Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Where were you the day the Thorp Board died?
SS76
Posting Freak

Mood: RAMALLAH

[*] posted on 8-21-2015 at 06:08 PM
Where were you the day the Thorp Board died?

somewhere in New England

Silence is golden but violence is platinum.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 8-22-2015 at 09:52 AM

Taking a dump.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
panzerkreuzer
Posting Freak

Mood: gang green

[*] posted on 8-22-2015 at 12:52 PM

maybe on facebook like the rest of you.
btw, is BD still alive?

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 8-22-2015 at 03:49 PM

BD is alive and well. He's just working insane hours these days.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 02:24 PM

I drank out of my Thorp coffee mug today at work...................................

that's all I have
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 9-6-2015 at 10:51 AM

My little sister knocked my Thorp mug off the table and broke it. RIP.
Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 02:56 PM

What the hell did happen to this place? Did everyone simply give up on msg. board posting or move elsewhere? This was a pretty active place back in the earlier to mid 00's.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 9-9-2015 at 11:06 AM

It was dying a slow death, and then a new Thorp was started on Facebook. It's not too active either.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-9-2015 at 01:30 PM

for fucks sake I have over 12K posts on here..........that's a lot of time
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 9-11-2015 at 09:03 PM

Yup. I spend, or spent, a lot of time here over the last 10+ years. Sad to see such a decline.

Six66Mike
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-12-2015 at 09:41 AM

Thorp needs to put out some more records!

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
lifeisabitch
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 10:48 AM

there will be more sgr stuff coming soon... and some new merch in the merch now store... Big D is alive and well as well as Andy, work is being done behind the scenes....
it is easier to just post on facebook, everything in 1 place kind of idea, but really I don't post much of anything anywhere except for work pics with as busy as I am...
miss this place but real life has gotten so good don't have as much time to be virtual, that is a good thing

morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 9-18-2015 at 07:50 PM

I still like to check out the message board from time to time. Definitely slowed down a lot though. I think the fact that most of us are friends with each other on facebook probably contributed.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 9-19-2015 at 05:44 PM

That, and a large percentage of the regulars are in our late 30's-early 40's. At that point a lot of people become busier with families, work, etc. The internet becomes a bit less important. I have no life, so I still lurk.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-28-2015 at 08:23 PM

I drop by occasionally. I'm friends with a few of you on Facebook. I didn't know there was a Thorp group. Am I in it? haha.

random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 04:22 PM

"Subject: Where were you the day the Thorp Board died?"

Probably lurking. Haven't posted or even logged in for a bit, but still checking in. Nice to see some of the old regulars never left.

Not on the Facebook group. OK, not on Facebook. Might be in a closer time zone a year from now, though, in case the board is still alive (even if just on life support).

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
MattyA

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 10:07 PM

Exactly what discipline said, busy with life.
Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

[*] posted on 10-17-2015 at 06:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Discipline  
That, and a large percentage of the regulars are in our late 30's-early 40's. At that point a lot of people become busier with families, work, etc. The internet becomes a bit less important. I have no life, so I still lurk.
This is a bit of a long post that sort of rambles around several different topics, but to begin with, Your "I have no life" statement unfortunately/fortunately(?) describes me as well. No wife, no kids, no family....yep. No life. Some great friends (whom 9 out of 10 have either already been divorced once or twice and/or are on their second or third marriage or have divorced once and that fucked them up to the point that they have remained single ever since or, for the 1 of 10 that are STILL actually married? They seem so miserable it's unreal. That 10% tell me "we're staying together for the kids"...which sounds noble and all, but? Are you doing MORE damage by staying together while hating one another than you would be if you simply divorced?).....Damn, I'm glad I never did marry. I was in an 8 yr. relationship. Beautiful girl. Great figure. I looked her up on Facebook a few years ago and she's HUGE. NO, that did NOT make me feel good AT ALL to see her in such a way (we just grew apart, I have no ill will towards her at all. I was her first everything....from kiss to virginity and she was [usually] GREAT to me, I was just an idiot often times and took advantage of that fact).

She married a guy that just being purely honest is NOT a very great looking guy but he DID come from a family flush with $$$. I don't know if she just got "comfortable" in the marriage or if it was in her genes to, at a certain age, "fill out" (EXTREMELY).

