Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Do you workout? We need some input!
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-30-2005 at 10:04 AM
Do you workout? We need some input!

In a recent thread, we realized that many thorp board regulars were on the fast track to a heartattack, so I thought I'd solicit some input from any of you who do work out or attempt to stay in shape. Any suggestions for a bunch of fat old hardcore kids?

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-30-2005 at 10:13 AM

i have a gym at work, and keep saying i will start using it again, however i despise most of the people who staff this place i work in so i dont ever do it..it is nice and all too...id start running, being there is a track across the street but damn, its been hot and humid
eating at WAWA 2 meals a day during the week isnt helping things much for me either
KyleOz
* CHOPS OF DOOM *

Mood: Social Distortion

[*] posted on 7-30-2005 at 10:13 AM

I walk a mile or two at lunch during the weekdays.

I have been avoiding soda and snacks.

My cholesterol is 130 as of now, so I am not worried. My parents eat healthy so it is health oriented food in the house, it is just when
I work I get a egg sandwich, I should just get a bagel or corn muffin.

Lots of light repetitions on the universal gym in the basement.

Also my job is very physical, lifting, lots of traveling on foot and hopping in and out of the back of trucks.

I am going to take a few fitness course this upcoming semester seeing as I decided to go back.

angus yeoman: what are cats supposed to do? distract you from the fact that you\'re distracted by everything else?

http://www.myspace.com/kyleoz
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-30-2005 at 10:15 AM

chic fila is another one of my guilty pleasures which is evil
KyleOz
* CHOPS OF DOOM *

Mood: Social Distortion

[*] posted on 7-30-2005 at 10:21 AM

Another thing is it is hard to get motivated sometimes, you work 40 hours + a week and you want to take time to relax and go out. Also I like working out with a friend, cause doing it by yourself just isn't as fun.

angus yeoman: what are cats supposed to do? distract you from the fact that you\'re distracted by everything else?

http://www.myspace.com/kyleoz
serenity

Mood: nikola sarcevic

[*] posted on 7-30-2005 at 10:45 AM

i used to workout til my gymcard expired and i havent had the money to renew it, but that will be changed late september.

when i did workout i did it alone, it gets more focused that way. i didnt have any problems motivating myself, just thinking of how much i hate everyone and everybody

it ends
GOLD GRILL
*ASSHOLE*

Mood: The Shins

[*] posted on 7-30-2005 at 10:53 AM

I am taking a protein supplement and this stuff called NO-XPLODE. I am lifting heavy 4 times a week and doing cardio (swimming or elipse machine) three times a week. Drink lots of water. I feel better than I have in years and my upper body is getting bigger while my waist shrinks. Only an hour a day on lifting days and thirty minutes a day on cardio. It's worth it.

I just can\'t seem to STAND STILL
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 7-30-2005 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GOLD GRILL
I am taking a protein supplement and this stuff called NO-XPLODE. I am lifting heavy 4 times a week and doing cardio (swimming or elipse machine) three times a week. Drink lots of water. I feel better than I have in years and my upper body is getting bigger while my waist shrinks. Only an hour a day on lifting days and thirty minutes a day on cardio. It's worth it.

NO-XPLODE works great. Protein Supplementation is so good for you.

DUANE, I have a ton of info I can send you that can help with Diet and exercise. I have been studying nutirtion and exercise for about 2 years now. I have lost over 30 pounds and have made vast improvements. E-mail me at Chris_Reed@innostaff.com and let me know what you would like to accomplish. I can help you. Thanks!
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 7-30-2005 at 03:00 PM

I'm fat and it sucks.

Not to mention I'm depressed and I listen to MORRISSEY. Also BRIGHT EYES IS COOL TOO.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 7-30-2005 at 03:06 PM

I have begun to. This sunday I will be going all out and run workout and eat better My lifestyle must change soon, becasue I am headed fro a early grave with the way I eat.
newbreedbrian
Posting Freak

Mood: doc watson

[*] posted on 7-30-2005 at 11:36 PM

i think it's a matter of if you really want to or not. like quitting smoking it requires a lifestyle change to stick with it. i decided that was it about 2 1/2 yrs ago and started eating better and got a gym membership. you wanna lose weight, do regular cardio... simple as that. there's usually a cheap gym (YMCA) in every city look into it. i just recently started running for the first time, it's a great workout and free. as for advice, start slowly and build. jumping in too fast is sure to burn you out. working out with someone is a double edged sword. i kind of like doing it by myself but it's a great motivator when you inevitably don't feel like bothering and it's great to have someone push you since it's often times a huge mental game

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, ?You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I?m just not close enough to get the job done.? George Carlin
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-31-2005 at 12:21 PM

it felt like i was going to have a heart attack while slam dancing to murphys law last night....damn that was a good time last night, wish it happened more often
jonnynewbreed
Posting Freak

Mood: Quite nice actually.

[*] posted on 7-31-2005 at 04:25 PM

Really though brian...you are probably one of the few guys I know that made a decision and stuck with it.

