyone at arms length until they prove they are for real, either by their deeds and intentions or the fact they stick around and have heart not just for the music but for people who call them friends.
Thats Life

Mood: Integrity

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 08:22 AM

i got time to think about this but my kids will be into what they want to be into.
bystanderfanzine.com

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 08:58 AM

I really hope my kids are into school and academics... kids tend to do the opposite of thier parents, so my kids are going to end up being preppy jocks.

and there will be no video games in my home. They will hate me, but I don't care.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 09:00 AM

wow. a thread started by boycott - it' s been a while. and this is a damn fine question.

i've spent quite a bit of time trying to imagine how i would feel if my daughter (or any future kid) got into something that i was totally not into. i like to think i'll be supportive of whatever interests she pursues, but i'd probably have a hard time not smacking some sense into her if she was a whore or one of those white girls that dresses like a puerto rican girl with the tight slick hair, thin eye brows and big gold earings. don't get me wrong, i have no problem with puerto rican girls that dress this way, but white girls that try to look the same way are ridiculous. anyway, other than that, yeah, i hope to be cool with it. i think it would be cool if she was really into popular team sports, cause i never was.

when i was a youngster, there was nothing cool about skateboarding or hardcore in the eyes of the general public, and sometimes that meant needing a really thick skin or extra confidence in yourself as an individual. i don't know for sure, but given the popularity of both these days, i can't imagine that that is still the case.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Ungodly

Mood: Useless office speech

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 09:15 AM

I'm all for letting kids what they like on their own. As far as encouraging them one way or another- they will do the opposite of their parents like so I agree that's not a good idea.

I would hope that I can raise them like I was, to know themselves and know right from wrong so if they got into punk or HC, they would be able to see through the BS aspects. Also my dad was way liberal and kind but a healthily firm and strict parent, and of course I rebelled here and there, but ultimately that's how I am/will be when I have kids. If you teach kids rightly on the basic stuff in life I think they will be OK no matter what.

And of course, if they did show an interest in punk or HC, I would definitely give them some specific warnings based on my own experience.

Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.

www.myspace.com/metal_mary
bystanderfanzine.com

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 09:25 AM

I think we can all agree hardcore isn't what it use to be, but what is. Being out is in... I feel bad for kids because everything is a commodity.

I wouldn't mind if my kids got into sparts, I would love it if they raced BMX. It is a healthy sport and very family orientated.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 09:39 AM

I would be cool with it but I would tell the kid to not take the whole "scene" too seriously.

Besides, it would be better then having the kid listening to rap/hip hop in the house. I hate that shit and wouldn't want to hear it. Plus, if my kid tried to be one of those wannabe thugs, the whiteboy mall gangsta, I'd have to kick his ass. That's way more stupid then most of the dumbass hardcore kids.

I wouldn't want to have a kid that's into sports and shit either cause that shit is boring to me and I wouldn't want to have to go watch games and practices and shit.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Todd

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 10:37 AM

The great things about hardcore are the things that aren't really unique to hardcore at all; strong ethics, committment, self reliance, and a good work ethic. I'm not having kids but I have the greatest godson and I'll try to instill in him all the great things that I learned from being involved in this music.

I'd rather have my kid be smart than athletic (not that you can't be both) because even though the junior high/high school years can be brutal, who do you think those abusive jocks end up working for for the rest of their lives???

I would be a horrible dad...

Ungodly

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd
The great things about hardcore are the things that aren't really unique to hardcore at all; strong ethics, committment, self reliance, and a good work ethic. I'm not having kids but I have the greatest godson and I'll try to instill in him all the great things that I learned from being involved in this music.

I'd rather have my kid be smart than athletic (not that you can't be both) because even though the junior high/high school years can be brutal, who do you think those abusive jocks end up working for for the rest of their lives???

I would be a horrible dad...

I was terrorized by/hated jocks in jr high and HS, but now I kind of am one in my own way. Fitness and fun sports good. Jerks of any stripe bad.

gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 10:46 AM

i hope my kids are into something better then the crap i like
i dont know what but anything

you come at the king....you best not miss
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 10:50 AM

I hope I'll make a good father. Sometimes Im not so sure.
KyleOz
* CHOPS OF DOOM *

Mood: Social Distortion

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by moron
I hope I'll make a good father.

That's the main worry. My Dad is/was a great father. He was stern and strict yet he knew when to cut some slack.

I did sports year round up until 10th grade in high school then the last two years I did nothing but football. I didn't have too many trustworthy friends as sad as that is, so I occupied my times in sports and music. Worked out, stayed in shape somewhat. Sports is by no means a bad thing if your child truely enjoys it.

