Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Any good youth crew / sXe / vegan / posi-core?
3rdDistrict

[*] posted on 7-16-2012 at 03:21 PM

modern yoof krew, i turn to YOUNGBLOOD and REACT! Records
mindset, scred love, fired up!, etc.

Also back to back records in PA
stick together, disengage, etc

BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-16-2012 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Discipline  
Quote: Originally posted by random  
Mike, I think you're right. I looked it up, and it seems that they were Christians on a Christian label that didn't consider themselves a "Christian band."

I knew about Tooth & Nail records being a Christian label and would have ignored anything on it. I have a feeling that Stretch Arm Strong probably toured with Zao and some other openly Christian bands in the early 2000s and played some shows nearby that I wouldn't have bothered going to (though, now that I look at Wikipedia, it looks like Zao has become half-assed in their beliefs).

In any case, I skipped a lot of bands at the time who were "Christian hardcore" (and there were a non-trivial number of them) along with most of the "straight edge vegan" screamo/bad-metal bands that were very popular and hipster-ish (i.e. what some hipsters were before they became hipsters... already wearing trucker hats in an ironic way, but not yet drinking tallboys of PBR) where I was living at the time.

The funny thing about Christian music is that so many people hate it, especially on this board. At the same time, many here love Johnny Cash who sang shitloads of Christian songs and gospels.

I used to listen to Strongarm all the time. Their first album was amazing.

BKT.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-16-2012 at 04:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaveMoral  
Vegan Reich
RAID

Not posi, but waaaaaay vegan.

I've always thought Raid were overrated. I like some of their lyrics, but could only enjoy a couple of their songs. I don't agree with some of Vegan Reich's lyrics, but always dug their sound. I've always thought they would sound really good live.

I actually love RAID because they were so damned cheezy and bad in a lot of ways. The vocals, for the most part, always kill it for me. They are all over the place and often really really forced. Their first 7 inch is more straight up hc and less metallic than their second and third and somehow more genuine.

Vegan Reich is fun. I'm tight with Sean Reich but unfortunately never saw them as I was too young in their first time around and couldn't get a ride to their reunion show in '99 in Indianapolis. I do have a video of them playing at a Hardline gathering in 1992 that is great.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-16-2012 at 04:13 PM

Also, I like some Christian hardcore. No Innocent Victim is good. I think it's funny how hostile cats can be to those bands but turn around and listen to Shelter or 108. What's the difference?

BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-16-2012 at 04:23 PM

Also, I like some Christian hardcore. No Innocent Victim is good. I think it's funny how hostile cats can be to those bands but turn around and listen to Shelter or 108. What's the difference?

Fuck ya No Innocent Victim are sick. Their first couple albums were ruthless.

BKT.

CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 7-18-2012 at 09:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BDx13  
http://www.facebook.com/outlaststraightedge
http://www.facebook.com/outlaststraightedge/app_178091127385

Newer band from NJ, got into this band from the guys in My Turn To Win. Singer was on the MTW ep.

Love Outlast. Apparently they just went through STL.
CR83

[*] posted on 7-18-2012 at 09:52 PM

Best thread in a LONG time for me. I have been trying to get this info for a while and keep failing to ask. Thanks for starting!
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 7-18-2012 at 10:26 PM

Found this last night, don't know how many links still work but there's a lot of good stuff.

http://australianxhardcore.blogspot.com.au/

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
CR83

[*] posted on 7-19-2012 at 08:32 PM

listening to this music all day. so fucking good.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-19-2012 at 10:41 PM

Test Of Time

Todd Pollock is a legendary hardcore photographer whose work all of you have seen--on countless shirts, posters, records, etc. But chances are you would never recognize this man of mystery. He has now picked up a microphone. This is mandatory listening. http://testoftime.bandcamp.com/

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-9-2012 at 08:00 PM

The funny thing about Christian music is that so many people hate it, especially on this board. At the same time, many here love Johnny Cash who sang shitloads of Christian songs and gospels.

I grew up in a part of the South where you can't drive half a mile without passing a Southern Baptist church, even if it is literally a shack that can hold five people. If I grew up around a bunch of fundamentalist Buddhists, I'd probably be more hostile towards organized Buddhism.

I don't really care one way or another about someone's personal religious beliefs. I do care when you act like a douchebag and use your religious beliefs to oppress others. I understand where the sentiment comes from and can sympathize, but I still can't bring myself to think it's OK.

I can also listen to some gospel and not give a shit that they're singing about God. There's just something about Christian hardcore that rubs me the wrong way. I suspect it's the conviction and occasional militancy that I associate with hardcore and that I really do not like seeing in organized religion.

