Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Disney bought Star Wars
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-30-2012 at 07:02 PM
Disney bought Star Wars

http://theforce.net/topstory/story/Disney_Buying_Lucasfilm_P...

Holy Crap!

I am both excited and terrified.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 10-31-2012 at 12:16 AM

I'm going to go ahead and say that nothing good can come from this.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-31-2012 at 07:33 AM

Disney is a world power with a massive R&D...I bet they're way more concerned about fan input because they know that equals future revenue...whereas Lucas is just some crackpot who thinks giving stereotypical minority accents to different alien races is clever and that its a good idea to have an alien who speaks like one of the girls from Full House.

Can't be worse than the prequels.
mattybar

[*] posted on 10-31-2012 at 08:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  

lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-31-2012 at 10:41 AM

With the way Star Tours is put together at disneyworld and the level of disney films thru pixar this could be very good
I will see whatever comes out, good, bad, or ugly

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-31-2012 at 04:59 PM

My primary concern is the status of the EU and this Episode VII. I don't want to lose the EU to new movies.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-31-2012 at 11:42 PM

my kids are stoked!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 11:35 AM

They said there are something like 15,000 characters and 10,000 years of history
they can fill in the holes anywhere

no one says 7 has to follow the timeline and get into the new republic and head into the book territory
they can fill in between the end of 3 and beginning of 4

or go back in the the old republic and the sith wars...

a lot of disney's films are actually pretty good and I can into the idea of there being more to love and hate...
empire was the closest to being a good film, and when I was 7 when it came out I hated it... but as my film taste changed it became my favorite

like I said I will be there with my kids and we will decide then

I mean the avengers was pretty good
so let's give them a chance

thedog
Posting Freak

Mood: Deals Gone Bad

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 11:48 AM

i like the it.
Even if the movies they make are not great, i'll take a bad Star Wars movie over most of the crap that comes out now.

\"thank you very little\"
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 01:10 PM

I don't think they're going to go anywhere else in the universe with a 7, 8 and 9 other than directly following the RotJ storyline. They can easily recast the characters with some hot new talent, rather than pick some arbitrary time in the cannon and start off with fresh characters.

That doesn't mean they wont...I just cant see trying to re-launch a franchise in a new house for something as big as Star Wars w/o trying to cement a new cast in familiar roles first. But you never know. They can always wrap up 7, 8 & 9 and then make other Star Wars universe movies until the end of time. Hollywood is too re-imagining happy to do something new and original...but we'll see.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 06:01 PM

I don't think they'll recast. Episode 7 is supposed to be coming out of an extensive story treatment that GL has been working on for a while. And he called Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher in for a lunch in August 2011 and broke the news to them. I don't think George is pals with them, so my guess is that he wants them back to usher in the new blood. Passing the torch from the elder Skywalkers to the younger ones.

And Hamill says when they were making the Original Trilogy, George pitched the idea of him coming back as an older Luke 30 years after those movies were made to pass the torch. And the year Hamill says Lucas had this in mind was 2011.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 08:12 PM

personally, i don't think disney will fuck it up that bad. but i do hope they keep some semblance of chronological story telling. i just don't want to have to think too hard about who's related to who!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 12:32 PM

Yeah I'm almost positive that Hamill and Fischer would come back since they don't have much else going on but D list celeb tours and voice appearances...I don't know that I want 2015 Carrie Fischer forever damaging my image of Princess Liea though...

I guess they could throw buckets of money at Harrison Ford.

Again though....these seem to be George Lucas ideas...not Disney...his track record sucks...he probably still wants her in the slave girl outfit at 60. We'll see.

There's also some speculation over the first movie at AICN that actually seems logical to an extent with writers that have nothing to do w/ Lucas.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59411
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 07:16 PM

It's Lucas's story treatment and his execution is awful. His ideas are generally golden, he just needs other people to reign him in from time to time. That's what made the original trilogy so great... his ideas were fantastic but sometimes got a little out of hand or too wonky and Leah Brackett and Gary Kurtz got him to focus. Everyone that worked on the prequel trilogy was a yes man, and The Clone Wars too.

With Lucas as "creative consultant" that means whoever is writer, director and producer can say "look, your ideas are fantastic BUT some of this stuff should really be tamped down a bit." Which gives me some kind of hope that the Expanded Universe(novels, comics, video games for those that don't know) could be saved. Especially with there being a couple really good jumping off points for new movies built into the existing stories. For instance, the New Jedi Order series that ran from 1999 to 2005 ended in such a way that Luke, Han and Leia could have effectively retired and passed the torch to new heroes... especially Han and Leia's surviving twin children Jacen and Jaina Solo(their little brother Anakin died midway through the series), and Luke's then infant son Ben Skywalker.

They are currently at a point, after 3 books series that I felt were lackluster with some awful writing(or rather, awful contrivances that made the characters feel out of character) and some sketchy ideas, where Luke, Han and Leia can easily retire while passing the torch to Luke's son Ben and Jaina Solo(she's the only remaining Solo kid now, after having to kill her own brother Jacen who went Sith) and Han and Leia's grand daughter Allana who is in line to be Queen of a planet. They are actually going to be releasing a novel that is said to be sort of the last adventure of Han, Luke and Leia. They even left some loose plot threads in the last big series that I think just might have been ordained from George Lucas since they relate to a whole storyline he started in The Clone Wars that relates to the very core of the Force.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 07:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  

thank you
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 10:12 PM

It goes without saying that I have gone into full blown nerd mode in this thread.

Go To Top