Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Just got back form getting a health screening
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 03:21 PM
Just got back form getting a health screening

Held at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

140/88 blood pressure - bad(stage 1 hypertension)
84 pulse - 60 to 100 is normal
Total Cholesterol 161 -desirable
Body fat 27.2% - bad
Glucose(blood sugar test) 92 - desirable
EKG - still waiting. I'll find out monday

I got some real things to fix in my life.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 12:23 AM

Clevo, I can help you if you need it G. I'm going to e-mail you some shit.
necrobutcher

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 01:12 AM

Do you have a workout program of any type right now?

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 11:43 AM

None right now, but working on it. No excuses.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 07:24 PM

Number 1 thing you need to do is get your diet sorted out. I've been busting my ass training for the last couple years and I'm not cutting body fat as much as I want. It's 100% because I haven't straightened out my diet.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 10:40 PM

dave, you're a vegan...what's to straighten out? too much fried tofu?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 12:23 AM

dave's not exactly a fat bastard, so i think his comment is somewhat relative.

aside from a falafel once or twice a week that has some sort of non-vegan sauce on it (probably tzatziki), i've been keeping vegan for a few months. dropped 4-5 inches off my waist without any exercise changes or cutting back on booze.

it's easy to keep eating processed food if you're vegan in the US, but i doubt this is dave's problem, unless he has a thing for vegan cheese which is loaded with oil/fat.

i'm guessing in dave's case that he's eating a lot of carbs and also too much various protein without much attention to the source (i.e. not balanced for amino acids and too much fats from things like nuts in normal sizes but large "serving sizes").

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 12:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BDx13  

Too much cake and shit. My wife bakes tons. I eat way more bread than I'd like to. I hide my flab around my waist. I want to see abs son!

necrobutcher

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 02:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by clevohardcore  
None right now, but working on it. No excuses.

A good way to kick it off is walking. A mile or so a day is a good start. Try to do it at a good, solid pace. Map out a path around your house. Even with the cold weather, going outside is actually better for you than a gym (they can be an easy place to pick up a cold or flu). Get into the habit of stretching as well.

Also, if you can find someone around you, I highly recommend kettlebells. They are one of the single most effective pieces of workout equipment I have ever touched. The down side is the learning curve on them can be tricky.

I hope some of this is helpful to you. Good luck!
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 06:06 AM

And don't try starving yourself on some diet...it's short term and you'll put the weight back on almost immediately.

now that you know your weight and body fat %...go here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

read up and calculate what you should be taking in

then go here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com or http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/

get the app on your phone and use it.

1-2 pounds a week is healthy... anything more than that is abnormal and forced and something you're not going to stick to in the long term and your results will vanish as soon as you slip.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 09:10 AM

You'd be surprised how out of shape/obese a lot of vegans/vegetarians are.

Eating processed food and starches all day to avoid meat and meat by-products is probably more dangerous to your health than meat in moderation.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 05:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  

You'd be surprised how out of shape/obese a lot of vegans/vegetarians are.

Eating processed food and starches all day to avoid meat and meat by-products is probably more dangerous to your health than meat in moderation.

It's really about hitting up fresh, unprocessed food. Which is where I started, but have gradually deteriorated over the years. Though I'm by no stretch obese... I mostly have what I called my root beer belly.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 06:49 PM

100% agree, there's plenty of people eating healthy plant based diets. Don't want to make it seem like I'm knocking it.

Unfortunately a "lot" of vegetarian/vegans (my wife used to be this way) eat mostly processed fake "meats", pastas and boxed crap so long as it's "animal free". That's trading one cancer for another pretty much.

There almost needs to be a classification breakdown further, vegetarians and "vegetarians"

...then there's also..""""vegetarians""" who would be the people that say things like "I'm a vegetarian, I only eat chicken & fish""
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 06:51 PM

one of the best ones I ever heard was a co worker told me his daughter is basically a vegan now...

I said "oh yeah?"...knowing fully where it would lead

"well really shes just a vegetarian"

"she only east candy and tunafish"

I had absolutely no idea where to go from there.

Derailment complete.
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 07:25 PM

I think fresh, unprocessed foods are one of the big diet changes that can make a difference. You can eat as many vegetables as you want, and you're getting (i) a bunch of nutrients, (ii) almost no calories, and (iii) a shitload of fiber that fills up your stomach. You still need a balanced diet to have proper nutrition, but that's the easiest way to improve health while not starving yourself. Add in a good source of complete protein (maybe from a variety of sources to get all the essential amino acids), a reasonable but limited amount of carbs from grains/breads, and a mix of fruits, and you're on a good path even being a lazy fuck.

For the average person, this is one reason that unsalted, unbuttered popcorn is suggested as a substitute for other snacks. You have to eat a fuck ton of popcorn (without salt and butter) to get near the unhealthiness of a lot of snack foods. Is it the best thing for you? No, it's not. But it's a hell of a lot better than the shit most people put in their bodies, and certainly better than the snack foods it replaces.

Adding lots of vegetables is a way to eat a lot and feel full but lower your overall caloric intake. Thin out spaghetti with meat sauce by adding broccoli, cauliflower, and spinach to the sauce (chopped up finely if you don't dig them so much). Things like kale, mustard/collard greens, chard... those are "superfoods" that are high in nutrients and have damn near no calories... find some recipes. I've been digging chard steamed/sauteed with some garlic and a small amount of olive oil (still need some healthy fats, just not too much) and some water.

And yeah, it's easy to be an unhealthy vegetarian/vegan... follow the list below, and you're on the path to terrible health.

• Replace mayo with veganaise
  • Replace cheese with veggie cheese (still lots of oils/fats, and not necessarily healthy ones)
  • All the veggie/vegan sweets you want. Use damn near any sugar but white sugar, some vegan butter substitute (I feel like Earth Balance was a popular one, but maybe I'm not remembering right), and an egg replacer.
  • Lots of bread.
  • Lots of pasta, especially bleached/white pasta, and white rice.
  • Low protein consumption
  • All the vegan booze you want (gotta be careful with some wines and beers... Guinness in Europe ain't vegan because of the isinglass, but it is in the US)
  • Processed fake meats are generally not so healthy, especially the vegetarian non-vegan ones. Lots of bad shit for you with bad fats, salt, cholesterol, etc.

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.

Go To Top