I go through spurts but other than smoking on occasion my wife and I live a pretty healthy balanced lifestyle. We don't eat poorly and we do lot's of active outdoors activities. I have a workout ball, some free weights and a jumping rope (that'll do the trick) and i've been able to maintain a moderate body mass although i'd like to be ripped at least once in my life.
Killthehumans

Mood: simon and garfunkal

[*] posted on 7-31-2005 at 07:19 PM

do what ya know....goto local high school track , put some tunes on the PA, and run around the circle like a nut

just take a look at the papers
your leaders
they\'re killers
they\'re liars
what they do in your
name to make the bodies pile higher
the murders, the terror
they\'ve done it forever
as we sit band and smile
at the script they sell us
but now the victims, they\'re rising
their numbers\'s multiplying
they want their revenge for the years
that they\'ve been dying
Killthehumans

Mood: simon and garfunkal

[*] posted on 7-31-2005 at 11:06 PM

or try this
http://www.punkrockaerobics.com/index1.html

and show them how its done

just take a look at the papers
your leaders
they\'re killers
they\'re liars
what they do in your
name to make the bodies pile higher
the murders, the terror
they\'ve done it forever
as we sit band and smile
at the script they sell us
but now the victims, they\'re rising
their numbers\'s multiplying
they want their revenge for the years
that they\'ve been dying
moron
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-1-2005 at 10:08 AM

I used to run. Now Im lazy. I always say Im gonna start running again, but I just cant seem to get started. My cholesterol is kinda high so I really need to start doing that.
CR83

[*] posted on 8-1-2005 at 04:50 PM

One of the best things you can do is write down EVERYTHING that you eat in one week's time. This will show you what you are putting in. You have to be honest with yourself the whole time.

If you want to start getting "Active" try to start slow. Just do an activity for 30 minutes, three times a week for one month. Also increase the amount of lean protein you eat per day ( ie: skinless chicken, turkey or fish).

If portions are a concern, take fiber pills (metmucil pills) 30 minutes before eating with a full glass of water before a meal. This helps cut down on the amount you will eat. You will feel more full and therefore eat less. The fiber will also allow your food to digest slower and in turn, you will be able to go longer in between meals.

To walk a mile, you burn just over 100 calories. That is almost equal to one light American beer and almost a full 12 ounce regular soda.

Consume less food and be more active. Commit to yourselve and be disciplined.
CR83

[*] posted on 8-1-2005 at 05:01 PM

Here's some info to think about. Remember 3,500 calories equals one pound:

Type of Exercise Calories/hour

Sleeping 55
Eating 85
Sewing 85
Knitting 85
Sitting 85
Standing 100
Driving 110
Office Work 140
Housework, moderate 160+
Golf, with trolley 180
Golf, without trolley 240
Gardening, planting 250
Dancing, ballroom 260
Walking, 3mph 280
Table Tennis 290
Gardening, hoeing etc. 350
Tennis 350+
Water Aerobics 400
Skating/blading 420+
Dancing, aerobic 420+
Aerobics 450+
Bicycling, moderate 450+
Jogging, 5mph 500
Gardening, digging 500
Swimming, active 500+
Cross country ski machine 500+

Hiking 500+
Step Aerobics 550+
Rowing 550+
Power Walking 600+
Cycling, studio 650
Squash 650+
Skipping with rope 700+
Running 700+
Ungodly

Mood: Useless office speech

[*] posted on 8-2-2005 at 11:47 AM

I find that most people know what to do, they just don't do it.

I've been working out for 7 years and I'm fully addicted. It was about the first two where I felt I had to drag myself to the gym, then it just became part of what I do. I really think it's more important to develop consistency, at least at first, than to worry about what you do when you get there. If you always go, you will eventually find activities that work for you.

Time is always a factor especially for those who have kids, but think about what a good example you are setting for your kids if you make something that healthy a priority, and teach them to do the same.

Food is a little different, but i think everyone already knows something they could cut out or add that would be better than what they are doing. Start by finding alternatives that are healthier that you still like (eg, if you eat chicken parm a lot, maybe you could get used to grilled chicken with red sauce and no cheese?). Examine those "I can't's" or "I can't stop eating..." to see if it's really true. I'm a vegan and I'm not supposed to eat wheat or soy and I still find plenty of delicious things to eat, so don't feel you will be limited by simply being healthy.

Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.

www.myspace.com/metal_mary
CR83

[*] posted on 8-2-2005 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ungodly
I find that most people know what to do, they just don't do it.

I've been working out for 7 years and I'm fully addicted. It was about the first two where I felt I had to drag myself to the gym, then it just became part of what I do. I really think it's more important to develop consistency, at least at first, than to worry about what you do when you get there. If you always go, you will eventually find activities that work for you.

Time is always a factor especially for those who have kids, but think about what a good example you are setting for your kids if you make something that healthy a priority, and teach them to do the same.

Food is a little different, but i think everyone already knows something they could cut out or add that would be better than what they are doing. Start by finding alternatives that are healthier that you still like (eg, if you eat chicken parm a lot, maybe you could get used to grilled chicken with red sauce and no cheese?). Examine those "I can't's" or "I can't stop eating..." to see if it's really true. I'm a vegan and I'm not supposed to eat wheat or soy and I still find plenty of delicious things to eat, so don't feel you will be limited by simply being healthy.

That is some good advice. Commit to this stuff and it just becomes a part of you.
BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-2-2005 at 03:11 PM

I have worked out my whole life and always been in top physical condition. Take a look at a kid in a wheel chair, someone that has been in an accident and no longer has the use of their body. And then think how much they would love to be of able mind and body, if this does not make you want to stay in shape and not take your health for granted you should be shot in the head.

MM.
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-3-2005 at 03:02 PM

ok, starting this week, i've officially made my afternoon snack carrots. not exactly delicious, but boy can i see well.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.

Go To Top