Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: pantera behind the music
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 10:33 PM
pantera behind the music

I caught it over the weekend. I never dug them. Saw them live once as Sepultura was supposed to open but cancelled due to a knee injury.

Man, people loved this band. I could dig a few songs but could really dig their whole vibe. The show on VH1 really shows Phil to be a shitbum and the two brothers come across as super nice dudes.

I just never dug these guys. I love Behind The Music by the way. LOVE it.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 08:04 AM

based on things I've read Phil was in a really dark place and doing a lot of heroin and who knows what else. Phil seems to have come out the other side and accepted that he was a douche and made ammends with most everyone in the Pantera camp but Vinny wont forgive/forget.

I cant blame Vinny for being in an odd place, he watched his brother get killed 3 feet away from him on stage, but Phil didnt do it and I think that after that many years of being in Pantera together that Phil lost a brother when Darrel was killed too. Not the same lost as Vinny, but still a significant loss.

There was just some talk about a Pantera 1 off reunion/tribute to Darrel with Zack Wyld playing guitar. Phil and Rex want to do it, but Vinny wants nothing to do with them and they said it wouldnt happen unless it was the 3 of them back together.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 08:15 AM

Saw Anthrax on Tuesday and they dedicated a song each to both Dio and Dimebag. They had a huge mural up as well for him. And ya, that BTM was rad.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 11:07 AM

I love Pantera. Saw them on every tour from Cowboys From Hell until the end of the band. Met Dimebag at one of the early shows when I was about 15 and he was the nicest guy, he hung out and talked to everybody.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
JUICE MAYNE MSHC

Mood: new CF songs

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 11:48 AM

Not really a huge Pantera guy but I read Rex's book recently. I recommend it if you want a different perspective on the band. He has a lot of unfavorable things to say about Vinny Paul throughout the history of the band and a few to say about Dimebag Darrell as well.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 01:25 PM

Great book. I picked it up the day it came out. He's definitely not a fan of Vinny.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 06:46 PM

flashback to 1990.
Pantera opens for Suicidal at the Troc.

Phil jumps in the audience.
my friend clocks him in the mouth "accidentally" cuz they suck.

and always have sucked

big hairy cocks

you talking to me?

you talking to me?

fuck them

Well him really.

Dimebag seemed like an ok guy and so did his brother.

but the singer ....go OD...
Mark Lind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 07:54 PM

That episode of Behind the Music made it look like Phil was to blame. That's just not the case. He didn't shoot Dimebag.

I got a friend that is an insider in the topsy turvy world of heavy metal and he's given me some info over the years. Every single thing he's told me in advance has happened. He recently told me that the Pantera reunion thing is a go for this summer or next. It will be a tour, not a one off. And Phil and Vinnie are all patched up but they maintain a public image to the contrary because it will make the reunion all the more dramatic. It's show business.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 08:06 PM

dag, that's gonna be a weird dynamic

and I was a little harsh in my last post.

I do like 1 of their songs.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-19-2013 at 12:03 AM

i couldn't tell you a single song from this band. they just always seemed cheezy to me. i've just never given them a chance. perhaps because i'm an elitist.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-19-2013 at 05:45 AM

nah it's because you know better.

are you talking to me?

are you talking to me?
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-19-2013 at 08:14 AM

I never liked Pantera. It was almost 100% because when my best friends all got into Pantera they almost immediately turned into drugged out douchebags and bailed on hanging out with me.

SS76
Posting Freak

Mood: RAMALLAH

[*] posted on 4-19-2013 at 08:25 AM

Pantera has always been one of my favorite bands (nothing pre-Cowboys From Hell) I read Rex's book the day it came out; I thought it was really good.

Silence is golden but violence is platinum.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-19-2013 at 11:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaveMoral  
I never liked Pantera. It was almost 100% because when my best friends all got into Pantera they almost immediately turned into drugged out douchebags and bailed on hanging out with me.

hahahahaaa!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 4-19-2013 at 01:20 PM

I've liked most of the Pantera stuff since Cowboys from Hell, but have to admit that, that record didnt age that well for me. The other stuff did okay though.

I saw them open for Skid Row which was funny and I saw them open for White Zombie at EM Lowes in Worcester which was less funny and I think once at Rocky Point with Helmet maybe? I saw them at Great Woods with Biohazard and Sepultura and they sucked. The whole show was about weed and other drugs and it got old. Still glad I got to see them though!

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-19-2013 at 03:42 PM

all the rednecks I didn't like loved them.
so did the jocks.
I know that is total generalizing on my part but I forever associated that band with tuff guys with mullets and pick ups from Jersey.
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 4-19-2013 at 07:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX  
I've liked most of the Pantera stuff since Cowboys from Hell, but have to admit that, that record didnt age that well for me. The other stuff did okay though.

I saw them open for Skid Row which was funny and I saw them open for White Zombie at EM Lowes in Worcester which was less funny and I think once at Rocky Point with Helmet maybe? I saw them at Great Woods with Biohazard and Sepultura and they sucked. The whole show was about weed and other drugs and it got old. Still glad I got to see them though!

I agreed about the drug thing. When I saw them when Sepultura was to open for them, it was all about weed and shit. I can't stand that stuff.
MattyA

[*] posted on 4-19-2013 at 08:11 PM

Loved them, the whole drug thing was old. They always put on a good show when I saw them, the wall of speakers they had at there shows were so loud my ears still bother me.
Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-21-2013 at 05:15 AM

could never get into them, & I tried to like them once, but the only song I liked was them covering Poison Idea.......I'm not into Down either, but I liked Superjoint Ritual.

record collectors are pretentious assholes

Go To Top