Dave, as for "what's the difference?" I don't see a large number of Americans, perhaps even a majority, swinging on the nuts of some Hare Krishna guru's oppressive rhetoric. That's the difference for me. I also get offended (i) at the pro-Zionist lobby in the US and (ii) that you get portrayed as being anti-Semitic by that lobby for supporting HUMAN RIGHTS for all people (including Palestinians) and a real peace agreement where both sides are equal partners who may be able to partially resolve a decades/centuries/millennia-old conflict. Those are the main organized religions I've been exposed to. I'm sure lots of others are raging assholes, too, but I reserve judgment until I interact with them.

I'm fine with religion being a personal belief that helps you live a better life and treat your fellow humans with respect and dignity. I'm not fine with religion (or political ideology, or lots of other things) when it becomes nothing more than an excuse to dehumanize other people and treat them like shit.

I think we handle this stuff well on this board. Dave, I'm sure your Muslim beliefs are in conflict with some things I hold dear. I know Clevo holds some views on homosexuality that I find abysmal. But I don't think either of you are going out (or have a desire to) stone people for violating perceived dictates from your preferred religious texts. You've got your beliefs and, to the best of my knowledge, let others live as they choose.

I'm a little less angry and a bit more tolerant in my older age. I might dig some NIV now. Probably won't get into Earth Crisis, but that's more the metal than the militancy these days.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
panzerkreuzer
Posting Freak

Mood: gang green

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 11:46 AM

awesome boston band! No tolerance! they released two hard to find 7"s.
http://youngbloodrecords.bandcamp.com/album/no-remorse-no-to...

random, check out this label`s bandcamp. every band is classic youth crew. especially face reality, lights out, mind eraser and fired up are top notch.
http://youngbloodrecords.bandcamp.com/

stateofdisgrace

Mood: Kill Your Idols, H2O and Eminem

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 02:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by panzerkreuzer  
awesome boston band! No tolerance! they released two hard to find 7"s.
http://youngbloodrecords.bandcamp.com/album/no-remorse-no-to...

random, check out this label`s bandcamp. every band is classic youth crew. especially face reality, lights out, mind eraser and fired up are top notch.
http://youngbloodrecords.bandcamp.com/

No Tolerance is one of my favs right now!
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-15-2012 at 05:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by random  

I grew up in a part of the South where you can't drive half a mile without passing a Southern Baptist church, even if it is literally a shack that can hold five people. If I grew up around a bunch of fundamentalist Buddhists, I'd probably be more hostile towards organized Buddhism.

I don't really care one way or another about someone's personal religious beliefs. I do care when you act like a douchebag and use your religious beliefs to oppress others. I understand where the sentiment comes from and can sympathize, but I still can't bring myself to think it's OK.

I can also listen to some gospel and not give a shit that they're singing about God. There's just something about Christian hardcore that rubs me the wrong way. I suspect it's the conviction and occasional militancy that I associate with hardcore and that I really do not like seeing in organized religion.

Dave, as for "what's the difference?" I don't see a large number of Americans, perhaps even a majority, swinging on the nuts of some Hare Krishna guru's oppressive rhetoric. That's the difference for me. I also get offended (i) at the pro-Zionist lobby in the US and (ii) that you get portrayed as being anti-Semitic by that lobby for supporting HUMAN RIGHTS for all people (including Palestinians) and a real peace agreement where both sides are equal partners who may be able to partially resolve a decades/centuries/millennia-old conflict. Those are the main organized religions I've been exposed to. I'm sure lots of others are raging assholes, too, but I reserve judgment until I interact with them.

I'm fine with religion being a personal belief that helps you live a better life and treat your fellow humans with respect and dignity. I'm not fine with religion (or political ideology, or lots of other things) when it becomes nothing more than an excuse to dehumanize other people and treat them like shit.

I think we handle this stuff well on this board. Dave, I'm sure your Muslim beliefs are in conflict with some things I hold dear. I know Clevo holds some views on homosexuality that I find abysmal. But I don't think either of you are going out (or have a desire to) stone people for violating perceived dictates from your preferred religious texts. You've got your beliefs and, to the best of my knowledge, let others live as they choose.

I'm a little less angry and a bit more tolerant in my older age. I might dig some NIV now. Probably won't get into Earth Crisis, but that's more the metal than the militancy these days.

I feel you on that. But I'm not sure how that translates into a hardcore band singing about what they believe in. I've listened to a lot of Christian hc in my day. A lot. In fact, I was rocking NIV yesterday.

I have yet to hear them sing songs about anything that oppresses people. With the exception of perhaps a pro-life song here or there. For the most part it's about Christ, his love yadda yadda. To me that's no different than Bad Brains singing about Haille Selassie and JAH, Shelter or 108(or Cro-Mags, Cause For Alarm) singing about Krishna and Vishnu, or Vegan Reich making a record that was explicitly Islamic(or Racetraitor) or Burn It Down being influenced by the Baha'i Faith.

In my experience Christian hardcore has just as many assholes as hardcore in general.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top