Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Windows 8
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-22-2013 at 06:04 PM
Windows 8

Anybody try it out yet? My dad asked me how old my computer was, and it was coming up on ten years. Knowing that I'm beyond broke, he offered to buy me a new computer and told me to get one with Windows 8 so everything would be up to date. I usually hate trying new things, but after trying it out today I have to say I'm loving it. Still have to figure out a few things on it, but it's pretty fucking cool. It's also nice to have a new computer that doesn't take half an hour to boot up.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-23-2013 at 12:05 AM

haha, the half hour boot up is brootal! my inlaws have a pc like that.

i rarely use windows and haven't tried 8 yet. how do the tiles work for ya?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-23-2013 at 04:46 AM

I've heard nothing but complaints about it...and Microsoft already jumping in to fix thing like the missing start menu shows they thought 8 out about as well as anything else.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 5-23-2013 at 07:34 AM

There's supposed to be a big WIndows 8 patch/upgrade that will be free in a few weeks, rumours that a Start menu may even return.

Worst case you get a bitching new PC with Win 8 and just get a copy of Win 7 somewhere to install instead.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-23-2013 at 09:56 AM

Just try to find something with 7 on it...
since 8 hasn't been out that long, anything with 7 should be super discounted

mattybar

[*] posted on 5-23-2013 at 11:45 AM

Apparently it works well with tablets and laptops with touch screens.
Definitely one for Apple fans.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-23-2013 at 11:49 AM

I thought that missing start button would bother me, but really it's no different now. You put the cursor in the corner and lets you open a screen with all of the same options plus others. Flipping from screen to screen is simple as well. Once you fool around with it for a bit it's pretty simple to use. Granted, it's really geared towards tablet users, but so far I haven't found much that I don't like about. Of course, up until now I was using Windows XP, so I was stuck in the dark ages.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 5-23-2013 at 06:20 PM

I was building a new system around the time 8 came out so I got it much cheaper than it would've been to get 7. It is definitely set up for touch screens and the learning curve can be a bit of a pain but once you adjust to it it seems to run pretty well. I don't use the tiles and could do without them. I'd love to have the start button back though.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-26-2013 at 11:08 AM

earlier this year, my PC took a dump on me so I went and purchased a new one because I can't go too long without one because of work and stuff.
got a new fangled one with 8.
It failed so I returned it and had the geek squad repair the old one....which turned out to be an even worse idea as it is now dying a slow death and may go any day now.

So I ordered a new one, again, with all the bells and whistles. I had it delivered to my parents house and it's been in the box over there for a couple of weeks.

I figured I had to learn this new thing because eventually my work pc will crap out on me and they will replace it with 8.

So today I'm probably going to be stetting it up.

which should go great because I have been drinking scotch and whiskey for days on end and the hangover has finally arrived.....
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-27-2013 at 11:14 AM

started setting it up last night around midnight.
seems pretty intuitive so far.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 07:48 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2013/05/30/business-...

Start icon is confirmed and more of a classic feel for users who want to do some customizing. Bing powered search is funny though. I still wouldn't touch it.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM

Go To Top