Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Group Unveils Satan Statue Design For Oklahoma
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-6-2014 at 09:03 PM
Group Unveils Satan Statue Design For Oklahoma

this is what happens when people abuse religious freedom...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SATANIST_MONUMENT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-01-06-16-27-47

Quote:

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A satanic group unveiled designs Monday for a 7-foot-tall statue of Satan it wants to put at the Oklahoma state Capitol, where a Ten Commandments monument was placed in 2012.

The New York-based Satanic Temple formally submitted its application to a panel that oversees the Capitol grounds, including an artist's rendering that depicts Satan as Baphomet, a goat-headed figure with horns, wings and a long beard that's often used as a symbol of the occult. In the rendering, Satan is sitting in a pentagram-adorned throne with smiling children next to him.

"The monument has been designed to reflect the views of Satanists in Oklahoma City and beyond," temple spokesman Lucien Greaves said in a statement. "The statue will also have a functional purpose as a chair where people of all ages may sit on the lap of Satan for inspiration and contemplation."

The Satanic Temple maintains that the Oklahoma Legislature's decision to authorize a privately funded Ten Commandments monument at the Capitol opened the door for its statue. The Ten Commandments monument was placed on the north steps of the building in 2012, and the Oklahoma chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union has sued to have it removed.

Similar requests for monuments have been made by a Hindu leader in Nevada, an animal rights group and the satirical Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

In response, the Oklahoma Capitol Preservation Commission recently placed a moratorium on considering any new requests.

"Anybody can still make their request, but we'll hold off on considering them until the lawsuit is adjudicated," commission Chairman Trait Thompson said.

The push by the Satanic Temple has rankled elected leaders in this conservative state known as the buckle of the Bible Belt, who say such a proposal would never be approved by the commission.

"I think you've got to remember where you are. This is Oklahoma, the middle of the heartland," said Rep. Don Armes, R-Faxon. "I think we need to be tolerant of people who think different than us, but this is Oklahoma, and that's not going to fly here."

While Greaves acknowledges the Satanic Temple's effort is in part to highlight what it says is hypocrisy of state leaders in Oklahoma, he says the group is serious about having a monument placed there.

The group already has raised nearly half of the $20,000 it says it needs to build the monument.

"We plan on moving forward one way or another," Greaves said.

Another Oklahoma legislator, Rep. Earl Sears, called the group's effort "an insult to the good people of the state."

"I do not see Satanism as a religion, and they have no place at the state Capitol," said Sears, R-Bartlesville.

On its website, the Satanic Temple explains that it "seeks to separate Religion from Superstition by acknowledging religious belief as a metaphorical framework with which we construct a narrative context for our goals and works.

"Satan stands as the ultimate icon for the selfless revolt against tyranny, free & rational inquiry, and the responsible pursuit of happiness," the website says.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 01:13 AM

aaahahahahahaa, come on!!

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 12:28 PM

I'd let them put it up. It would be hilarious and could also serve as one hell of a tourist attraction.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 02:35 PM

This is why we supposed have separation of church and state... If one religious statue is allowed, ALL should be allowed. Hence why they should allow none.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 05:01 PM

This must be that "War on Christianity" Fox reports on 8-10 hours a day.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 08:01 PM

I blame it on the Jews....
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 10:18 PM

^ LOL...
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 02:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  
This must be that "War on Christianity" Fox reports on 8-10 hours a day.

Amazing isn't it? Especially since they claim to be an unbiased news organization that only reports the facts, while remaining neutral and without choosing sides.

Personally, I'm a die-hard atheist. I don't think any religion should be taught in school unless it's a religion-based school. I don't know about the U.S. but up here we have a separate school board for catholic schools. Where I differ from some of my fellow non-believers is that I think certain things should exempt from change. I don't feel the national anthem should be changed to omit mentions of God, nor should currency. Considering how much of an influence Christianity had on the early drafting of the laws we follow, I don't see the need to remove all aspects of it from court houses, or other government buildings. Sometimes history should be respected as it's how we made it this far. Again, I din't know about the U.S., but in Canada you don't have to swear on a bible. They have other religious texts, as well as a long-ass list of oaths people may swear. They have ones specifically tailored to each religion, as well as other beliefs or lack thereof. Some traditions don't need to change.

I still think the Satan statue would be awesome.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’

Go To Top