As for music, whatever my child finds appealing I'll let him/her listen to. It is not my job to impose my will or taste in my child to some extent.

angus yeoman: what are cats supposed to do? distract you from the fact that you\'re distracted by everything else?

http://www.myspace.com/kyleoz
RomanticViolence
* Jennytailya *

Mood: Fuck U All

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 12:08 PM

i don't see a problem with it. As long as my kids don't act like most of the asshole kids in the scene it will be ok.

Have you ever noticed how crayons are a lot like M&M's? All the colors tend to taste the same.
Dan

Mood: Resist Control

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 12:50 PM

If I had a kids, I'd let them get into hardcore. And then, in the time-honored tradition of hardcore, I'd complain about how kids like them ruined hardcore.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bystanderfanzine.com
I really hope my kids are into school and academics... kids tend to do the opposite of thier parents, so my kids are going to end up being preppy jocks.

and there will be no video games in my home. They will hate me, but I don't care.

zactly ...my kid is really good in sports and school
i sucked at anything athletic, and did really bad in school

but honestly, my parents never realy "let" me get into hardcore, metal or anything i ever did, i just was and they didnt really get much of a say in it...but then again they really didnt provide much direction alltogether so i dunno
will there even be hardcore when he is older though? seriously now?
hollymaconmovies

Mood: Drops of Jupiter

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 06:13 PM

I think if you lay a strong enough foundation for your children, you can let them to listen to almost anything. Just guide them as much as possible. Music doesn't corrupt kids. The scene's might in some instances, but that's where parenting comes in.

Besides, forbidding a child to listen to a certain type of music isn't going to stop them from listening to it.

Todd

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 07:18 PM

When I talk about jocks I'm talking about the stereotypical monsters that tortured me in junior high/high school, not people that exercise and take good care of themselves.

moforn

[*] posted on 7-14-2005 at 07:23 AM

Not to nitpick but I've got to take issue with the wording of the original question. I don't think it's up to a parent to "let" their kid get into hardcore, I think the issue is whether or not you'd be happy about or encourage their involvement.
As was touched on earlier, hardcore does not have a monopoly on the qualities (both good and bad) associated with it. If I had a kid who beat up random people at shows for recreation I would have about as much regard for him/her as I would for a kid who did so in any other setting (not very much). On the other hand if I had a kid who ran with a tight group of friends and had the guts to have a distinct identity I'd respect and encourage that, whether their common bond was hardcore or a chess club.
That aside, it would be pretty cool to have a kid who I could listen to bad brains and the replacements with .
It should be said though that if any kid of mine sported the spock hair/white belt/girl pants/eyeliner look, I'm afraid military school would be my only recourse.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 7-15-2005 at 11:23 AM

I got a boy on the way. I want ot get him into music right off the bat. I loved listening with my dad to his ZEPPLIN STONES and ROXY MUSIC records on the turn table.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 7-15-2005 at 12:16 PM

Kids usually try to rebel against what ever their parents are so most hardcore parents will have non-hardcore kids. I wouldnt stop a kid from getting into hardcore, but with it being the way it is with more and more violence, shit talking and all that I wouldnt them to get into it.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 7-15-2005 at 12:37 PM

I want to get him into playing music. Whatever he wants to listen to is up to him to a point. Dad will lay down the law.
Ungodly

[*] posted on 7-15-2005 at 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
I got a boy on the way. I want ot get him into music right off the bat. I loved listening with my dad to his ZEPPLIN STONES and ROXY MUSIC records on the turn table.

Good point. My dad didn't force any subculture on us but he listened to some good stuff, and I still have his records. Custody of a first press of "Are You Experienced?" just passed to my brother for a while.

Thats Life

Mood: Integrity

[*] posted on 7-15-2005 at 01:53 PM

wow that's awesome. Hendrix is the best thing my dad ever got me into.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 7-15-2005 at 02:03 PM

My dad actually got into some Hardcore from me. He owns most of the Murphys Law CDs and a few other bands. Hes also into some random "not old guy" type bands like Primus, Infections Grooves & some other stuff.
Killthehumans

Mood: simon and garfunkal

[*] posted on 7-15-2005 at 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boycott Christian HC
As it is today?

id let them into it, even though alot of it is popular and fashionable today theres still a section of it that is still for the outcasts, nerds,rebels and others it was orignally started by.

just take a look at the papers
your leaders
they\'re killers
they\'re liars
what they do in your
name to make the bodies pile higher
the murders, the terror
they\'ve done it forever
as we sit band and smile
at the script they sell us
but now the victims, they\'re rising
their numbers\'s multiplying