Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Poll: "25 Essential Punk Albums" - how many have you owned?
0 --- 1 (4.76%)
1-5 --- 6 (28.57%)
6-10 --- 6 (28.57%)
11-15 --- 4 (19.05%)
16-20 --- 4 (19.05%)
21-25 -- 0 (0%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: "25 Essential Punk Albums" - how many have you owned?
MattyA

[*] posted on 3-23-2012 at 11:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Colin  
Quote: Originally posted by Discipline  
Quote: Originally posted by REV.PAULIE  
BEDLAM???????

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?????

I've never even heard of them before.
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 3-24-2012 at 10:39 AM

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
jcarter

[*] posted on 3-24-2012 at 11:27 AM

15-
25) The Angry Samoans -- Back From Samoa: With such tracks as "My Old Man's A Fatso," "They Saved Hitler's C**k" and the 23 seconds of "You Stupid Jerk," the Angry Samoans hit their stride. Only "Ballad of Jerry Curlan" breaks the three minute mark. It's like they can't wait for the songs to be over.

24) The Dictators -- Go Girl Crazy!: Led by the charming Handsome Dick Manitoba and Andy Shernoff, the Dictators were among the first groups to create the modern mix of junk culture love and enthusiasm over chops. Their rough and tumble cover of Sonny and Cher's "I Got You Babe" never sounded more lovely. But "Master Race Rock" sounds like they're tripping over one another for the TV remote.

23) The Germs -- GI: The lone real Germs album, GI is often considered the first hardcore punk album for its superspeed, aggression and general disdain for anything too musical. You'd think the California sun would mellow out potential punks, but I guess some people hate sunshine. Oh, dear, someone got too hot!

20) Circle Jerks -- Group Sex: Black Flag took on the darkness, while their singer Keith Morris took off for lighter pastures with the hilarious Circle Jerks. Group Sex is fourteen songs in fifteen minutes. The ADD generation starts here.

19) Descendents -- Milo Goes To College: Don't blame the Descendents for the endless California punks who love their hooks more than their aggression. Milo Aukerman and crew played with the rough edges intact. Though admittedly, they were at their best when they slowed it to 55mph. Everyone gets better mileage that way. Youth music that sounds young.

18) Black Flag -- Damaged: Though Henry Rollins is synonymous with Black Flag, much of the group's legacy is rooted in a time before he joined the ranks. Rollins' angst would slow the band down, but the stuff written before he showed his face careens out of control like pure hardcore. Maybe "Damaged I" is more emotionally "true," but "Rise Above," "TV Party" and "Six Pack" are better songs. Only a churl doesn't love a TV Party.

16) Dead Kennedys -- Plastic Surgery Disasters: Some might pick Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables or In God We Trust, Inc. But I'm partial to this ambitious collection that manages to work the entire field, from thrashers to grinders to rockabilly. Due to the band's provocative nature, East Bay Ray may be the world's most underrated guitarist. Remove the shock value and there are some killer riffs waiting to do real damage.

15) Bad Brains -- Bad Brains: The idea that punk bands could not play their instruments is correct for many bands. Not this one. Washington, DC's hardcore punk and reggae band Bad Brains assault with precision. Just listen to those guitar solos! They kept branching out, though, since playing at 140mph gets unexciting once you've perfected it twenty times over. Guys? You want to jam out some Boz Scaggs? Guys??

14) The Clash -- London Calling: I think I'm supposed to take the Green Album, but I just can't. Maybe the original Black Market Clash ten-inch record, but definitely London Calling, which broadens the punk palette until it's so many shades of grey that it can be played over and over without your arms getting tired.

12) Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers -- L.A.M.F.: Such a glorious mess in its first edition that it's been remixed several times since to better point up its attributes. The New York Dolls split the difference between glam and punk, but Thunders directed his new band to go in for the kill. If this music sounded dangerous, it's because it was dangerous. Would you let your daughter marry a Heartbreaker? I don't think so. Unless you hate your daughter.

8) Minor Threat -- Out of Step: Taking "Complete Discography" seems like a cheat, even if it all does fit on one CD. "Salad Days" is the perfect culmination of this Washington, DC hardcore band's narrative. And in a righteous world I would be allowed to add the single to stretch out this EP, but sticking to the rules somewhat, I say at eight or nine songs, this thing kicks harder than most full-length rock albums and even lasts longer than at least two dozen punk albums I can think of. Ian MacKaye was ok, but his disciples were often thick and ordinary. Not his fault.

6) Misfits -- Walk Among Us: Recently re-listened to this one and dang if it didn't come racing out of the speakers like I owed it money. The unison chants mean anybody can sing along and the ratty sound erroneously convinced aspiring punks that anyone could play it. But that isn't so, as thirty years of schoolin' haven't put nobody on no day shift.

5) Buzzcocks -- Singles Going Steady: Glen Matlock might've been thrown out of the Sex Pistols for knowing how to play a Beatles tune, but the Buzzcocks would've kept him. What are songs but hooks to hang your hopes and dreams on? Writing songs people remember ain't no capital crime.

2) The Ramones -- Leave Home: Picking one Ramones album is the real Sophie's Choice. The first self-titled one is the blueprint and Rocket To Russia is the full-on actualization. That leaves Leave Home, which Carbona-full or no should never be discounted. I'll be your Pinhead, if you'll be mine.

1) The Sex Pistols -- Never Mind the Bollocks: Credit producer Chris Thomas for having the foresight to ignore the punk credo of loud, fast and sloppy and to insist on creating a wall of guitar sound that no mortal could penetrate, except for Johnny Rotten, who snarls beyond what the hype claimed for his then-skinny butt. Sure, the singles are the apocalypse, but if "Bodies," "No Feelings," "Seventeen" and "EMI" are the deep album cuts, let me drown.

Spoiler
Posting Freak

Mood: All that scene philosophy never meant a goddamned thing to me

[*] posted on 3-25-2012 at 04:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MattyA  
BEDLAM???????

I've heard of them and owned one of their releases. I don't know which one or remember anything great about them though.
15 for me, I think.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-26-2012 at 06:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Spoiler  
Quote: Originally posted by MattyA  
BEDLAM???????

I've heard of them and owned one of their releases. I don't know which one or remember anything great about them though.
15 for me, I think.

All I remember is the singer looked like the fat kid from head of the class.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top