Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Shuttle Launch- Space Program- Does anyone care?
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 04:04 PM
Shuttle Launch- Space Program- Does anyone care?

Why is it so damn important that the Shuttle Launches? I am interested in science and space (yes, I'm a nerd) but we as a country seem to spend so much fucking money on the space program, what do we actually get from it? It employs a lot of people but why is space exploration so important? Seems to me spending on outher "domestic" issues would be more important. I did hear MRI technology came from the space program but what else? Anyone know?
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 04:07 PM

I really dont care at all anymore.... I was cool like the first 3 times, now its not even inreresting at all unless it blows up
CR83

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 04:08 PM

Oh shit, I wasn't expecting that. Nice input man.
KyleOz
* CHOPS OF DOOM *

Mood: Social Distortion

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 04:10 PM

I agree with you there. A lot of money is thrown into these programs but I don't see many results. I want to see someone on the moon in MY lifetime. Also I am not expert and will probaby get proved wrong with this query, but why hasn't nasa utilized nuclear energy instead of relying on fossil fuel. I think a lot could be accomplished if they made the switch. It would last longer.

I'd figure we have a moonbase by now, I feel cheated. Also where the fuck is my flying car?

angus yeoman: what are cats supposed to do? distract you from the fact that you\'re distracted by everything else?

http://www.myspace.com/kyleoz
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 04:14 PM

I wasnt saying the 'blowing up' thing to be rude. I dont want anyone to die in a shuttle explosion. I just ment that its the only time I even pay attention to it.
CR83

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 04:22 PM

Honus, I totally understand. Make sense. Kyle, what do you mean by fossil fuel? It is my understanding that rockey fuel is a Hydrogen and Oxygen mixture vs a petroleum. Jesus, I'm nerdy.
KyleOz
* CHOPS OF DOOM *

Mood: Social Distortion

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 04:24 PM

I meant on the launchpad when they actually send the shuttles out. I thought those canisters that fall off are all petroleum based?

I never knew that about the shuttle hydrogen and oxygen...who would have thought.

angus yeoman: what are cats supposed to do? distract you from the fact that you\'re distracted by everything else?

http://www.myspace.com/kyleoz
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 04:38 PM

yeah... no fossil fuels used. I dont think they pack enough punch to get that shit off the ground.
CR83

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 04:55 PM

Moron, I believe you are correct.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 05:14 PM

when i was watching this morning, they said the shuttle, while still attached to the rockets, was traveling at 900 miles per hour, and that was a little less than a minute after take off. amazing.

anyway, i'm kinda surprised... you guys seem to be thinking a little short-sightedly! (ok, that might not be a word.) "Space, the final frontier", yo!
1. get into space and put a man on the moon. check.
2. research, research, research. check.
3. international space station. check.
4. private flights into space. check.

where's all this going? private enterprise, new business opportunities, military supremacy, space colonization, etc, etc... i know a lot of it is still fantasy and wishful thinking, but i'm sure our government doesn't want another nation gettign to this stuff first. since it's inception, space oriented milestones have been a huge competition among countries.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 05:22 PM

Space shit is a waste of fucking money. The money spent on NASA in one year could buy textbooks for all the schools that don't have enough, and feed, house, and clothe most of the homeless in the US. Or they could use the money to pay teachers, cops, firemen, paramedics, etc. what they actually deserve. That money could be spent in so many better ways that actually do something worthwhile to help people who need it. Who the fuck cares about pictures of the surface of Mars?

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 05:32 PM

the govermemt shouldn't fund it, I mean our tax dollars, while there are such huge econimic problems right now...
just more gloss and shie I guess to make you feel good....

it should be private enterprise doing all the work....
but then you have idiots with lots of rocket fuel, and a building in a county they don't like....
or just an untrained asshole who loses control of the thing and lots of innocent people get smoked
the private corporation would just write it off as a loss and say they were sorry and it's back to business as ususal...
tough topic
I want to go to space in my life time
but I do think we need beter propulsion systems
if I ever had the time I'd go back to school for studies in electromagnetic energy
hollymaconmovies

Mood: Drops of Jupiter

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 05:42 PM

Nerd Alert.

I don't have a problem with space exploration. Yes, there are things right here on earth the money could go towards, but let's pool those resources from other frivolous uses. Space exploration has actually resulted in a number of handy things we use every day. Think satellites: TV, radio, internet, GPS, search and rescue, phone, radio. We have to have an understanding of space to put those satellites up there and maintain them.

