Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hudson Falcon's Kickstarter
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 11:58 PM
Hudson Falcon's Kickstarter

The Falcons are recording a new cd and for $100 you can get some cool schwag and Mark will come to your house and cook you a nice Italian dinner.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2037056170/hudson-falco...
panzerkreuzer
Posting Freak

Mood: gang green

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 05:08 AM

a band worth supporting!

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 01:47 PM

I love the band but, to be honest, I'm getting kinda tired of Kickstarter deals. I get that downloading means it's a hell of a lot harder for bands to recoup recording/manufacturing through sales these days, but it's getting to be too much. I really don't think it's fair to ask fans to fund recording costs, the same fans you're looking to spend money on coming to shows, buying merch, etc. Maybe it's because I've never been in a band, never tried to come up with money for studio time and whatnot.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 08:24 PM

1) didn't they just put out a new record?

2) Discipline, I hear ya on getting weary of "the ask". In my book, as long as a band has a kickstarter level that closely mirrors what retail price for the album would be after the fact, I don't mind. For the bands who count me as a super fan, it's hard to keep my wallet in my pocket for some of the higher ticket items. But to me, asking fans to fund recording costs in advance vs asking them to refund recording costs after the fact is essentially the same thing. This is a very difficult business these day and people are trying what ever they can. Remember when poor Mark Lind had to write like three dozen personalized songs thanks to Kickstarter? I believe his words after the fact were, "never a-fucking-gain!"

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 10:34 PM

Part of the problem for me is that to get a digital download of the album you have to put up $15. So $15 doesn't even get you a physical copy of the album, for that you have give them $25. I enjoy supporting bands and labels that I like, but unless it's something really special, there is no way in hell I'm paying $25 for an album. One of the things I love about internet shopping is that I can buy directly from the bands/labels, and it's always for less than I would pay in a store.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 05:22 AM

The fact an mp3 cost $1 per track is insanely ridiculous, digital downloads cost way too much money.

However the $100 Mark comes to cook you dinner and $6 shipping outside the US...interesting hahaha. It doesn't say anything about location and the shipping would make me bid and expect dude to show up down under to cook for me for the low price of $106.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 09:18 PM

1) @ Discipline.... Ahh, I see what you mean. I didn't click through to see their Kickstarter levels. I'd tend to agree with you here. In a situation like this, a band is trying to get some money in the coffers in order to record. Cool. But the offerings have to appeal to the casual fan and the super fan to maximize what's coming in. Like you said, $15 for a digital album is a lot, especially for a casual fan. As a casual fan, if I could get the digital album for $9 in advance, I'd do it. I'm gonna pay that either way, so if it helps to have that in advance, no problem. But a super fan might pay $40 for the digital album...and a signed poster (or whatever).

2) @ Six66Mike... I'm a little surprised to hear you say that (at least relative to the smaller bands we listen to). True, there is no hard cost for the digital product, but small bands and labels are still struggling to recoup equipment costs, recording costs, production/design cost, marketing costs, distribution costs... The bands and labels new know and love struggle to break even, so they have to do what they can. (Don;t get me stated on the joke that is streaming revenue...)

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 07:08 AM

I was always under the impression that sort of recoup primarily came from selling shirts/merch and small bits out of door sales rather than album sales. I always saw it as shirts - door - album as revenue generators for the bands.

At least give me some hi-res glossy PDF or something that I can look at to go with the songs for $12 download and make sure it's FLAC.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 09:10 AM

You could do it like Obituary recently did, start a kickstarter for their new album with a bunch of hype about "doing this on our own w/o labels!", then as soon as it's recorded sell the distribution to Relapse and in an act of contrition make a super limited version for kickstarter supporters.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 10-12-2014 at 11:37 AM

Fuck Obituary if they did that. That is some straight up bullshit.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-12-2014 at 11:53 AM

They did it...and Relapse had an unprecedented amount of special editions, even shit like "Florida only retailer edition"...so people bought up like 4-6 copies and padded the sales of a really lackluster album.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-14-2014 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  
They did it...and Relapse had an unprecedented amount of special editions, even shit like "Florida only retailer edition"...so people bought up like 4-6 copies and padded the sales of a really lackluster album.

wow, that's nuts.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-14-2014 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Six66Mike  
I was always under the impression that sort of recoup primarily came from selling shirts/merch and small bits out of door sales rather than album sales. I always saw it as shirts - door - album as revenue generators for the bands.

A dollar in is a dollar in. Gotta get it where ya can!

Go To Top