Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lemmy's gone
random
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-29-2015 at 09:32 AM
Lemmy's gone

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/dec/29/lemmy-lead-sing...

Please read and, if you can, help out a friend: http://www.gofundme.com/jacobmedical.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 12-29-2015 at 09:32 PM

One of the greatest of all time. If there's an afterlife, he'll have a bottomless glass of Jack and a blond on each arm.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 01:28 AM

I cried like a fucking baby watching his memorial service. Lemmy/Motorhead = my ALL TIME favorite band - EVER. And it's been so for YEARS and YEARS. Losing Lemmy hit me incredibly HARD. I'm SO HAPPY for him, however, that he did not have to suffer the rigors of cancer. 2 days? He just went to sleep and never woke up. When can all hope to be so lucky.

Understand, I KNOW he was hurting over the course of this past year +. But "hurting" and KNOWING that you are DYING? That's 2 VERY different things. Hell, *I* knew that something was wrong back on (I think it was Sept.01) - when had to cancel the remainder of the Emo's gig after just essentially 2.5 tracks and he came back out, and he apologized to the crowd and he said "Next time, okay?". I hate to say this, but, I said to myself after hearing him say "Next time"? "This KILLS me to even *think* this - but I doubt that there will be a "next time". Unfortunately, I was correct.

At the memorial, his son Paul admitted that the previous month, Aug., he was pretty certain that his father knew that something pretty bad was going on health wise. (You'd have to be blind to have NOT seen it). I watched the final show in Berlin and you can hear his speech difficulty and during "Whorehouse Blues", when he doesn't have his bass and it's simply him and the mic? You can see him shaking pretty bad.

2 days later, in the 13th, a couple of people - one being Steve Vai? They essentially mentioned (in my more poignant wording) that they pretty much knew that they were never going to see Lemmy alive again....that this was it). Vai's written tribute literally brought me to tears.

I turned 40 on Jan. 23 and this was a man whose music had been my world since I was 10 years old - 1986. Campbell and Wurzel were in the band (since FEB. 2014 - R.I.P. to both Wurzel and Phil Taylor as well) - and therefore, THAT is the version that I first saw, that I first got into. Yes, the original version with Fast Eddie Clarke was amazing and I'll always cherish those albums. But, I'm one of those weirdos that prefers "The Birthday Party" to their #1 album, "Live @ Hammersmith". I still remember MTV playing the live version of "Mean Machine" from TBP - and I was fucking obsessed.

I still haven't fully processed the fact that he is gone. It will take a while.

R.I.P. Lemmy, there will truly NEVER EVER EVER be another one like you. The world is a FAR lesser place with you now no longer a part of it.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 05:37 PM

I understand EXACTLY how you feel. Motorhead has been on the playlist of my life for over 25 years. Saw them a bunch of times, including the 20, 25, and 30th anniversary tours. At least he made it to see Motorhead reach 40 years. Too many people are dying lately. I realize it comes with age, those we look up to and care about are getting older at the same time.

On a side note, a couple of days after Lemmy died I saw that Campbell and Dee put out a press release stating that Motorhead was officially over. The band would not continue forward. Well no shit guys. They both spent a lot of years in the band, especially Campbell, but Lemmy WAS Motorhead. I can't believe anybody in the world would be dumb enough to think the band would just replace Lemmy and keep going. I'm hoping they only put out the release because of stupid questions.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Monkey_Julius_BoWaffle

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 02:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Discipline  
I understand EXACTLY how you feel. Motorhead has been on the playlist of my life for over 25 years. Saw them a bunch of times, including the 20, 25, and 30th anniversary tours. At least he made it to see Motorhead reach 40 years. Too many people are dying lately. I realize it comes with age, those we look up to and care about are getting older at the same time.

On a side note, a couple of days after Lemmy died I saw that Campbell and Dee put out a press release stating that Motorhead was officially over. The band would not continue forward. Well no shit guys. They both spent a lot of years in the band, especially Campbell, but Lemmy WAS Motorhead. I can't believe anybody in the world would be dumb enough to think the band would just replace Lemmy and keep going. I'm hoping they only put out the release because of stupid questions.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that it was due to being asked about it by various press. Like you (and even THEY) said: "LEMMY WAS MOTORHEAD"! PERIOD.

I can not even imagine the IRE that they or anyone else would draw if they even attempted to go out as Motorhead with a "Lemmy replacement". They would potentially be in possible physical danger on a nightly basis and I'm not even kidding either.

Lemmy was an absolutely ICON. Irreplaceable. There will never, ever be another one like him. God, I still miss him so much. I just was SO unprepared for this. When Phil Taylor died in November? THAT was a tough blow for me (and from what I heard, it was very tough on Lemmy as well). Wow, little clue that Lemmy would be gone before the year was out.

This is one of THE toughest ones for me and I have to imagine that it's gonna take a while to really get over it. People like to say "you didn't even know him" - to which I say "yeah, I actually kind of did. Motorhead = Lemmy, Lemmy = Motorhead and I know Motorhead in and out and up and down. I have since the mid 1980's. So yeah, I kind of felt like I DID "know" him, to an extent".....

People that are just casual music fans just can not grasp what a much more hardcore music fan feels in comparison to what THEY feel. They can not grasp how having a guy like Lemmy around sort of feels like you have a guy firmly in your corner.

Go To Top