I felt SO SORRY for her.

But I can't lie. I'm SO HAPPY that I did not marry her or the other girl that I came very close to marrying. Both would have been mistakes.

Most of my friends also have children and they tell me that I'm missing out big time via the fact that I do not have any children of my own. I "get" what they are saying, but at 39 years of age? I'm happy to be child free.

Maybe there will come a day when I will "have a life" and either be married or have children and all that good jazz. But I'm okay "having no life" for now. Maybe I'm just a selfish SOB, but I LOVE the fact that *I* am the only person that I am responsible for right now.

It's weird the way diff. msg. boards are. I know of some that, as the regular posters have aged? They post MORE (and are MORE "cranky" as well). It's sort of like an "escape" from their real lives or something to that effect. Whereas, with other forums? Once the regulars aged into their early to late 40's? Those forums became virtual ghost towns (I guess this forum would fit that profile for the most part).

I got home internet access in July of 1998 (I'm sure many had home internet access prior to that). But I have been online ever since. At some point, during my first year of being online, I discovered Usenet and various Newsgroups and posted often to those. Then, EZ Board became the big thing. Then PhpBB, etc. Of course, in-between all of that was the once KING "MySpace" (full disclosure? I LOVED MySpace....I will NEVER like Facebook the way I once did MySpace). In the final years of MySpace's dominance, there came a little site called Youtube. And then? The dreaded FB. (even the comment sections of MANY websites these days force you to post from a FB account...FB has REALLY "centralized" the internet). Google Blogs began blocking SO MANY great blogs (I remember back around 2007/2008? If you wanted an album and absolutely COULD NOT find it ANYWHERE? You could turn to the Google Blog search and almost like clockwork? You'd find it. It was amazing (while it lasted). I'm talking incredibly RARE and OOP albums (for example, the old punk band The Depressions, who, after a stabbing death at one of their shows changed their name to the DP's for their second album. I could not find it ANYWHERE and I was a HUGE Depressions fan.....until good ole Google Blog search! BOOM. There it was! Much more poppy, but what the hell? I love it nonetheless).

Okay, I have went WAY the hell off topic here (this is a post that finds myself being very nostalgic, longing for the days of old....every bit as much as it finds me being thankful that I can still be an immature jackass If I WANT to be because I have no one to bitch at me or whine about it if I am).....

I not only miss the days when the Thorp Board was more inundated with posts/topics/etc.....but I miss the days of the internet of old altogether. The internet has REALLY changed IMO since the advent of Facebook becoming so huge. IMO, it has NOT been a change for the better either. But that is simply MY opinion.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-29-2015 at 04:22 PM

IMO, it has NOT been a change for the better either.

Nailed it.
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 10-31-2015 at 01:41 PM

I was 19 when I first posted on this board, now I'm 28 with a real job. Still lurk here frequently, post every once in a while.

Quote:

I not only miss the days when the Thorp Board was more inundated with posts/topics/etc.....but I miss the days of the internet of old altogether. The internet has REALLY changed IMO since the advent of Facebook becoming so huge. IMO, it has NOT been a change for the better either. But that is simply MY opinion.

There are plenty of boards that are still as they were before facebook got big. I think the big problem is that this was always a small, tight knit community. When the handful of regulars stopped posting frequently the impact was far greater than on much bigger forums.

Wasn't aware of the facebook group though, anyone got the link for that?
sentrand
Posting Freak

Mood: hate riot 513,sheer terror, yuppicide, joe coffee

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 07:52 PM

probably facebook

I'm a jerk. All night,I'm seeing Sentrand and thinking "Where do I know that guy from?".
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 11-2-2015 at 10:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle  
Quote: Originally posted by Discipline  
This is a bit of a long post that sort of rambles around several different topics, but to begin with, Your "I have no life" statement unfortunately/fortunately(?) describes me as well. No wife, no kids, no family....yep. No life. Some great friends (whom 9 out of 10 have either already been divorced once or twice and/or are on their second or third marriage or have divorced once and that fucked them up to the point that they have remained single ever since or, for the 1 of 10 that are STILL actually married? They seem so miserable it's unreal. That 10% tell me "we're staying together for the kids"...which sounds noble and all, but? Are you doing MORE damage by staying together while hating one another than you would be if you simply divorced?).....Damn, I'm glad I never did marry. I was in an 8 yr. relationship. Beautiful girl. Great figure. I looked her up on Facebook a few years ago and she's HUGE. NO, that did NOT make me feel good AT ALL to see her in such a way (we just grew apart, I have no ill will towards her at all. I was her first everything....from kiss to virginity and she was [usually] GREAT to me, I was just an idiot often times and took advantage of that fact).