Also, as earth is a part of a galaxy, I would have to think that learning more about our galaxy and those beyond it could help us gain a greater understanding of the world in which we live.

That and everything Big Duane said.

defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 06:39 PM

I have no problem with space exploration, and wanted to be an astronaut as a child
just not on my dime, I think there are some responsible companies that should take over and let nasa more of a watch dog commission

and all the items you mentioned are important to this so called modern life, but they were developed by private industry, who had to sell the equipment to nasa in order to get it off the ground...
nasa might have said hey we need a satellite, but jpl had to build it.
too much goverment control over space flights at the moment
DAK
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 06:47 PM

word up Disipline
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 07:06 PM

theres a boat load of better things to spend billions of dollars instead of space shit
i dont feel like making a list
but i think you guys know what i mean
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-27-2005 at 07:30 AM

i have no idea what the US govt spends on NASA and space research, i'm sure its a huge sum, but i'm also sure that there are plenty of other programs they could be scaled back in addition to better fund education or civil services.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
vince

[*] posted on 7-27-2005 at 08:14 AM

Plus we need to find another planet to move to one all the ice melts here and everything gets flooded.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-27-2005 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vince
Plus we need to find another planet to move to one all the ice melts here and everything gets flooded.

personally, i think this planet will become too hot to inhabit before we get flooded out, but yeah... i'm in the market.

vince

[*] posted on 7-27-2005 at 08:53 AM

I read something about the ice melting yesterday. They had pictures from the early 70's and today and there was a big difference between the two pics. They also said that the ice helps to reflect the heat so the fact that it is dissapearing compounds the problem.

RomanticViolence
* Jennytailya *

Mood: Fuck U All

[*] posted on 7-27-2005 at 10:01 AM

I love posts like these!. I think space travel is awesome!.

Have you ever noticed how crayons are a lot like M&M's? All the colors tend to taste the same.
CR83

[*] posted on 7-27-2005 at 10:40 AM

Everyone has some great points. I was very narrow minded in listing technology we use in everyday life. Pushing the limits on technology to gain things like Satelites, phones, GPS... My main question is does this space program warrant all the spending vs. other social programs that in my opinion are more pressing? I say this after readung everyone's posts too. Man, you all have awesome views on this shit. Space technology and images and knowledge is vastly interesting to me but I know I could go without it to help our country here on the ground.
Ungodly

Mood: Useless office speech

smile.gif posted on 7-27-2005 at 11:04 AM

I'm not too interested in this launch until I see what they learn from it, because they aren't doing anything particularly new that I know of.

Exploring space is one of the most profound and meaningful things man has ever done and it has yielded and confirmed so much knowledge it's ridiculous, some practically useful and some not, or maybe not yet- we don't know. There is so much we don't know. If we stop testing the bounds of human knowledge and ability, we really are doomed.

I'm not interested in getting us to inhabit other places so we can mess them up too (in fact the idea sickens me as much as the overdevelopment now of the rural area where I grew up) and I don't care if the projects will ever directly benefit me in any way. I think it's a bigger issue than that, even bigger than some societal problems.

I agree have practical pressing human needs that need money and I agree, too, that space exploration is not the best place to take from, and we HAVE been scaling back the budgets drastically for it just like everything else lately.

Just my 2 cents.
:)

Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.

www.myspace.com/metal_mary
defstarsteve
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-27-2005 at 10:55 PM

I don't want anyone taking my posts the wrong way
I love the idea of space exploartion, it has always been my dream (thanks mr. lucas)
just not with the governments hand in it...give the nasa funding to the working class and poor in projects that might actually work, or even pay off some of the debt we have now...
we even have a trade deficit with mexico????

If the government would have been at kitty hawk we'd still be envious of birds to this day.
too much paper work not enough air time.

privatize it so we can all build our own ships and get the fuck off this rock

I have a bunch of new nerdy ideas I want to discuss with the class but I gotta run look for my new thread...
steve's silly inventions
hollymaconmovies

Mood: Drops of Jupiter

[*] posted on 7-27-2005 at 11:24 PM

And as I stand here in defense of space exploration...they screw it up, yet again.

Yeah, keep up the exploration, the research etc., but maybe we do need some form of privatization to get it done right.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/07/27/space.shuttle/index...

Quote from the article in the link:
"Pieces of debris tore away from the shuttle Discovery during liftoff Tuesday -- despite NASA spending hundreds of millions of dollars trying to prevent a repeat of the problem that caused the 2003 Columbia disaster."
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top