Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Colorado could make history by funding cannabis research
LordActionWood

[*] posted on 2-17-2014 at 05:20 PM

You cant go wrong with any of the Trojan Box sets. Just pick a reggae sub genre and buy the associated box set. My fav box sets are the Mod reggae, skinhead reggae, rocksteady, roots, x-rated, etc. If you really want a one stop shop cd to launch you into what I think is decent reggae, just buy The Harder They Come Soundtrack.

If you specifically like Tosh, Steel Pulse....I might suggest to check out some Leroy Smart, The Mighty Diamonds, The African Brothers, Dennis Brown, Dr. Alimantado. Check out modern labels like Pressure Sounds and Soul Jazz for quality collections of reggae that are not boots. Cheap repress of reggae 45s are easily had..not so cheap OG copies are available for those with collector budgets.

Sorry to hijack thread but this reggae knowledge is one of the few things I have to share here....

I should make an all ganja mix and post it in this thread.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 07:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LordActionWood  
You cant go wrong with any of the Trojan Box sets. Just pick a reggae sub genre and buy the associated box set. My fav box sets are the Mod reggae, skinhead reggae, rocksteady, roots, x-rated, etc. If you really want a one stop shop cd to launch you into what I think is decent reggae, just buy The Harder They Come Soundtrack.

If you specifically like Tosh, Steel Pulse....I might suggest to check out some Leroy Smart, The Mighty Diamonds, The African Brothers, Dennis Brown, Dr. Alimantado. Check out modern labels like Pressure Sounds and Soul Jazz for quality collections of reggae that are not boots. Cheap repress of reggae 45s are easily had..not so cheap OG copies are available for those with collector budgets.

Sorry to hijack thread but this reggae knowledge is one of the few things I have to share here....

Ah yes the Mighty Diamonds. They were one of the first such artists I was turned onto many years ago.
My father in law was a reggae musician back in the day and is like an encyclopedia of information regarding all stuff related.

I'd love a ganja mix!
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 09:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LordActionWood  

please do!

thanks for the suggestions!!!
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-18-2014 at 10:38 PM

i've been asking lord action wood for a mix for YEARS. Make it happen!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
LordActionWood

[*] posted on 2-20-2014 at 01:45 PM

I'm having technical difficulties at the Sailors Grave QA studios. Let me get my issues sorted so I can bust out a mix.

I posted a bunch of mixes from a long time ago on my soundcloud...they are pretty old as shit.
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-21-2014 at 09:29 PM

new or old as shit, it's all music...:cool:
LordActionWood

[*] posted on 2-25-2014 at 02:32 PM

Cruel Situation

Above link is for a rootsier mix along the lines of the artists jawndiablo mentioned. I think this is mostly recorded from LPs since sound quality is ok. Most of my 45s are in the condition of Jamaican floor tiles. I think the song at 15:00 is a straight up Blondie "Rapture" Rip off...it might be the other way around. I need to research.

I may have posted this before so, I apologize if I did.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-25-2014 at 03:08 PM

my father in law had an amazing reggae record collection back in the day. he did a zine and stuff in the Philly area devote to the genre back in the 70s/80s. Sadly he sold all of it back when the family fell on hard times, or I would be ripping that shit to digital files. I think you probably have purchased records from his old friend Val who owns that oddball record store near the terminal that only seems to open if you call the guy....http://www.valshively.com/
LordActionWood

[*] posted on 2-26-2014 at 11:38 AM

HA! Val is classic! It's pretty easy to get yelled at, kicked out, get told no browsing etc in his shop. I have not been there for years. Its a fucking great shop with tons and tons and tons of rare soul.

He seriously got annoyed by some guy one time for browsing and I thought that was hilarious. I always made sure to had something on my mind to ask for in case I ever got yelled at for browsing.
LordActionWood

[*] posted on 2-26-2014 at 05:24 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/26/health/zohydro-approval/index....

Great, a new pain pill being pushed.

I am sure it has it's applications but seems sketchy.
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 12:42 PM
Repeal Prohibition, Again

Quote:
There is honest debate among scientists about the health effects of marijuana, but we believe that the evidence is overwhelming that addiction and dependence are relatively minor problems, especially compared with alcohol and tobacco. Moderate use of marijuana does not appear to pose a risk for otherwise healthy adults. Claims that marijuana is a gateway to more dangerous drugs are as fanciful as the “Reefer Madness” images of murder, rape and suicide.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/27/opinion/sunday...
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-22-2014 at 12:30 PM

racism and ignorance won the battle in FL for medical marijuana, but science wins this one...

Quote:
A 2012 Duke University study made international headlines when it purported to find a link between heavy marijuana use and IQ decline among teenagers. Other researchers questioned the findings almost immediately: Columbia University's Carl Hart noted the very small sample of heavy users (38) in the study, leading him to question how generalizable the results were.

Then, a follow-up study published 6 months later in the same journal found that the Duke paper failed to account for a number of confounding factors: "Although it would be too strong to say that the results have been discredited, the methodology is flawed and the causal inference drawn from the results premature," it concluded.

Now, a new study out from the University College of London provides even stronger evidence that the Duke findings were flawed. The study draws on a considerably larger sample of adolescents than the Duke research - 2,612 children born in the Bristol area of the U.K. in 1991 and 1992. Researchers examined children's IQ scores at age 8 and again at age 15, and found "no relationship between cannabis use and lower IQ at age 15," when confounding factors - alcohol use, cigarette use, maternal education, and others - were taken into account. Even heavy marijuana use wasn't associated with IQ.

"In particular alcohol use was found to be strongly associated with IQ decline," the authors write. "No other factors were found to be predictive of IQ change."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/10/22/n...
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 08:20 PM

maybe they can focus on violent crime now...

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-medical-pot-20141216-sto...

Quote:
Tucked deep inside the 1,603-page federal spending measure is a provision that effectively ends the federal government's prohibition on medical marijuana and signals a major shift in drug policy.

The bill's passage over the weekend marks the first time Congress has approved nationally significant legislation backed by legalization advocates. It brings almost to a close two decades of tension between the states and Washington over medical use of marijuana.

Under the provision, states where medical pot is legal would no longer need to worry about federal drug agents raiding retail operations. Agents would be prohibited from doing so.

and now we come full circle with the original topic...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MARIJUANA_RESEARCH...

Quote:
Colorado will spend more than $8 million researching marijuana's medical potential - a new frontier because government-funded marijuana research traditionally focuses on the drug's negative health effects.

The grants awarded by the Colorado Board of Health will go to studies on whether marijuana helps treat epilepsy, brain tumors, Parkinson's disease and post-traumatic stress disorder. Some of the studies still need federal approval.

Though the awards are relatively small, researchers say they're a big step forward. While several other federal studies currently in the works look at marijuana's health effects, all the Colorado studies are focused on whether marijuana actually helps.

"This is the first time we've had government money to look at the efficacy of marijuana, not the harms of marijuana," said Dr. Suzanne Sisley, a Scottsdale, Arizona, psychiatrist who will help run a study on marijuana for veterans with PTSD.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top