She married a guy that just being purely honest is NOT a very great looking guy but he DID come from a family flush with $$$. I don't know if she just got "comfortable" in the marriage or if it was in her genes to, at a certain age, "fill out" (EXTREMELY).

I felt SO SORRY for her.

But I can't lie. I'm SO HAPPY that I did not marry her or the other girl that I came very close to marrying. Both would have been mistakes.

Most of my friends also have children and they tell me that I'm missing out big time via the fact that I do not have any children of my own. I "get" what they are saying, but at 39 years of age? I'm happy to be child free.

Maybe there will come a day when I will "have a life" and either be married or have children and all that good jazz. But I'm okay "having no life" for now. Maybe I'm just a selfish SOB, but I LOVE the fact that *I* am the only person that I am responsible for right now.

It's weird the way diff. msg. boards are. I know of some that, as the regular posters have aged? They post MORE (and are MORE "cranky" as well). It's sort of like an "escape" from their real lives or something to that effect. Whereas, with other forums? Once the regulars aged into their early to late 40's? Those forums became virtual ghost towns (I guess this forum would fit that profile for the most part).

I got home internet access in July of 1998 (I'm sure many had home internet access prior to that). But I have been online ever since. At some point, during my first year of being online, I discovered Usenet and various Newsgroups and posted often to those. Then, EZ Board became the big thing. Then PhpBB, etc. Of course, in-between all of that was the once KING "MySpace" (full disclosure? I LOVED MySpace....I will NEVER like Facebook the way I once did MySpace). In the final years of MySpace's dominance, there came a little site called Youtube. And then? The dreaded FB. (even the comment sections of MANY websites these days force you to post from a FB account...FB has REALLY "centralized" the internet). Google Blogs began blocking SO MANY great blogs (I remember back around 2007/2008? If you wanted an album and absolutely COULD NOT find it ANYWHERE? You could turn to the Google Blog search and almost like clockwork? You'd find it. It was amazing (while it lasted). I'm talking incredibly RARE and OOP albums (for example, the old punk band The Depressions, who, after a stabbing death at one of their shows changed their name to the DP's for their second album. I could not find it ANYWHERE and I was a HUGE Depressions fan.....until good ole Google Blog search! BOOM. There it was! Much more poppy, but what the hell? I love it nonetheless).

Okay, I have went WAY the hell off topic here (this is a post that finds myself being very nostalgic, longing for the days of old....every bit as much as it finds me being thankful that I can still be an immature jackass If I WANT to be because I have no one to bitch at me or whine about it if I am).....

I get that. I never, at any point in my life, wanted to have kids. I don't like them all that much, and I would be a terrible parent. Never cared about marriage, but after a long relationship I realized I would a terrible husband. A lot of that comes from realizing I'm a selfish bastard. I want to do what I want, without having to worry about what the wife or kids want. For the most part, I prefer my own company to that of others. My kids have paws, and I like it that way, since I like cats far more than people.

There are things I'd like to change, I wish I could get my back fixed up enough so I could go back to work again, but unfortunately that isn't going to happen. Plus I'm a mental case, so I'm fucked either way. I just wish workers comp paid as much as people think. So life goes on as it tends to do. I make what I can out of it. New Sheer Terror records always help.:P

forsaken

[*] posted on 1-14-2016 at 08:08 AM

Well I've been on life support, in a coma and learning to walk and type again. Don't know what everyone elses excuse is.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 09:09 AM

Wait, what?

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 1-21-2016 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by forsaken  
Well I've been on life support, in a coma and learning to walk and type again. Don't know what everyone elses excuse is.

Seriously? Dude, what the fuck happened, and are going to be okay going forward?

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top