Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 5/27/88 - My 25 Year HC Anniversary
MikeFromInhuman
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-28-2013 at 10:03 PM
5/27/88 - My 25 Year HC Anniversary

I am a day late, but at least I didn't completely forget.
25 years ago yesterday, May 27th 1988 - my first Hardcore show.
I was 2 months shy of 15 years old...so I was in fact 14, a Freshmen at Bishop Ford High School.

At what was then The Ritz, now Webster Hall, on a Friday night in the late 80's.
The show was 4 bands I was already quite into - SUPERTOUCH, TOKEN ENTRY, MURPHY'S LAW and the BAD BRAINS.
It was $12.50 to get in.

I had my brother Jon's birth certificate that said I was recently 16, that I used to get in, as it was a 16 and up show.

Who brought a 14 year old with a Porcell styled flat top and a (borrowed) white WAR ZONE shirt to a club on a Friday night? Well, a few friends who were only a bit older than me - namely Marc, Greg, Bryan and Glen. Three 17 year old's and a 16 year old, haha! All of which had already been going to shows since 86 or 87! Crazy huh?

When I got there - I was pretty damn....afraid!
Nothing but Skinheads, Punks, some Metalheads and many HC kids wall to wall.
But I was also excited, on a rush of total adrenaline - I felt like I was meant to be there, like I found a place where I belonged. I lied to my parents that night and told them I was sleeping at a friends house. I got caught, got a beating, but it didn't matter. It was worth it.

Some of you reading this were at this show. It is of note that HR did not sing for the BAD BRAINS that night, but a guy named Taj as this was the first of MANY quits for HR. But it didn't matter to me, I was at a real HC show!

I met people at that show and the shows that followed in 1988-1990 that I still know to this day. All because of HARDCORE.

Seeing SUPERTOUCH, TOKEN ENTRY and MURPHY's LAW as a 14 year old was such an experience. Fights in the club, outside the club, no Guidos, no parents - it was so wonderful and crazy.

After that night, Metal was "dead" for me.
Yes, this is true. I was literally anti-Metal for a good while as a teenage HC maniac.
Until I re-discovered my love of SLAYER and found SEPULTURA and KREATOR....but that is another story in itself!

So, 25 years later and I have made friends, made records, played shows, went on tours, made memories and most of all made a LIFE - all from this thing called HARDCORE.

The ticket stub pic may be blurry, but it is all there.
Some of my memories are slightly blurry as well, but my Hardcore ones are quite clear. Thank you to Marc, Bryan and Greg, Glen and all of the old Sheepshead Bay HC Kids. And thanks and hello to everyone who I have met along the way.

MCS

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 12:36 AM

Awesome!

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 07:10 AM

Great story.

This summer is the 15th anniversary of when I started my VERY short-lived hardcore band. Sometime last year was the 16th anniversary of my first show. I was 17. Nothing so memorable as your story Mike. I was from a hick town in northern Indiana, the bands that played that show were definitely all Christian hardcore. Still managed to be my first experience of Straight Edge kids and a table full of vegan propaganda.

I'm working out a plan to try and get all the guys I was in that very short-lived band back together in our hometown to hang out, catch up and possibly jam in August.

Dave
Posting Freak

Mood: .......

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 08:47 AM

Awesome story Mike.
I don't remember what my first show i went to was. nothing like your lineup thats for sure. It would have been probably in 1988/1989.

It was 16 years ago last month, that I joined TNB.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 10:07 AM

first time I ever saw a "hardcore" band live, I think was Sick Of It All in 1990 maybe opening for Sepultura, Sacred Reich and Napalm Death........ after they played, all the baldies cleared out of the place.
MattyA

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 08:31 PM

My first show was the spring of 1999, Ten Yard Fight at this church in Quincy, MA. It was right around the corner from my house. It was the only time I ever saw them play, was hooked after that.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 08:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JawnDiablo  
first time I ever saw a "hardcore" band live, I think was Sick Of It All in 1990 maybe opening for Sepultura, Sacred Reich and Napalm Death........ after they played, all the baldies cleared out of the place.

I saw that tour when it Toronto, I think it was 1991. I think the first show I went to that was all punk/HC was around 1992. It was Forgotten Rebels, Bunchofuckingoofs, and Random Killing.

It's amazing how many shows I can remember. Like most of us on here, (I'm assuming anyway) I've been to so many shows over the years I couldn't even begin to count them all.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 01:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Discipline  

I saw that tour when it Toronto, I think it was 1991. I think the first show I went to that was all punk/HC was around 1992. It was Forgotten Rebels, Bunchofuckingoofs, and Random Killing.

It's amazing how many shows I can remember. Like most of us on here, (I'm assuming anyway) I've been to so many shows over the years I couldn't even begin to count them all.

^^^^ Ya that tour was 91. Unless they played a show together before that tour which is possible.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 06:09 AM

91 it is then
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 09:16 AM

I remember my first shows/hardcore experience but damned if I can remember the dates. That's some impressive shit.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 09:59 AM

I swear I remember seeing a guy we knew get boot whipped by Nazis at some Sheer Terror show at Dobbs on South Street in the early 90s but I was stoned most of the time back then so maybe it is just a fantasy on my part......
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 01:18 PM

I swear I remember seeing a guy we knew get boot whipped by Nazis at some Sheer Terror show at Dobbs on South Street in the early 90s but I was stoned most of the time back then so maybe it is just a fantasy on my part......

There was a show in the late 90's that saw me beat the shit out a guy. Some 16 year old douche sXe kid wanted to impress his friends so he walked by me and smacked my beer out of my hand. I stomped the shit out of him and then the bouncers kicked him out. I was allowed to stay. I try to avoid fighting when I can, especially at a show, but sometimes there's somebody who needs a lesson in manners.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 01:24 PM

once at a Gwar show of all things, a parade of local Nazi dipshits came by to beat me up.
thing is, these retards didn't even know who I was or what I looked like.
they just heard, the Nazis didn't like me or something.
I was on the list persay.
good show.
we sold weed to Flipper.

Go To Top