Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Another new Strife song.
BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-11-2012 at 12:23 PM
Another new Strife song.

I am digging the direction this album is going in.

http://www.actionrecon.com/strife-show-no-mercy-new-song/254...

BKT.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 10-11-2012 at 01:37 PM

I might buy 2 of this cd. Damn good stuff.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 07:49 PM

Still not sure how I feel about this.

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 10:26 PM

All whatever aside. This shit sounds way rad. It's heavy, fast and stomps. Almost makes up for releasing some shitty records in the past. Was ANGERMEANS the total band or was it omitting a couple STRIFE members?

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 07:07 AM

That was the whole band, and IMO they smartly changed the name after breaking edge... but then they went back to being STRIFE before releasing the album and ended up calling the album Angermeans.

Without a doubt, the two tracks sound great. I'm just not sold on this being STRIFE because of the straight edge issue. To me, STRIFE is a straight edge band. Half of their songs that I like are sxe songs, they can never play those songs again without being hypocrites. Especially Rick Rodney, and as the singer that means a lot to me.

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 09:47 AM

Have you ever seem the dvd they put out? Te singer seemed the cheesiest of them all back then anyway. As a band however, they killed it. I get all that your saying as the people of the band matter as well. Not comparing them literally but the Biohazard and Blood For Blood issue this past year has tarnished my point of view of them. Now breaking edge may not mean a lot to me, but I am sure it does to someone like you. I will agree that hearing someone sing SE songs and not be seems very hypocritical. Makes you question the loyalty back then. I get people change, but you must move forward then and not rehash your old self. Then again, wouldn't we all want a Minor Threat reunion? So whatever fuck I said, I'm not deleting it. If it makes sense, cool, if not, cool.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 09:53 AM

This is actually why I have a ton of respect for Mike Judge. Dude has the integrity not to do a Judge reunion, as much as that would make him, because that band was nothing but straight edge.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 04:16 PM

I'm with Dave on this one. It's one thing for a non-sXe band to cover a song, but if Strife is going to get onstage these days, then they shouldn't be singing songs about being edge if they're not. Problem being that the songs people want to hear are about being sXe. I say start a new band or change the name and leave those songs in the past.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 05:23 PM

Song is abysmally boring, sounds like a 4th rate Pro-Pain.

But hey...they can still jump!
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 05:24 PM

and a big lol to the line in the song "my will can not be broken"
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 05:52 PM

Pro-Pain were quite boring.

I think Mike Judge's thing might be more about him just not being interested in any of it anymore whatsoever.
He had the moment, called it a day, went on with his life.

that being said, I am about to take a hiatus from drinking fro a while.....Salome....
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 07:48 PM

I remember reading an old interview not too long ago where the singer mentioned they wouldn't do any sXe songs since they broke edge. Interviewer asked why they didn't just change the name to Angermeans, and the reply was along the lines of, "everyone knows us as Strife, so we'll always be Strife to them regardless of what we call ourselves, but we don't feel right doing the sXe songs."

I only recently got into Strife from the recommendation on the posi/sXe/vegan thread I started. Better than most, and I've listened a lot, but not fantastic. Haven't even given this song a shot yet, but the first one BKT posted was classic Strife.

I dig the singer's beard.

Anyone want to clarify on the Mike Judge thing? I tried looking it up and found nothing. Would listening to the Mike Judge and Old Smoke album make it clear? All I can gather is that he's not edge anymore.

Diablo, if you want some support in going booze-free and and don't mind giving the same in return, hit me up via u2u. Would be a good thing for me, but probably not gonna happen otherwise. It ain't the same as doing it in person, but having the email conversation/reminder/support would probably help.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 08:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by random  

Diablo, if you want some support in going booze-free and and don't mind giving the same in return, hit me up via u2u. Would be a good thing for me, but probably not gonna happen otherwise. It ain't the same as doing it in person, but having the email conversation/reminder/support would probably help.

thanks man, but it's just more of a cutting back on things that are ultimately unhealthy in my life.
cutting back on some people too.
drank too much gin last night at a wedding as did a bunch of us and you can add up the rest.
plus i need to lose some weight, and have some short term / long term goals I'm looking at.......but thanks nonetheless

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 10-13-2012 at 09:28 PM

The STRIFE thing, don't play the straight edge stuff, either way Strife killed it then and obviously, still does. So I'm all about a tour for sure.

As for Judge, I just finished the ALL AGES book form back in 97. The Judge thing was I think drama, and life happening to him. Personal shit like girl back home, daughter and family type stuff. Then the separation of being having more responsibility back home than most of the other kids and members. Kind of can't relate to them when you got heavy shit at home to deal with. I know what he said in interviews and I may be way off, but I remember back then and it was way strange for Judge to do that. He just grew up. I don't know him, that is just my assumption.

That being said, Judge plays a show. I will drive to that fucker faster than a roadrunner.

Its weird, but in my mind I always lumped STRIFE as the closest thing to JUDGE in the new era of bands back them. The vocals and guitar riffs sparked the comparison I guess. They are both rad.

^^^ Also supposedly Strife singer wasn't straight from 97 on. So he supposedly was doing the In Defiance stuff coasting.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-14-2012 at 11:38 AM

i never listened to judge back in the day, but i liked that new song pretty good. not as into this one as the first, but that don't mean anything.

the issue for a band like this is that they're just not going to get as much recognition if they change their name. people have known strife years and s'trife' is what's going to get attention now.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-15-2012 at 06:50 PM

It'll be positive and negative attention, for sure. The guys that were edge back in that day will be down, the guys that were then and still are now with have mixed feelings I'm sure.

For me it's like this... I found this band and hardcore at the end of the 90s. I didn't know about straight edge but already was, if you feel me. Before hardcore, before straight edge, I was uncomfortable being who I was because that was the expectation of a "cool" kid in high school. Go to parties, drink, do drugs, whatever. Not my style, but I didn't feel like I could be social in that context either. Hardcore changed that for me, and Strife was a powerful force for me as a newbie to hardcore and straight edge. Boosted my confidence immensely and opened me up to this social circle that was like me.

When these guys break, it feels like a betrayal in an odd way. It's an added betrayal to have them reunite as this band and not be what this band was always about... and then to just say "oh, we won't play sxe songs anymore" rubs salt in the wound.

BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-16-2012 at 12:00 PM

It's too bad they can't play those songs anymore because "What Will Remain" and "Arms Of The Few" were two of my favourite songs they ever wrote.

I am looking forward to this album, but I get what some of you guys are saying in that it all seems a little strange.

BKT.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-16-2012 at 04:18 PM

Force of Change is probably my favorite track. "Convictions held to my grave" indeed.

random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-16-2012 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaveMoral  
Force of Change is probably my favorite track.

Because it's amazing.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 10-16-2012 at 09:07 PM

One Truth = the entire record. RAD.

Go To Top