Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: London trip recommendations?
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 11:39 AM
London trip recommendations?

So the wife and I are going to London in September. We’re meeting up with friends one day that live outside the city and doing some castle tour, but outside of that nothing planned yet besides probably a city bus tour or something obvious. Any advice on any must see/do stuff? We’ll be out there about 6 days. Staying at the K & K George in Kensington if that helps. We’ve got plenty of time to dig around for stuff to do but never being over there it’s a bit overwhelming so far.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 07:55 PM

Man, where to begin...? Six days is a blink of the eye in that city.

What do you want to focus on while you're there? History, sights, museums, shopping, beer, music, theater?

I love that city and have spent a lot of time there, so i'm happy to throw out some recommendations. just lemme know what your priorities are. I'm sure matty and martine will have some input as well.

Whatever you do, definitely try to come up with a plan for each day. Nothing too formal that you HAVE to follow down to the minute, but since there is SO much to do and see, you don't want to waste time wandering from one side of town to the other. London is a BIG city. Line up a bunch of shit in one area and knock it out in the same day, ya know?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 08:27 PM

Honestly I'd like to see some of the countryside...but I have no idea where to start with that... I could spend 10 hours in the car driving through the country and never get bored...my wife, about 35 minutes, lol.

We're doing the castle tour thing (no idea, it's something she set up and our friends are scooping us for it).

Pubs and stuff like that I can find on my own. I'm not that much of a drinker anymore so I'm content with a pint here or there when I get a chance.

I'm sure one day we'll do the Big Ben, Eye, Parliament type thing...was looking at maybe doing a bike tour for that. One day we'll do the zoo and another the museums.

I'm going to keep an eye for any shows out that way HC or metal but any kind of site that reliably lists that stuff would help. Still way early for September bookings so I'm not too worried about that yet.

Most of the tours we see are stupid shit like going to Harry Potters house...so I guess I'm more or less just looking for any must eat, must see places to try and insert them in before my wife Clark Griswolds the whole thing and there isn't an inch of daylight in the schedule.
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 09:43 PM

i was in London twice in 2000

the zoo was a shithole, the only mistake of the 2 visits

London Dungeon was cool

Leicester Square and the pigeons was fun

Piccadilly Circus is cool to hang for a bit if yer into big city shit

London Eye was chill, the first time we were gunna go we decided to eat instead, by the time we got to the hotel there was a live news report of some muslims who had taken over a car and doused themselves in gas

bathrooms are toilets, hamburgers are beef burgers, tipping is not cool

an observant person can spot the pickpockets

i'll see if i can remember anything else
mattybar

[*] posted on 2-21-2014 at 01:52 PM

Posting from my phone so please forgive any typos.

When in September are you over?
I'll keep an eye out for anything decent.

There's a show on the first Saturday of each month at the 12bar in Soho.
12Bar is a cool spot, lots of punk, Oi, rockabilly, rock'n'roll as well as the monthly hardcore night. The kinda place dudes from The Business and Sparrer go forms quick pint.

Crobar is just round the corner. Great bar if you like whiskey and heavy metal.
Kinda like a metal 12bar, you get all sorts of random band people in there.

South Bank is a cool spot for galleries and good views of London landmarks. OU can walk from Waterloo to London Bridge along the river and take in Big Bem, London Bridge, London Eye etc.

Food wise there definitely seems to be a new burger joint opening every other week, some better than others. You probably heard of Five Guys already but they're burgers are awesome. Steak & Co is good for steaks.
If you like Indian good, head to Brick Lane in East.
I'm not a fan of that area as it's full of hipsters but I love how old that area of London looks. Proper Jack the Ripper style alleyways and such.

A lot of my American friends really love Highgate Cemetery in Archway. Look it up, some incredible stuff in there.

My favourite site for off the beaten track shit is atlasobscura.org

Keep in touch anyways, we should definitely go for a beer or three while you're over.
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-21-2014 at 09:28 PM

holy shit, just googled Highgate Cemetary, that place looks amazing....

Highgate Cemetary images
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-22-2014 at 09:37 AM

Holy shit....I need to drag my wife there and force her to take pics of me doing metal poses.
3rdDistrict

[*] posted on 2-24-2014 at 02:53 PM

I am banned from the uk
haha

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-27-2014 at 07:59 PM

goddamnit i love that city. wonder how many frequent flyer miles i have...

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-28-2014 at 09:57 PM

one day lads, one day.......
by time I get there I will be as old as the guys in Evil Conduct

Go To Top