Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anyone use dropbox?
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-25-2013 at 02:38 PM
Anyone use dropbox?

I signed up for it earlier in the week...anyone know any tricks to get more free space besides the referral system? I already did the beginner tricks on there and shared a folder with my work email for a little bump.

Figured maybe there's some secret tricks you dudes might know about...pretty handy for moving files between devices and home/work.

If you haven't signed up yet and you use my link we both get extra free space: http://db.tt/dyo1rfr4

I'd post n00dz to cancel out the callus link spam there but work only likes in house n00dz.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-25-2013 at 04:52 PM

Yeah, I also use Skydrive. I haven't referred anyone. Been great for sharing some pdf books though.

Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 1-25-2013 at 10:12 PM

BitTorrent just launched a new application called Sync which is meant to one up Dropbox. I haven't checked it out yet though.

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-launches-private-and-secu...

You can sign up for an Alpha version of it (pre-release, not finished) - http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html

One thing it doesn't say anywhere is how much space you get, which is kinda important to know isn't it.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-26-2013 at 09:17 AM

I had dropbox before when a friend on the west coast and I were swapping a lot of music.
Strangely, I don't know what happened to it.

So what is the best Torrent application to use these days?
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-26-2013 at 09:44 AM

Deluge or uTorrent. I'd stick with v2.x of uTorrent, 3+ has all sorts of extra pointless shit.

uTorrent 2.0.4 build 21586 is pretty solid, or 2.1.4 or 2.2.1 (I think). Some still swear by 1.6.1 and 1.7.1 when it was an uber light client.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-26-2013 at 10:46 AM

cool. I'll use one of them then.
We had bit torrent but I swear it somehow fried something.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-26-2013 at 12:45 PM

Still paranoid of any torrent after getting a cease and desist from HBO.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 1-26-2013 at 09:16 PM

Only used Dropbox once, when swapping some books with Random. I liked it. A lot quicker and easier than using Mediafire or RapidShare.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-26-2013 at 09:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  

What site were you downloading from? I've done over 20TB across dozens of sites and never got one :D

When I was selling seedbox servers (had over 2,000 customers before selling it) we only got maybe half a dozen notices sent to us.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-26-2013 at 10:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  

The basic rule if you want to avoid that is don't seed. That's where they get you. For distributing the shit.

Six66Mike
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-27-2013 at 04:48 AM

Applications that monitor swarms will capture your IP on the download or upload, it won't matter. As long as you're in the swarm on a public torrent and someone is watching, your IP is being harvested for a letter to be mailed out.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-27-2013 at 10:05 AM

never got a letter from anyone about anything.......surprisingly after hearing it from people

what kind of legal reprecussions do said letters entail?

seems kind of random that these people have time to be sending threat letters out to the general public or even monitoring what the averace citizen is doing.
Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 1-27-2013 at 10:58 AM

I use dropbox at work and at home, great way to share files.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-27-2013 at 12:16 PM

Since pirating is such a huge issue it's not really random...I'm sure they're monitoring common/amateur torrents and send out automated letters to anyone involved. It actually came through Comcast and not directly from HBO, HBO just reported the abuse.

Who knows what torrent I was using, this was years ago for Sopranos season 6...regardless it's a headache I don't want to deal with. I'll be the asshole they make an example out of with my luck. I'll just wait for the shows to be on TV.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-27-2013 at 05:42 PM

There are entire businesses setup simply to monitor and the companies contract the work out. It's all automated, they look for common file hashes to match content then send a letter to the ISP about Customer X who downloaded blah from blah. When videos get flagged or pulled from YouTube it's often automated too using their content matching API. Sometimes it's direct personal attacks (RIAA & GEMA getting Mega/Megaupload promo's taken down despite owning full copyright and having the musicians paid to perform).

Here's an example from MediaSentry who sent it on behalf of Sony:

Quote:
RE: Unauthorized Distribution of the Copyrighted Motion Picture Entitled
Terminator Salvation

Dear Abuse Department:

I am writing this letter on behalf of SPE Acquisitions, Inc., ("SPEA”) a Sony Pictures Entertainment company.

SPEA hold copyright and/or exclusive distribution rights in and to the motion picture entitled Terminator Salvation.

The unauthorized distribution or public performance of copyrighted works constitutes copyright infringement under the Copyright Act, Title 17 U.S Code Section 106(3)-(4). This conduct may also violate the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, The Universal Copyright Convention as well as bilateral treaties with other countries that allow for protection of our copyrighted works even beyond U.S borders.

We have received information that an individual has utilized the below-referenced IP address at the noted date and time to offer downloads of the above-mentioned work through a "peer-to-peer" service.

The attached documentation specifies the location on your network where the infringement occurred, the number of repeat violations recorded at this specific location, as well as any available identifying information.

Since you own this IP address, I request that you immediately do the following:

1) Disable access to the individual who has engaged in the conduct described above; and
2) Terminate any and all accounts that this individual has through you.

I, the undersigned, swear under penalty of perjury that the information in this Notice is accurate and that I am the owner or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owners of certain intellectual property rights, said owner being SPEA (“IP Owners”). I have a good faith belief that the items or materials identified in the attached documentation hereto are not authorized by the IP Owner, their agents, or the law and therefore infringe the IP Owner’s rights.

Please contact me at the above listed address or by replying to this email should you have any questions.

I appreciate your assistance and thank you for your cooperation in this matter. In your future correspondence with us, please refer to Case ID 848746253.

Your prompt response is requested.

Respectfully,

Vicki R. Solmon
Senior Vice President, Anti-Piracy & Theatrical Distribution
Sony Pictures Entertainment, Inc.

------------------------------

INFRINGEMENT DETAIL
--------------------

Infringing Work: Terminator Salvation
First Found: 12 Jun 2009 00:41:15 EDT (GMT -0400)
Last Found: 12 Jun 2009 00:41:15 EDT (GMT -0400)
IP Address: 212.117.167.126
IP Port: 17365
Protocol: BitTorrent
Torrent InfoHash: 8B2B7FF093C7993F1136670FD421422C995FA5A6
Containing file(s):
Terminator Salvation.torrent (1,555,350,231 bytes)

You have 3 options:

- Ignore it, the ISP is doing their duty by forwarding these things to avoid direct prosecution like iiNet here in recent years.
- Respond and say they are mistaken, that content hasn't been downloaded at this house, there must be a problem. The ISP doesn't care.
- Respond and say oh yes, it looks like someone in the house got this. I've found and removed the file and put restrictions on the network to prevent future abuse.

I prefer option 1 :) Though when you're reselling someone elses servers to hundreds of people at any given time, option 2 & 3 are often the answer haha.

Go To Top